Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford Tub Show Car

Bernard Kron

DSCF8140-web.jpg
’32 Ford Channeled “Pseudo-Tub” Show Car
More photos below

Many moons ago, ago about the time it was first introduced, I attempted to chop a Revell ’32 Ford Tudor. It went ago until I lost a part of the “A” pillars. The rest of the kit was picked clean of virtually all its parts as the half-cut body traveled from one parts box to another, homeless. Recently I decided to remove the top altogether, making what a TRaK member name “Dub” had christened a Pseudo-Tub at about the time of my original ill-fated chop. Dub had built a fine traditional style Tub hot rod from his decapitated Tudor  and I had always intended to try something similar. But as I gathered parts for my Pseudo-Tub project I encountered a gorgeous set of resin diamond-tuft quilted bucket seats. This caused me to do a full 180 from a 50’s style traditional street rod to an early-60’s style show rod with a Duval style windshield grafted on from an AMT ’32 Ford Phantom Vicky which also contributed it’s chassis and cowl. Instantly this turned into a monster kit bash. All the parts sources and details are listed below along with more photos.

Revell ’32 Ford Sedan: Main body (top & cowl removed), firewall, front shocks and headlights, taillights, license frame, coil springs and shocks
AMT ’32 Ford Phantom Vicky: Chassis (2 scale inch Z at rear), front half of floor pan, Rear axle and suspension, grill shell, cowl, dashboard, DuVal style windshield
Monogram Lil’ Coffin: Wheels front and rear, rear slicks, shift lever
Revell ’29 Ford Roadster: Buick Nailhead motor including carbs and exhaust headers
Revell ’30 Ford Phaeton: Steering wheel
Aftermarket parts: Drag City Casting: Diamond tuft quilted seats, front Buick finned drum brakes; Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland: Carb scoops; ThePartsBox.com: wire-reinforced resin ’40 Ford 4” dropped front axle; Modelhaus Tires: T120A front whitewalls; Aurora Plastics Corp.: "drawer pull" grill from vintage #592 Custom Grills & Trim 1/25 Scale Customizing Automobile Parts
Scratch built parts: front leaf spring, tonneau cover, interior side and rear upholstery panels, rear half of floor pan
Paint and finishes: Duplicolor white primer and Duplicolor Universal white base coat, Tamiya TS65 Pear Clear (3 coats), “Fade” panel paint job done with home-made decals, all sealed with Tamiya TS-13 clear (5 coats).

Thanx for lookin’
B.

DSCF8142-web.jpg
DSCF8151-web.jpg
DSCF8152-web.jpg
DSCF8154-web.jpg
Final-Detail-Summary-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanks to you all for the kind words and appreciation. This started out as a casual project to get rid of some spare plastic in my stash but turned out to be a far more ambitious build than I had counted on. The turning point was the wheels and whitewalls which, along with low profile Phantom Vicky Duval windshield, pointed the car firmly in the show rod direction. A 50's style traditional rod would have been far simpler to do. The high-risk stuff included the tonneau cover and the large decals used to do the fade panel paint job. Frankly I'm surprised it came out as well as it did. And I know this style of rod isn't to everybody's taste, so I really appreciate all your comments.

On 2/23/2021 at 7:58 AM, espo said:

I'm glad you listed all of the components you used...

Thanks Dave! This was a true Kitbash-Deluxe project so listing the parts was the only way to give a sense of what was involved. For those who want to see some build details, including the model that inspired it, the decal art and the chassis, here's the w.i.p. thread:

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanks so much to all of you for the exceedingly kind comments. I'm a pretty improvisational builder so I never know for sure how these things will come out. I'm glad it's made a connection with you guys. Now that the dust has cleared on my workbench and it's found its place on my shelf now I'm starting to dig how it looks.

On 2/24/2021 at 1:17 PM, Bernard Kron said:

Thanks to you all for the kind words and appreciation. This started out as a casual project to get rid of some spare plastic in my stash but turned out to be a far more ambitious build than I had counted on. 

Gotta love when a casual project takes on a life of its own!  It becomes an important build!

4 minutes ago, Bernard Kron said:

Now that the dust has cleared on my workbench and it's found its place on my shelf now I'm starting to dig how it looks.

I get that.  My newest build goes in the "place of honor" on the shelf in our den with my big screen TV so I can look at it during commercials!   When I'm building and cursing at the project, it's just a sum of it's parts along with the warts and issues... once I step away a day or so and look at it anew, that's when I really can take in a new project and enjoy it as the car I intended to build!

12 hours ago, gseeds said:

I’m still in love with this build !! Bernard 

Thanks Gary. Your great fade paint jobs were, and remain, the inspiration for my experiments with this decal technique. As I've said elsewhere, I gotta solve the ventilation problem which is preventing me from learning to airbrush!

Bernard,  I have thoroughly enjoyed following your journey on this project.  The combination of parts was well considered and as a result, no one part stands out - instead, they all work together to produce a thoroughly believable result.  The fade away decals are very clever!

Cheers

Alan

On 3/4/2021 at 2:25 AM, alan barton said:

Bernard,  I have thoroughly enjoyed following your journey on this project.  The combination of parts was well considered and as a result, no one part stands out - instead, they all work together to produce a thoroughly believable result.  The fade away decals are very clever!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan. The decals were high risk and only done because I still don't airbrush, which would be a far better way to do it. But I do like the overall look that I got. And, as always, your thoughts are very much appreciated.