Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Zippi

*After Market Engines*

Recommended Posts

I'm new to all of this so I have a question.  I have purchased the AMT 1950 3100 Chevy Pickup and I want to replace the inline 6 with a V8 engine.  I've been looking around at "3D Model Specialties" at their engine choices.  Can someone help me with what engine would fit and still close the hood?  Thanks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost any stock type V8 will physically fit under the hood, as there's plenty of clearance. If you are adding a roots type supercharger and scoop/injector on top, then you start getting into hood clearance issues.

Most kit V8s are good swap candidates, too, will be better detailed, have more accurate surfaces/textures, and will probably cost you less than a 3D printed aftermarket stand-alone engine. Just ask for suggestions here once you've decided on which type of engine you want to use (big block Chevy, Ford FE-series, etc.) and we'll help you chose a good one. Alternatively, have a look through the Car and Truck Kit Reviews sections. check out the images and links, and see what looks good to you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put a Revell 409 from a 59 impala in a amt 50 chevy pickup kit with no issues...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ranma said:

I put a Revell 409 from a 59 impala in a amt 50 chevy pickup kit with no issues...

I was thinking about a BB 427 but the 409 sounds nice.  Have any pics you could share?  .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Casey said:

Almost any stock type V8 will physically fit under the hood, as there's plenty of clearance. If you are adding a roots type supercharger and scoop/injector on top, then you start getting into hood clearance issues.

Most kit V8s are good swap candidates, too, will be better detailed, have more accurate surfaces/textures, and will probably cost you less than a 3D printed aftermarket stand-alone engine. Just ask for suggestions here once you've decided on which type of engine you want to use (big block Chevy, Ford FE-series, etc.) and we'll help you chose a good one. Alternatively, have a look through the Car and Truck Kit Reviews sections. check out the images and links, and see what looks good to you. 

Casey,

 I was thinking about the BB 427 but I'm guess I'm open to any V8 with headers that has nice detail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The AMT '68 El Camino Street Machine version has a nice BBC with a supercharger, fuel injection and backed by an automatic. I used it in a '68 Chevelle.

48260352336_4263ae1b90_c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Zippi said:

I was thinking about the BB 427 but I'm guess I'm open to any V8 with headers that has nice detail.

As Roger suggested, the AMT '68 El Camino has a nice BBC, as do the AMT '70 Monte Carlo and '67 Impala, but all include exhaust manifolds, not headers.

The Revell '69 Yenko and C.O.P.O. Camaro kits include a 427 BBC with headers, but the headers in those kits are a bit fiddly from what I recall.

I can send you the BBC from the AMT '67 Impala if you are willing to source a set of headers elsewhere. Perhaps another member here can help you out. Here are what the AMT '67 Impala BBC engine parts look like:

488555913_PXL_20210227_1614221132.thumb.jpg.3cf1d7d76be87869276cb7645094266f.jpg

235967702_PXL_20210227_1614287362.jpg.d3fddeef661b3b65afa374d22810996f.jpg

PXL_20210227_161433816.thumb.jpg.f103161c8834efeb2e70c680bed34200.jpg

PXL_20210227_161431796.thumb.jpg.b1e1a763f8147e34f6dad6f63cc9790b.jpg

Edited by Casey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Casey said:

As Roger suggested, the AMT '68 El Camino has a nice BBC, as do the AMT '70 Monte Carlo and '67 Impala, but all include exhaust manifolds, not headers.

The Revell '69 Yenko and C.O.P.O. Camaro kits include a 427 BBC with headers, but the headers in those kits are a bit fiddly from what I recall.

I can send you the BBC from the AMT '67 Impala if you are willing to source a set of headers elsewhere. Perhaps another member here can help you out.

I would appricate that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Zippi said:

I would appreciate that.  

I just sent you a PM, Bob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Casey said:

I just sent you a PM, Bob.

PM sent.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used engines from ICEMAN Collections (Ebay and Shapeways) with great success!

This one is sharp and should fit nicely...

Chevy LS Cross Ram

Edited by BDSchindler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BDSchindler said:

This one is sharp

Have you looked closely at it? How much time are you going to spend sanding every little crevice, and making every flat surface (radiator hose inlet, power steering pump body, etc.) smooth?:

IMCls.jpg.ce077595b924299ecb909dc7555faa5e.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Casey said:

Have you looked closely at it? How much time are you going to spend sanding every little crevice, and making every flat surface (radiator hose inlet, power steering pump body, etc.) smooth?:

IMCls.jpg.ce077595b924299ecb909dc7555faa5e.jpg

OK then, nevermind.  However, the ones I have used from Iceman Collections were very good.  That said, everything needs some clean-up.

Just trying to help.

Edited by BDSchindler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, BDSchindler said:

OK then, nevermind.  However, the ones I have used from Iceman Collections were very good.  That said, everything needs some clean-up.

Just trying to help.

It looks like a nice engine to me. Whoever took the photo just didn’t bother to blow the dust off it after cleanup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

It looks like a nice engine to me. Whoever took the photo just didn’t bother to blow the dust off it after cleanup.

Exactly, but the intake manifold could have been made to fit better. It does look like a nice engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, my66s55 said:

Exactly, but the intake manifold could have been made to fit better. It does look like a nice engine.

It looks like it was just placed there for the photo and not properly settled in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2021 at 10:55 AM, Plowboy said:

The AMT '68 El Camino Street Machine version has a nice BBC with a supercharger, fuel injection and backed by an automatic. I used it in a '68 Chevelle.

48260352336_4263ae1b90_c.jpg

Not to hijack this thread, but that Chevelle is gorgeous!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2021 at 11:10 PM, NOBLNG said:

It looks like a nice engine to me. Whoever took the photo just didn’t bother to blow the dust off it after cleanup.

Ice man does a very good job...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2021 at 9:56 PM, Karl Sheffer said:

Not to hijack this thread, but that Chevelle is gorgeous!

Thanx Karl! It's posted here if you want to check the rest of it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Plowboy, found the pics on Flickr.  Terrific job on that Chevelle!

Edited by Karl Sheffer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can stand eBay, put in a search 'resin engine 1/24' and most of the time it will be Iceman Collectibles offerings.  The Hellcat engine looks good, really don't need any cleanup.
IMG_0550.thumb.jpg.4abf4e290ac250be2c8227a8b426374d.jpg

You have more than the hood to worry about.  The frame rails might not be wide enough, but I never did this transplant, just basing on the real thing.  The steering box clearance is an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info.  I put a BB in my 50 and built the 216 and just sat it in the bed.  

20210317_114054.jpg

20210313_151151.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...