Model Cars Magazine Forum

Diablo..the saga begins

BIGTRUCK

Trying something out of my realm...Esci/Ertl Lamborghini Diablo. 1st off the body clean up and get the front and rear pan & tailight panel installed and gaps puttied then reseamed. The color choice [cobra colors Giallo Evros] suggested by Izzy works well with my interior choice lambo_interior_cockpit2.JPG

not crazy about the stock wheels but the 295/50 15 & 275/50 15 Pirelli P7s have nice detail , this is as far as I got , have a lot of engine chrome to remove before going any further .

IMGP0402-vi.jpg

IMGP0405-vi.jpg

Any ideas are welcome as this is unchartered waters for me [Exotics]

lambo_front_do.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Shot some color , shot the clear , let it sit for awhile befor we polish it out. Must be something to this exotic car building , I'm starting to like 'em

IMGP0776-vi.jpg

and the little logos Ismael sent me...they look sharp..its the little bull in the center of the wheel....man its small

IMGP0771-vi.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nothing ever comes out right when I use Acrylic enamel clear, so into the pot for cleaning but its back in Cobalt blue , this time cleared with Dupl-color and no problems , I know Im doing something way wrong with the Acrylic clear...I shot it 3 times on 3 builds using 3 different brands...results 3 redo paint jobs... giving it plenty of time before clearcoat...sometimes 12 days :?: :!: I dont know...but now I can move on with this one.

IMGP0018-vi.jpg

IMGP0024-vi.jpg

I like it a lot better in that blue also Ken! 8)

A comment about the clear:.......Which brand are you using?

I've used the Tamiya X-22 clear (acrylic) with no trouble at all. One nice thing about the clear is that if you screw it up........you can just take some Windex and wash it off and start over.

The downside is it's loooooong drying time which can be cured by putting it in a dehydrator.

Thanks guys, the last caper was Duplicolor Acrylic enamel clear over testors enamel,,very long drying time before the clear was shot...I want to guess it was 2 weeks before the clear went on....it wrinkled the paint , this time I used all Duplicolor Lacquer...primer , paint and clear.worked great..I always use the same primer, Dupli-color 1692 sandable grey or sometimes the roddy brown high fill , but thats very seldom , also use Tamiya light grey if the detail on the subject is kind of faint , maybe I should use a little more Tamiya primer on fresh bodies.....

• 3 weeks later...

Trying for that ''one more for the year'' finish. Interior is cream and white with tan carpet that cannot be seen once the seats are in ,and door and back panel speaker grilles cant be seen, all the small highlites inside were picked out with a black pencil , so all I have left are lights and glass and small outside parts.

IMGP0209-vi.jpg

IMGP0221-vi.jpg