Model Cars Magazine Forum

1907 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost, 1/24 Finecast metal kit

Matt Bacon

Definitely outside my comfort zone, but I'm very pleased with how it's turned out. The kit is exquisitely cast and detailed, and remarkably designed and engineered, considering it was all done on paper in the early 70s...

low-left-front.jpg

low-front-left.jpg

low-front-right.jpg

right-profile.jpg

high-rear-right.jpg

high-rear-left-2.jpg

front-left-bonnet-off-2.jpg

left-side-bonnet-off.jpg

front-right-bonnet-off.jpg

high-rear-right-2.jpg

low-left-profile.jpg

very-low-front-left.jpg

crew-aboard-2.jpg

crew-aboard-4.jpg

crew-aboard-3.jpg

Probably time for something a little simpler now!

best,

M.

Thanks, all! The WIP is here in case anyone wants all the gory details:

(no idea why that picture is on the link!)

@bbowser the kit came from eBay, sold by a charity shop as “possibly incomplete” for only £25 including postage. I figured at that price I could make anything that was missing. In the end I was short one hood side, half the rear muffler and one door handle. The nice guys at Finecast sold me all three as “spares” for another £10, so the whole thing cost me £35 instead of £135 with postage! It was really only intended as a cheap(ish) “mule” to practice on before tackling any of the other Finecast kits I have...

@peteski I painted the suit with an overall neutral grey acrylic, then used very dilute transparent AK “black ink” to paint wide vertical stripes followed by horizontal ones when it had dried, leaving a check pattern, darker where the stripes cross. Finally I used a lighter blue-grey in thin lines between the wide stripes, for the last criss-cross effect...

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

7 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

ave...

@peteski I painted the suit with an overall neutral grey acrylic, then used very dilute transparent AK “black ink” to paint wide vertical stripes followed by horizontal ones when it had dried, leaving a check pattern, darker where the stripes cross. Finally I used a lighter blue-grey in thin lines between the wide stripes, for the last criss-cross effect...

You did a great job on hand-painting the stripes on the suit!

I'm really sorry that the forum used the photo of my Cobra model in that link to your build thread.  I just wanted to show that spark plug wires are doable, even in 1:43 scale, when you were on the fence about adding them to your model.  I would gladly go back and delete that photo, but I can't edit that post.  I really don't know why that single photo was chosen, when dozen's of your photos dominate the thread.  Weird!

2 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

I took a short cut and got the Franklin Mint one 🤣

Thanks, guys! @ChrisR I have to say was using pictures of the 1/12 Franklin Mint version as reference during this build... it was famously well researched!  Interestingly, Airfix planned to follow up their 1/12 Bentley with the Silver Ghost. I remember a bunch of drawings and perhaps even a prototype model being sold off a decade and a half ago when Airfix’s archive was auctioned when Hornby took over. That would have been quite the kit if the mid-70s oil shock hadn’t got in the way!

https://www.vectis.co.uk/lot/2953-airfix-archive_149132

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

• 1 month later...