Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:12 scale Ferrari 312T

7 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

HI,

Go here to purchase the bolts: https://model-motorcars.myshopify.com/collections/small-parts-hardware 

I use 1.2mm x 6mm and 1.0mm x 3mm stainless steel bolts. They are too long so I cut them with some old nippers. I put my hand into a plastic bag when I cut the bolt so that the bolt doesn't go flying into outer space,

spacer.png

First I cut the plastic bolt heads off with the same nippers that I use to cut parts from a fret. Then I drill a hole to accept the metal bolt. I use super glue to hold the metal bolts in place.

You mentioned that you have some concerns about starting this kit. Is this your first 1/12 scale kit? Building a 1/12 scale kit is way different than building a 1/24 scale kit. I am a retired architect so I tend to be obssessed with details which is why I like these big scale kits.  I would think that if you have been building models for a while you shouldn't have any issues with this kit. Just keep in mind that these kits take a long time to complete.

Thank you very much for the info I appreciate it . Yes when I get back to building 5his will be my first tamiya kit let alone my first 1/12 scale kit . I also have 1/12 scale Honda , Tyrell six wheeler and the Johnny player car looking forward to the challenge might try to upgrade a few parts along the way . The Tyrell and hond came with the photoetch pieces as well . That will be a whole learning experience LOL will be watching this thread for sure . Thanks rob 

21 hours ago, JohnnyK said:

I built the six wheeler last year: 1/12 Tamiya ELF P34 six wheeler - Other Racing: Road Racing, Salt Flat Racers - Model Cars Magazine Forum

The six wheeler was a difficult build due to the complicated front suspension. Where are you purchasing your kits: great build on the Tyrell six wheeler  . The one I got came with photoetch parts any chance of a quick how to on the procedure for using them ? 

Hi I got one from Amazon the others were bought at a local hobby shop called Stewart’s hobbies near mentor ohio . Also have the 1/20 scale Tyrell six wheeler and the Honda . While do you think would be the easier build for a new guy LOL ? Thanks rob 

Edited by Jasper018

4 hours ago, Jasper018 said:

Hi I got one from Amazon the others were bought at a local hobby shop called Stewart’s hobbies near mentor ohio . Also have the 1/20 scale Tyrell six wheeler and the Honda . While do you think would be the easier build for a new guy LOL ? Thanks rob 

I have no experience with the 1/20 scale models. I would think that the 1/20 scale models would have less parts then the 1/12 scale models. 

Update March 7, 2021

spacer.png

I added a few wires to the ignition module. 

spacer.png

The ignition module has been installed and the main fuel lines and fuel filter have been installed.

spacer.png

Here is a closeup of the fuel filter. Stainless steel hose clamps were provided at the ends of the main fuel lines. 

Updated March 9

spacer.png

Seatbelts were not included with this kit, so I purchased an aftermarket seatbelt kit. The kit includes cloth seatbelts and PE buckles. The problem is that the instructions do not indicate how long to cut the belts. So I measured the belts on my 1/12 Lotus. 

spacer.png

The finished seatbelts look really good. Except for one problem (see below)

spacer.png

I installed the seat belts with the seat upside down. 😆

spacer.png

Luckily the belts are installed with double stick tape so correcting the belts was no big issue.

Updated March 13

spacer.png

The engine has been glued to the firewall with the help of some clamps.

spacer.png

This is the oil tank and one of the oil coolers. The tank is finished in Bare Metal Foil and the fins on the cooler are highlighted using Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color. I added Bare Metal Foil to the ends of the oil hoses to simulate the fittings on high pressure hoses.

I have a question for you.  What is the release number on the box and is it a Model Rectifirer kit.  The number on old original Rectifier kits were 4 digits, re-releases have a extra digit (usually a 0) to indicate a re-release.  No big deal, just curious.  I have been building 1/12 kits since 1968, and have several of bot the original Rectifiers and some of the re-releases.  Excellent work, wish I had the knowledge to build better kits back then when I was a kid.  MJO  WOW!!!

1 hour ago, MJO said:

I have a question for you.  What is the release number on the box and is it a Model Rectifirer kit.  The number on old original Rectifier kits were 4 digits, re-releases have a extra digit (usually a 0) to indicate a re-release.  No big deal, just curious.  I have been building 1/12 kits since 1968, and have several of bot the original Rectifiers and some of the re-releases.  Excellent work, wish I had the knowledge to build better kits back then when I was a kid.  MJO  WOW!!!

Here is the info on the box: Big Scale Model Series No. 17, Item 12019-4000

Item 12019-4000 12019 indicates a re-release.  If the # had been 1219 chances are it would have been a Model Rectifier.  Reason I ask is there are collectors and dealers who ask the same price for re-releases as the original.  I found out several years ago before buying a LolaT-70 that the price that I thought to be excessive turned out to be just about right. This is when I found out about the difference.  Hope you did not have to over pay for a super kit from Tamiya.  There 1/12 kits are excellent and the quality never varied from original to re-release.  Have a blast and keep up the excellent job you are doing.  Later, MJO