Model Cars Magazine Forum

*After Market Engines*

I'm new to all of this so I have a question.  I have purchased the AMT 1950 3100 Chevy Pickup and I want to replace the inline 6 with a V8 engine.  I've been looking around at "3D Model Specialties" at their engine choices.  Can someone help me with what engine would fit and still close the hood?  Thanks.  

Almost any stock type V8 will physically fit under the hood, as there's plenty of clearance. If you are adding a roots type supercharger and scoop/injector on top, then you start getting into hood clearance issues.

Most kit V8s are good swap candidates, too, will be better detailed, have more accurate surfaces/textures, and will probably cost you less than a 3D printed aftermarket stand-alone engine. Just ask for suggestions here once you've decided on which type of engine you want to use (big block Chevy, Ford FE-series, etc.) and we'll help you chose a good one. Alternatively, have a look through the Car and Truck Kit Reviews sections. check out the images and links, and see what looks good to you. 

27 minutes ago, Casey said:

Almost any stock type V8 will physically fit under the hood, as there's plenty of clearance. If you are adding a roots type supercharger and scoop/injector on top, then you start getting into hood clearance issues.

Most kit V8s are good swap candidates, too, will be better detailed, have more accurate surfaces/textures, and will probably cost you less than a 3D printed aftermarket stand-alone engine. Just ask for suggestions here once you've decided on which type of engine you want to use (big block Chevy, Ford FE-series, etc.) and we'll help you chose a good one. Alternatively, have a look through the Car and Truck Kit Reviews sections. check out the images and links, and see what looks good to you. 

Casey,

I was thinking about the BB 427 but I'm guess I'm open to any V8 with headers that has nice detail.

31 minutes ago, Zippi said:

I was thinking about the BB 427 but I'm guess I'm open to any V8 with headers that has nice detail.

As Roger suggested, the AMT '68 El Camino has a nice BBC, as do the AMT '70 Monte Carlo and '67 Impala, but all include exhaust manifolds, not headers.

The Revell '69 Yenko and C.O.P.O. Camaro kits include a 427 BBC with headers, but the headers in those kits are a bit fiddly from what I recall.

I can send you the BBC from the AMT '67 Impala if you are willing to source a set of headers elsewhere. Perhaps another member here can help you out. Here are what the AMT '67 Impala BBC engine parts look like:

488555913_PXL_20210227_1614221132.thumb.jpg.3cf1d7d76be87869276cb7645094266f.jpg

235967702_PXL_20210227_1614287362.jpg.d3fddeef661b3b65afa374d22810996f.jpg

PXL_20210227_161433816.thumb.jpg.f103161c8834efeb2e70c680bed34200.jpg

PXL_20210227_161431796.thumb.jpg.b1e1a763f8147e34f6dad6f63cc9790b.jpg

Edited by Casey

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

As Roger suggested, the AMT '68 El Camino has a nice BBC, as do the AMT '70 Monte Carlo and '67 Impala, but all include exhaust manifolds, not headers.

The Revell '69 Yenko and C.O.P.O. Camaro kits include a 427 BBC with headers, but the headers in those kits are a bit fiddly from what I recall.

I can send you the BBC from the AMT '67 Impala if you are willing to source a set of headers elsewhere. Perhaps another member here can help you out.

I would appricate that.  

1 hour ago, BDSchindler said:

This one is sharp

Have you looked closely at it? How much time are you going to spend sanding every little crevice, and making every flat surface (radiator hose inlet, power steering pump body, etc.) smooth?:

IMCls.jpg.ce077595b924299ecb909dc7555faa5e.jpg

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Have you looked closely at it? How much time are you going to spend sanding every little crevice, and making every flat surface (radiator hose inlet, power steering pump body, etc.) smooth?:

IMCls.jpg.ce077595b924299ecb909dc7555faa5e.jpg

OK then, nevermind.  However, the ones I have used from Iceman Collections were very good.  That said, everything needs some clean-up.

Just trying to help.

Edited by BDSchindler

41 minutes ago, BDSchindler said:

OK then, nevermind.  However, the ones I have used from Iceman Collections were very good.  That said, everything needs some clean-up.

Just trying to help.

It looks like a nice engine to me. Whoever took the photo just didn’t bother to blow the dust off it after cleanup.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can stand eBay, put in a search 'resin engine 1/24' and most of the time it will be Iceman Collectibles offerings.  The Hellcat engine looks good, really don't need any cleanup.
IMG_0550.thumb.jpg.4abf4e290ac250be2c8227a8b426374d.jpg

You have more than the hood to worry about.  The frame rails might not be wide enough, but I never did this transplant, just basing on the real thing.  The steering box clearance is an issue.