Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Post Your "Should Have Been" el camino & Ranchero style trucks


Recommended Posts

On 3/19/2021 at 8:51 AM, tim boyd said:

Lee...it was an article somewhere, and my recollection is that was probably SAE in the mid 1990's.    It was a combo article with this conversion of the AMT 1959 Elky to a convertible as well....TIM 

DSC 0758

That is one gorgeous 59 ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a tribute replica built many years ago of a car that cruised the streets of Victoria BC Canada in the 1960's. It was known as the Mad Camino and as the story goes a tree fell on the Nomad crushing the back part of the Nomad roof was was converted into a pickup. I have heard the car still exists but needs a serious restoration.

2vtGAGQMximYT.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Phildaupho said:

This is a tribute replica built many years ago of a car that cruised the streets of Victoria BC Canada in the 1960's. It was known as the Mad Camino and as the story goes a tree fell on the Nomad crushing the back part of the Nomad roof was was converted into a pickup. I have heard the car still exists but needs a serious restoration.

2vtGAGQMximYT.jpg

Sounds like a bit of sleuthing I would love to do. It can be fun to track down a car. Even better if it ends up in my garage.  😄

Link to post
Share on other sites

When looking for a photo of the 55 Mad Camino I just posted I came across photos of another build that sort of fits this theme in a reverse sort of way. It is a '59 El Camino turned into a 2-seater hardtop Coupe with a very large trunk. It has Impala trim and interior. The rear wheel wells were radiused to the same shape as those in front and is powered by a Rochester fuel injected 409. The concept was that it would be a sporty vehicle to transport expensive sporting equipment like scuba gear and golf clubs.

2vZto8cPximYT.jpg2vZto8vDximYT.jpg

Edited by Phildaupho
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

When looking for a photo of the 55 Mad Camino I just posted I came across photos of another build that sort of fits this theme in a reverse sort of way. It is a '59 El Camino turned into a 2-seater hardtop Coupe with a very large trunk. It has Impala trim and interior. The rear wheel wells were radiused to the same shape as those in front and is powered by a Rochester fuel injected 409. The concept was that it would be a sporty vehicle to transport expensive sporting equipment like scuba gear and gold clubs.

2vZto8cPximYT.jpg2vZto8vDximYT.jpg

Oh...my...word!  I just fell in love.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Closest I have to the concept is my PT Ute.

image.png.0007e6fbb82cd09437633db2672a3d9e.png

 

image.thumb.png.0000c06091eac6b52b285e6b72d12587.png

 

🌵😎

 

 

 

 

 

image.png

Edited by Danno
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mad Slammer said:

Some of mine...

B56B5F63-CC25-449A-AAE7-DCD67DAA32E2.jpeg

C94FCCEB-7C53-4CE0-906C-FDD174B5855B.jpeg

681BE933-B430-45E1-AC0F-4AF22A94AE3E.jpeg

9DA39604-8D8D-4FC9-BCE0-379BFD632195.jpeg

092DFFA8-5744-4ED7-AEC5-BF452E215247.jpeg

DC859F97-4A0C-4884-95AE-7CDB324372A1.jpeg

Hi Robert!

Great ideas here, bravo! The Mustang appears to have a chopped top, is-it so?

And if I may, what is the provenance of the wheels on that same Mustang? They are great!

CT 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Robert!

Great ideas here, bravo! The Mustang appears to have a chopped top, is-it so?

And if I may, what is the provenance of the wheels on that same Mustang? They are great!

CT 

 

25 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Robert!

Great ideas here, bravo! The Mustang appears to have a chopped top, is-it so?

And if I may, what is the provenance of the wheels on that same Mustang? They are great!

CT 

Thanks...

Yes sir, the windshield is chopped at the top and the targa roof and bar are parts from the original roof... The targa bar is tuned backwards for the additional “rake” 

the wheels are from Aoshima ... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Robert!

Thank you for the infos.

Your roof targa section looks a lot like the Ford concept Mustang when JMays (VP Design) introduced it in Detroit, and as it was featured in bright red in Automobile Magazine back then. Your roof design and tonneau cover are great ideas, with great execution! 

I was in San Juan PR twice for vacations, and I loved it. Great place to live!

Regards,

CT 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...