Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kits with slotted wheels

My brother and I are getting parts together to replicate his car from our youth. He had a 73 Mach 1 that had aluminum slots on it like in this picture (not his car but just like it) He had aftermarket wheels like this on it and the only set in my parts box are 4 lug so I'm looking to see what kits I can pick up to get a set.

1973-Ford-Mustang.jpg

5-slots are among my favorite wheels, so I'll see if I can save you some time and money.  MPC offered those wheels in a few kits, but most of the time it was a big/small combo like you'd find in an old Switchers kit.  

I'm guessing your brother's car's came with the factory 5-slots. To replicate those, I'd recommend buying the Pegasus Ansen style slotted wheels. pa1.jpg.3883d111d4ea271c0bb10a0c36580b0a.jpg

Right now it seems Model Roundup is the only place that has them in stock.  

Fireball model works offers resin 5-slots in three different widths.  He's a member in excellent standing on this board.

If you can find one cheaply, Revell's '80 Dodge Ramcharger has a decent set, all in the same size. 

I owned a '73 Mustang Sportsroof (fastback) which I upgraded by installing a modded 351C and C6 trans, among other things. Other than not being able to see anything out of that mail slot rear window, I loved that car.  Best of luck to you and your brother on the homage build.  I'm guessing you're starting with the MPC kit, so you've got some issues to overcome if you want it to be accurate.   Most importantly, don't use any engine that comes out of that box.  The Ford guys on here can help you with any other questions.

Edited by Monty

28 minutes ago, Monty said:

5-slots are among my favorite wheels, so I'll see if I can save you some time and money.  MPC offered those wheels in a few kits, but most of the time it was a big/small combo like you'd find in an old Switchers kit.  

I'm guessing your brother's car's came with the factory 5-slots. To replicate those, I'd recommend buying the Pegasus Ansen style slotted wheels. pa1.jpg.3883d111d4ea271c0bb10a0c36580b0a.jpg

Right now it seems Model Roundup is the only place that has them in stock.  

Fireball model works offers resin 5-slots in three different widths.  He's a member in excellent standing on this board.

If you can find one cheaply, Revell's '80 Dodge Ramcharger has a decent set, all in the same size. 

I owned a '73 Mustang Sportsroof (fastback) which I upgraded by installing a modded 351C and C6 trans, among other things. Other than not being able to see anything out of that mail slot rear window, I loved that car.  Best of luck to you and your brother on the homage build.  I'm guessing you're starting with the MPC kit, so you've got some issues to overcome if you want it to be accurate.   Most importantly, don't use any engine that comes out of that box.  The Ford guys on here can help you with any other questions.

Thanks for the info, his car did not have the factory wheels but aftermarket one that were just like them. He picked up the kit somewhere and it is the AMT kit. It seems to have very little interior detail and we are considering picking up the new 007 71 Mustang for the dash and such.

I never owned one and I'm sure the back windows were tough to see out of however I did have a 2dr Maverick which also had that flat back window and it was a challenge for sure...

On 3/1/2021 at 12:51 PM, SCRWDRVR said:

we are considering picking up the new 007 71 Mustang for the dash and such.

Check out the review topic on that very kit before you do, please.

I agree with Monty that the 5-slot wheels on the Mustang look like Ansen Sprint wheels, but there were other aftermarket companies at the time which offered similar wheels- Rocket, E-T, etc. Whatever you do, do not use the Revell Starsky & Hutch 5-slot wheels, as one set has out of position lug nuts and look funky:

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Casey

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

Check out the review topic on that very kit before you do, please.

I agree with Monty that the 5-slot wheels on the Mustang look like Ansen Sprint wheels, but there were other aftermarket companies at the time which offered similar wheels- Rocket, E-T, etc. Whatever you do, do not use the Revell Starsky & Hutch 5-slot wheels, as one set has out of position lug nuts and look funky.

I will thanks, thanks for the tip on the S&H kit also...

1 hour ago, SCRWDRVR said:

They are nice, but your right a bit deep for this...

At that time the dish slot style wheels were very popular as you already know. I had a set of look a likes on my '67 El Camino that were from Shelby that were polished. As for your kit build Casey mentioned the S & H Ford and these may be the easiest to find but the AMT Studebaker Avanti kit also had a very nice set as well. 

Not the best image, but the front 5-slot wheels from the 1/25 MPC '32 Ford Sedan Delivery are close, and the kit was reissued a few months ago, so it's not difficult to source. The rear wheels are too deep, but two sets of front wheels should work:

s-l1600.jpg

This kit:

MPC90232FordSedanCoke.jpg

Have a look at Chris' video here: 

Edited by Casey

4 hours ago, espo said:

At that time the dish slot style wheels were very popular as you already know. I had a set of look a likes on my '67 El Camino that were from Shelby that were polished. As for your kit build Casey mentioned the S & H Ford and these may be the easiest to find but the AMT Studebaker Avanti kit also had a very nice set as well. 

I’ll add it to the list of possible donors... thanks

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Not the best image, but the front 5-slot wheels from the 1/25 MPC '32 Ford Sedan Delivery are close, and the kit was reissued a few months ago, so it's not difficult to source. The rear wheels are too deep, but two sets of front wheels should work:

s-l1600.jpg

This kit:

MPC90232FordSedanCoke.jpg

Have a look at Chris' video here: 

the fronts are perfect, I don’t have that kit maybe he can buy one and I can buy so we each have the kit and the wheels.. lol 

I’ll have to see what I can pic the kits up for if not maybe a post in the wanted section for a trade...

Thanks guys, I've been keeping my eyes open but ultimately I have to clear anything I buy though him it's his build and money but I'm helping him on locating parts. I have a lot more than him but what I have is minimal. I'm doing some searchs on the ones you all have listed to price shop, you know how cheap us builders are LOL....