Model Cars Magazine Forum

Post Your "Should Have Been" el camino & Ranchero style trucks

On 3/19/2021 at 8:51 AM, tim boyd said:

Lee...it was an article somewhere, and my recollection is that was probably SAE in the mid 1990's.    It was a combo article with this conversion of the AMT 1959 Elky to a convertible as well....TIM 

DSC 0758

That is one gorgeous 59 ...

• 2 weeks later...

This is a tribute replica built many years ago of a car that cruised the streets of Victoria BC Canada in the 1960's. It was known as the Mad Camino and as the story goes a tree fell on the Nomad crushing the back part of the Nomad roof was was converted into a pickup. I have heard the car still exists but needs a serious restoration.

2vtGAGQMximYT.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Phildaupho said:

This is a tribute replica built many years ago of a car that cruised the streets of Victoria BC Canada in the 1960's. It was known as the Mad Camino and as the story goes a tree fell on the Nomad crushing the back part of the Nomad roof was was converted into a pickup. I have heard the car still exists but needs a serious restoration.

2vtGAGQMximYT.jpg

Sounds like a bit of sleuthing I would love to do. It can be fun to track down a car. Even better if it ends up in my garage.  😄

When looking for a photo of the 55 Mad Camino I just posted I came across photos of another build that sort of fits this theme in a reverse sort of way. It is a '59 El Camino turned into a 2-seater hardtop Coupe with a very large trunk. It has Impala trim and interior. The rear wheel wells were radiused to the same shape as those in front and is powered by a Rochester fuel injected 409. The concept was that it would be a sporty vehicle to transport expensive sporting equipment like scuba gear and golf clubs.

2vZto8cPximYT.jpg2vZto8vDximYT.jpg

Edited by Phildaupho
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

When looking for a photo of the 55 Mad Camino I just posted I came across photos of another build that sort of fits this theme in a reverse sort of way. It is a '59 El Camino turned into a 2-seater hardtop Coupe with a very large trunk. It has Impala trim and interior. The rear wheel wells were radiused to the same shape as those in front and is powered by a Rochester fuel injected 409. The concept was that it would be a sporty vehicle to transport expensive sporting equipment like scuba gear and gold clubs.

2vZto8cPximYT.jpg2vZto8vDximYT.jpg

Oh...my...word!  I just fell in love.

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Robert!

Great ideas here, bravo! The Mustang appears to have a chopped top, is-it so?

And if I may, what is the provenance of the wheels on that same Mustang? They are great!

CT 

25 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Robert!

Great ideas here, bravo! The Mustang appears to have a chopped top, is-it so?

And if I may, what is the provenance of the wheels on that same Mustang? They are great!

CT 

Thanks...

Yes sir, the windshield is chopped at the top and the targa roof and bar are parts from the original roof... The targa bar is tuned backwards for the additional “rake” 

the wheels are from Aoshima ... 

Hi Robert!

Thank you for the infos.

Your roof targa section looks a lot like the Ford concept Mustang when JMays (VP Design) introduced it in Detroit, and as it was featured in bright red in Automobile Magazine back then. Your roof design and tonneau cover are great ideas, with great execution! 

I was in San Juan PR twice for vacations, and I loved it. Great place to live!

Regards,

CT 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I put some better wheels & tires on this and added the door handles & mirror. Looks alot better now I think. I was going to repaint it but something told me to leave it alone. Amazing work on everyone's custom trucks here, thanks so much for posting them!

SUNP0003.JPG

SUNP0004.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 7:27 AM, avidinha said:

This was an actual production truck, but only just over 200 were made.

1uRDg1U.jpg

IGzhAdH.jpg

pH1HQau.jpg

Cool, I've always had a thing for the Cadillac "Flower Car" hearses, kind of the ultimate "El Camino".  You can still find them for sale out there.

Vintagee hearse 2.jpg

Vintagee hearse 3.jpg

Edited by Big John
Adding Photos
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, #1 model citizen said:

Not quite sure this belongs in this thread as a minivan is considered a truck but it is a “should have been” pickup. WIP 

It sure does belong here! Great concept, I can't wait to see more.

18 hours ago, #1 model citizen said:

5A6A1721-26A3-49B4-A383-620D36EDD8A7.thumb.jpeg.940198fc1d7c144d0633f4008ae7655d.jpegC51C25A5-70A3-4D54-BEA9-3D152CE13041.thumb.jpeg.579ddf7bd810967978ea917b0e6deb02.jpegNot quite sure this belongs in this thread as a minivan is considered a truck but it is a “should have been” pickup. WIP 

I've been considering doing this conversion, too. I have two of the minivan kits. One to make a pickup, and one to make a convertible.