Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '64 Olds Cutlass 442 Hardtop

Casey

I will say I'm a great deal less excited about this one if the side trim is anything like what's on the convertible body. I piddled around trying to foil that thin, faintly defined molding and gave up after about 45 minutes. I think my eyes are still crossed...

18 minutes ago, Chuck Most said:

I will say I'm a great deal less excited about this one if the side trim is anything like what's on the convertible body. I piddled around trying to foil that thin, faintly defined molding and gave up after about 45 minutes. I think my eyes are still crossed...

Good point . That trim is very thin and foil doesn't have much to attach to. I might go with silver paint.

9 minutes ago, Chuck Most said:

The only way to foil that side trim without driving yourself crazy is to cut a long, straight piece of foil (about 1mm thick)  a little longer than you need and apply it like a pinstripe.

It's not as tough as it sounds.  The most challenging part is peeling the strip from the backing without breaking or twisting it. 

I did the 442 test build this way; I would never attempt the old "apply then trim" method on it....my eyes would still be crossed too.

DSCN1928.JPG

1 hour ago, pack rat said:

The only way to foil that side trim without driving yourself crazy is to cut a long, straight piece of foil (about 1mm thick)  a little longer than you need and apply it like a pinstripe.

It's not as tough as it sounds.  The most challenging part is peeling the strip from the backing without breaking or twisting it. 

I did the 442 test build this way; I would never attempt the old "apply then trim" method on it....my eyes would still be crossed too.

That was my plan B, but after thinking I'd developed a system three or four times over I put the Cutlass back in the box for now until the migraine subsides. I'll give that method a shot when the ambition returns. Your model looks amazing, by the way. :)

23 minutes ago, Chuck Most said:

That was my plan B, but after thinking I'd developed a system three or four times over I put the Cutlass back in the box for now until the migraine subsides. I'll give that method a shot when the ambition returns. Your model looks amazing, by the way. :)

Good plan.  There's nothing worse than beating your head against the wall to the point that you never want to look at a kit again.   I usually pick up a simple no-brainer project to play with until I feel like jumping back in.

Thank You for the compliment re the 442.

1 hour ago, pack rat said:

DSCN1928.JPG

How Mike did it is exactly how I did it as well  It is actually pretty doable for those of us who have some experience with BareMetal, which is exactly what it sounds like you Chuck already have a good deal of.  

By the way, the molding depth/layout looked exactly the same to my eyes on the original AMT annual kit body and the new Round 2 body.  Here's how mine turned out....TIM 

DSC 0262

14 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

How Mike did it is exactly how I did it as well  It is actually pretty doable for those of us who have some experience with BareMetal, which is exactly what it sounds like you Chuck already have a good deal of.  

By the way, the molding depth/layout looked exactly the same to my eyes on the original AMT annual kit body and the new Round 2 body.  Here's how mine turned out....TIM 

And you, Mr. Boyd- it is partially your fault I bought the kit in the first place, because of the article you did for Scale Auto years ago featuring an Oldsmobile roadster hot rod with the Judson superchargers from this very same kit. :D I figured having the Judsons would be nice, and having the remainder of a '64 Cutlass would be a benefit. My Cutlass won't be as showroom fresh as yours though. 

But back to the trim, I will say the other stuff is easily dealt with. The scripts took well to the old "foil bare plastic, prime, and paint, then chip/scrape/sand the layers away to reveal the chrome" trick. 

8 minutes ago, Chuck Most said:

And you, Mr. Boyd- it is partially your fault I bought the kit in the first place, because of the article you did for Scale Auto years ago featuring an Oldsmobile roadster hot rod with the Judson superchargers from this very same kit. :D I figured having the Judsons would be nice, and having the remainder of a '64 Cutlass would be a benefit. My Cutlass won't be as showroom fresh as yours though. 

But back to the trim, I will say the other stuff is easily dealt with. The scripts took well to the old "foil bare plastic, prime, and paint, then chip/scrape/sand the layers away to reveal the chrome" trick. 

Chuck....Guilty as charged....smile.   Best ...TIM

DSC 0454

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

How does that particular engine option look when it's sourced from the new* Cutlass kit(s)? 

Just as it appears in Tim's roadster, only with modern bright kit chrome. The sprue attachments are also easily dealt with, which is always startling for a 1960's kit. 

This long straight piece of trim would probably benefit from the masking tape technique. Take a piece of masking tape and run it along where the trim is (not covering the trim , but opposite it in the "negative space". Then apply your foil over the trim and tape. Use the edge of the tape as the guide for your knife instead of trying to follow the trim itself. Peel the tape away and it should leave your foiled trim in place.

33 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

This long straight piece of trim would probably benefit from the masking tape technique. Take a piece of masking tape and run it along where the trim is (not covering the trim , but opposite it in the "negative space". Then apply your foil over the trim and tape. Use the edge of the tape as the guide for your knife instead of trying to follow the trim itself. Peel the tape away and it should leave your foiled trim in place.

This what I'm thinking, too. B)

14 hours ago, pack rat said:

DSCN1928.JPG

Is the trim at least proud enough of the body sides that a few passes with a good scriber would sharpen it up to make it easier to foil or to mask and spray with the chrome of your choice? (lately Vallejo Metal Color for me)

1 hour ago, Justin Porter said:

Is the trim at least proud enough of the body sides that a few passes with a good scriber would sharpen it up to make it easier to foil or to mask and spray with the chrome of your choice? (lately Vallejo Metal Color for me)

I'm not sure how well-defined the trim will be on production kits; the yellow car above was built from a test shot, and I know there were a couple of tweaks and corrections performed after that one was produced.

NOTE-to those who notice the missing 442 emblem on the trunklid; that has been corrected.

15 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Chuck....Guilty as charged....smile.   Best ...TIM

Tim; your Scale Auto article on the Judson blowers might have influenced more than just a few vintage kit purchases.

About five years ago I found a complete '64 convertible for sale and snapped it up partially based on your article (and those cool custom wheels).   Just for kicks I sent detailed pics of the kit contents to John at Round2 along with pics of a hardtop I had converted to a 442 a few years earlier.  

He thought the pics were pretty cool at the time.  This may or may not  have had any influence on their decision to restore the kit.....but you never know. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 12:07 PM, Casey said:

Is this definitely happening within a month or so?

Edited by crowe-t

I applaud Round2 for bringing back these old kits. My fear is inflation will make buying them more difficult. The approaching $40 per kit might become a deal breaker. At $20 a few years ago, I would buy all the new ones, even multiples of the ones that I really liked. That's life.

1 hour ago, Bob Ellis said:

I applaud Round2 for bringing back these old kits. My fear is inflation will make buying them more difficult. The approaching $40 per kit might become a deal breaker. At $20 a few years ago, I would buy all the new ones, even multiples of the ones that I really liked. That's life.

I don't blame you one bit for that and believe me, it's equally fear inducing for me as a retailer when Round 2 is suggesting $38.95 as a retail price for their reissues. That sort of pricing, placing them at the very top of the domestic car kit market, makes me very wary of ordering Round 2 kits knowing that I may be sitting on them for an awfully long time. 

• 2 weeks later...