Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1949 Ford

junkyardjeff

Love that gar station photo. That car has a great stance. The AMT 49 Ford has to rate highly as one of the most significant North American kits of all time. I got my first one at the AMT Pavilion at the 1962 Seattle Worlds Fair. Pretty neat that it is one of the common kit classes for the last GSL in 2023.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

Now to figure out the interior color.

From what I remember, all '49 Fords had a grey interior, regardless of exterior color. That said, a custom interior wouldn't be out of place at all. With that cream-yellow, I think a nice tan or dark red tuck 'n roll interior would be cool if you want to do a mild custom. For a more subtle custom, you could do a beige or  tan (or two-toned in the brown/tan family) that would mimic the factory upholstery pattern.

Charlie Larkin

I followed a similar route Jeff when building my Shoebox by installing a Y Block from the R/M 57 Ford. When it came to the interior I rebuilt the door cards due to the near total lack of detail in the kit piece. Perhaps this may inspire some thoughts on how to approach your build...

F6265305-240F-491E-A505-5BF698820A62.jpeg.788d22d4e1bbe7493bafac4817bb0a84.jpeg

The 49 Ford has always been a favourite, Cheers Misha

I Googeled interior colors and did not see many original,I would like to go original on this one and wondering also what color the dash would be.   My 55 Ford convertible has the dash painted a color that does not really match the interior or outside and  has more blue in it so could the 49 be that way too,here is the car and the dash and interior.

100_6900.JPG

100_5862.JPG

100_7189.JPG

15 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

Now to figure out the interior color.

As charlie8575 pointed out the basic stock interiors of the day and Fords as well were pretty uninspiring. The materials were also not known to be long lasting and Sears seat covers were a very big seller. Using a '51 Ford that I owned as an example, the dash and the metal window trim were a medium gray with a hint of Silver. The cloth interiors were a rather itchy Gray cloth with a hint of a striped pattern . The picture you're using as an inspiration is hard to date but I think the shape and color of the California License plates put it prior to 1956 when they went to the general shape we see today and had Black letters and numbers in a Yellow background.  Should you want to have a custom interior I would consider something along the lines of your very nice looking '55 Ford. Or something like the picture Misha posted. There were seat covers on the market that resembled that and they were within most peoples budget. Not trying to tell you what to do, just trying to offer some ideas. build it the way you would if it was your 1:1 car.   

The color works nicely.

I like the interior on your pickup. That would probably be a pretty safe bet to use as a direction for this build.

Alternately, if you want something a little differnt, Scale Motorsports offers seat-cover decals in the pattern of western blankets and similar things that were semi-common in the cars of a high school kid/young adult in the mid-1950s-late 1960s.

Charlie Larkin