Model Cars Magazine Forum

Post Your "Should Have Been" el camino & Ranchero style trucks

More great models guys! Keep them coming.

So, I was digging through some old models I got from a friend who passed away and I realized that there are a few that I built & traded him. Here is one from the 80s complete with all the awful thread plug wires & globed paint, but hey it was a long time ago. My OLD 55 Chevy...

SUNP0004 (4).JPG

SUNP0006 (4).JPG

SUNP0007 (4).JPG

SUNP0008 (4).JPG

SUNP0009 (3).JPG

SUNP0003 (3).JPG

• Like 2

On 3/10/2021 at 3:04 PM, Plowboy said:

My '36 and '48 Fords.

48324625196_30c14a27fe_c.jpg

48324741787_36679ac1ff_c.jpg

48324606286_3be98fd774_c.jpg

48324598646_30386cbcb5_c.jpg

49728218963_234968102f_c.jpg

49728217643_85682b1cba_c.jpg

49729079272_a0d952fb1d_c.jpg

49728208358_9a0a9b891e_c.jpg

Hi Roger!

Both trucks are fabulous, bravo!

Can you tell me what is the exact color of the second one? My screen seems to suggest a greenish gray. Am-I right? Great shade, I'd like to use it for a 72 Torino Pro-Touring that I'm completing. 

Thanks!

CT 

16 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Roger!

Both trucks are fabulous, bravo!

Can you tell me what is the exact color of the second one? My screen seems to suggest a greenish gray. Am-I right? Great shade, I'd like to use it for a 72 Torino Pro-Touring that I'm completing. 

Thanks!

CT 

Thanx Claude! It's Tamiya AS-29 Gray Green with a coat of TS-65 Clear Pearl covered with TS-13. It looks different in different light. Inside lighting it looks gray. Outside lighting it looks green. I have a '60 F-100 painted the same color.

7 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Thanx Claude! It's Tamiya AS-29 Gray Green with a coat of TS-65 Clear Pearl covered with TS-13. It looks different in different light. Inside lighting it looks gray. Outside lighting it looks green. I have a '60 F-100 painted the same color.

Hi Roger!

Thank you for sharing your "secret recipe"... I'll try it on a test panel this week. I'll keep you posted. 

regards,

CT 

18 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Roger!

Thank you for sharing your "secret recipe"... I'll try it on a test panel this week. I'll keep you posted. 

regards,

CT 

You're welcome Claude! The pearl really gives the color a nice effect.

14 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Roger...those are both so clean, so factory feasible, and so cool!  Really, really sharp work!   TIM 

Thanx Tim! I wish I had done a little more to the '36 as far as details. I need to go back and at least detail the engine sometime. 

On 3/5/2021 at 7:51 AM, Dave Darby said:

Ding ding ding, we have a winnah! Love this one. Everything about it. It's modern, yet classic at the same time. The engine detail is icing on the cake. Love the other "El Co's" in this thread too. But this one had me at hello. 

I agree 100% Dave. What an awesome build! Heck they’re all awesome but this one has got to be my favorite.

On 3/16/2021 at 8:40 AM, Classicgas said:

Those are beautiful builds Roger.

Thanx Lee!

3 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Holy Moly. Just when I thought they couldn't get any better.  These are gorgeous, and the colors knock them straight out of the park. The perfect frosting on the cake of excellent bodywork. What colors are those?

Thanx Dave! The '36 is Tamiya Light Sand with a coat of pearl and clear. The '48 is Tamiya Gray Green with a coat of pearl and clear. 

Forgot about this one....it's the AMT 1955 Nomad car-pickup conversion, but done as a roadster pickup rather than the closed cab kit version.  Other mild tweaks include filing down the engraved single exhaust system and adding duals, plated rear axle (I think from the first gen AMT 1957 Bel Air), and mild 19i80's/1990's performance upgrades to the kit 265 V8.  Modern era bigs'n'biggers and repro Halibrand style mags, too.  Paint is Odds'n'Ends Lavender.  Build date around 1993-94.....TIM 

DSC 0729

DSC 0730

DSC 0731

DSC 0732

DSC 0733

DSC 0735

DSC 0736

DSC 0739

DSC 0740

Thx for checking it out...TIM

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Wasn't that in a article in SAE Tim?

Lee...it was an article somewhere, and my recollection is that was probably SAE in the mid 1990's.    It was a combo article with this conversion of the AMT 1959 Elky to a convertible as well....TIM 

DSC 0758

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Tim!

The shade is really in tune with the times.

Hot Rod, Car Craft and others all featured "pastel" cars back then. Tempus fugit!

CT 

Claude....I was a leading proponent of those colors back in the day in my Street Rodder column and SAE articles.  I'd like to think we as modelers influenced a few 1/1 scale guys to go that way in their color choices. 

BTW, great thread you started on Sedan Deliveries elsewhere here on the forum....and I am repeatedly surprised at the bandwidth of creativity you exhibit with your own modeling projects, not to mention your excellent modeling skills....Cheers....TIM  ..

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Claude....I was a leading proponent of those colors back in the day in my Street Rodder column and SAE articles.  I'd like to think we as modelers influenced a few 1/1 scale guys to go that way in their color choices. 

BTW, great thread you started on Sedan Deliveries elsewhere here on the forum....and I am repeatedly surprised at the bandwidth of creativity you exhibit with your own modeling projects, not to mention your excellent modeling skills....Cheers....TIM  ..

Hi Tim!

I'm certain you, of all people, had some level of influence on the 1/1 car trends... After all, you had a great column in Street Rodder for a while. I know, I was a subscriber back then! 

Thank you for the kind words about my "model behaviour", so to speak. I try to explore different genres, but the "mash-up and scratchbuilt" vein always seem to be the most recurring. I just can't help it...

I was honored to be included as an author in an upcoming publication that will feature your insight on certain varieties of muscle-cars and Pro-Touring vehicles.

It's good company for me, to say the least!

Regards,

CT 

14 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Tim!

I'm certain you, of all people, had some level of influence on the 1/1 car trends... After all, you had a great column in Street Rodder for a while. I know, I was a subscriber back then! 

Thank you for the kind words about my "model behaviour", so to speak. I try to explore different genres, but the "mash-up and scratchbuilt" vein always seem to be the most recurring. I just can't help it...

I was honored to be included as an author in an upcoming publication that will feature your insight on certain varieties of muscle-cars and Pro-Touring vehicles.

It's good company for me, to say the least!

Regards,

CT 

Heh Claude....congrats on your contribution to that new special pub coming in April!!!  If what I've seen of it in advance is representative of the rest of it (and I'm sure your part is every bit of that) it is going to turn out to be a killer resource for model builders in those genres....TIM .

Edited by tim boyd

Just now, tim boyd said:

Heh CT....congrats on your contribution to part in that new special pub coming in April.  If what I've seen of it in advance is representative of the rest of it (and I'm sure your part is every bit of that) it is going to be a killer piece of work for model builders in those genres....TIM .

Hi Tim!

Thank you. Mine is the 61 Impala. I look forward to see all the rest...I'm certain we won't be disappointed!

CT