Model Cars Magazine Forum

Post Your "Should Have Been" el camino & Ranchero style trucks

7 hours ago, afx said:

Really like this.

Thanks, here is a rather old WIP thread, I keep for when I get some more bench time with it, being on this forum gave me the impetus to finish it out better than I had before.

I have acquired kits to build another, "factory released" version (another backburner project).

16 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Andrew!

Great car, bravo!

Do you know the coachbuilder who made those "cowboy Cadillac" ? Or was-it a "flower car" for the service industry? Just curious...

CT 

I can't remember who the coach builder was. And no, they weren't flower cars. Here's a video about them that has some more information.

43 minutes ago, avidinha said:

I can't remember who the coach builder was. And no, they weren't flower cars. Here's a video about them that has some more information.

Hi Andrew!

I did a research yesterday, and 2 companies actually offered those in the 70s and early 80s: One was called the Mirage, the other the Caribou. The Mirage kept the rear roof section and side window, in effect "tunneling" the cargo area. The Caribou had a canted flying buttress roof, a la Camino. Both are frequently offered at car auctions such as B&J, RM, etc. 

I'll try to build one in styrene!

CT 

18 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I have a couple of car based pickups. But, they have separate beds unlike the Ranchero and El Camino. I'll post them later if it's OK to post them here.

Lets see what ya got, all of your builds are AMAZING!

To everyone here, great work on all of these builds. The only thing wrong with them is that they aren't factory 1:1 cars and they should be! 

1 hour ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Rick!

Ever tried spliced styrene pill boxes, or Superglue clear tubes? I also use styrene-type rounded plastic caps that my wife gets with spray beauty "elixirs..". Round, about 1 inch tall and 1.25 inch diameter...

CT

Interesting idea, guess I will have to raid my pill bottle selection.

7 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Andrew!

I did a research yesterday, and 2 companies actually offered those in the 70s and early 80s: One was called the Mirage, the other the Caribou. The Mirage kept the rear roof section and side window, in effect "tunneling" the cargo area. The Caribou had a canted flying buttress roof, a la Camino. Both are frequently offered at car auctions such as B&J, RM, etc. 

CT 

I'm working on making one from the Revell custom Cadillac kit.

sMTymNU.jpg

Edited by avidinha
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Andrew!

CT 

I saw those when I was researching for my hearse build a while back. They are awesome! I might need to have a try at one of those too!  Claude, I am sure yours will be outstanding. Awesome job Andrew!

11 hours ago, mchook said:

Lets see what ya got, all of your builds are AMAZING!

To everyone here, great work on all of these builds. The only thing wrong with them is that they aren't factory 1:1 cars and they should be! 

Totally agree on both counts. This thread is getting some momentum Mark...

Just now, Steve H said:

I saw those when I was researching for my hearse build a while back. They are awesome! I might need to have a try at one of those too!  Claude, I am sure yours will be outstanding. Awesome job Andrew!

Hi Steve!

Tonight, I spend the better part of 2 hours with my caliper, trying to find a suitable roof for that type of conversion on a 64 Caddy convertibler (JOHAN!) I found last week for 60$. Going trough my stash, I found at least two suitable donors, that would make it less work. Try to guess what car roof fits best...

Cant' wait to start!

CT 

Just now, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Steve!

Tonight, I spend the better part of 2 hours with my caliper, trying to find a suitable roof for that type of conversion on a 64 Caddy convertibler (JOHAN!) I found last week for 60$. Going trough my stash, I found at least two suitable donors, that would make it less work. Try to guess what car roof fits best...

Cant' wait to start!

CT 

Excellent !! Can’t wait to see it.

1962 Chevrolet "Palamino":

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

A combination of AMT '62 Impala convertible body, AMT '59 ElCamino chassis, AMT '65 ElCamino bed, and MONOGRAM '58 Thunderbird roof.

The payload in the last pic is an award winning go-cart built by Tommy May.

• Like 3