Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '64 Olds Cutlass 442 Hardtop


Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, alexis said:

Other than the Body and the decals, will there be any difference in these kits?

No idea..it is interesting they are billing the ht as a 442, because IIRC the original was not billed as such (I have one in storage, not convenient to check).  But I don't think there was much visual differentiation between a Cutlass and Cutlass 442 in '64 other than small badges.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/22/2021 at 10:04 AM, Rob Hall said:

No idea..it is interesting they are billing the ht as a 442, because IIRC the original was not billed as such (I have one in storage, not convenient to check).  But I don't think there was much visual differentiation between a Cutlass and Cutlass 442 in '64 other than small badges.

There were a number of other changes....4-speed manual replaced the "Jetaway" two-speed auto; air cleaner had dual snorkels, etc.  TB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

There were a number of other changes....4-speed manual replaced the "Jetaway" two-speed auto; air cleaner had dual snorkels, etc.  TB

I was only referring to exterior visual differences.  I wonder if Round 2 will actually change anything beyond maybe adding badging. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I was only referring to exterior visual differences.  I wonder if Round 2 will actually change anything beyond maybe adding badging. 

Here's the engine/transmission before installation in the above kit with the correct 4-speed and air cleaner.  I'm not sure if there is a decal for the air cleaner on production kits.

There is also a 4-speed shift lever for the interior, and a little clutch pedal to be installed beside the molded-in brake pedal.   

 

DSCN1916.JPG

Edited by pack rat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, tim boyd said:

There were a number of other changes....4-speed manual replaced the "Jetaway" two-speed auto; air cleaner had dual snorkels, etc.  TB

Very nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That looks great! I was going to get the convertible and put a '65 GTO hardtop on it, but now I will wait and get 2 or 3 of the 442 hardtops. I prefer the hardtop and the fact that it is a 442, even though there is not a lot of difference for the '64 model. An AMT '66, '67 (Lindberg) or '69 442 would be a good candidate for a chassis and engine upgrade. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, larman said:

An AMT '66, '67 (Lindberg) or '69 442 would be a good candidate for a chassis and engine upgrade. 

The '69 chassis will be too short. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 3/22/2021 at 6:44 AM, alexis said:

Other than the Body and the decals, will there be any difference in these kits?

Who cares Alan, I've got plenty of ideas for this subject matter!

I want both. And I already have an original hardtop. I'm getting more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just got two of the drop tops today and I was hoping for a resin hardtop. So now I'll just wait for this release and hope for a resin Vista Cruiser wagon conversion. :P 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/2/2021 at 12:54 AM, Chuck Most said:

Just got two of the drop tops today and I was hoping for a resin hardtop. So now I'll just wait for this release and hope for a resin Vista Cruiser wagon conversion. :P 

correct Visgta Cruiser, I hope. Otherwise, an F-85 Deluxe wagon would be cool.

Charlie Larkin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

Is this the original kit, or have they already done a test shot?

That was a built production shot of the upcoming kit, the original was not a 442.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2021 at 12:58 AM, niteowl7710 said:

That was a built production shot of the upcoming kit, the original was not a 442.

I know original was not a 442. But ERTL was known for taking pictures of original kits to promote reissues

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/6/2021 at 10:23 PM, Bob Ellis said:

Is this the original kit, or have they already done a test shot?

This is a pre-production sample built by Mike Wherry.  There's everything in it to build it as a 442 except the sway bar, along with all the original parts.  The 442 related parts are newly tooled added pieces.   For those who want to build it like the original F85 Cutlass kit just shave the 442 badges and use the original drivetrain parts still included.  You could call it a 4n1 as I'm told the extra parts will be mentioned in the instructions somewhere.  Box Art is loosely based on the the original '64 F85 Cutlass annual issue.  I hope this clears up any confusion. 

-Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, SteveG said:

This is a pre-production sample built by Mike Wherry.  There's everything in it to build it as a 442 except the sway bar, along with all the original parts.  The 442 related parts are newly tooled added pieces.   For those who want to build it like the original F85 Cutlass kit just shave the 442 badges and use the original drivetrain parts still included.  You could call it a 4n1 as I'm told the extra parts will be mentioned in the instructions somewhere.  Box Art is loosely based on the the original '64 F85 Cutlass annual issue.  I hope this clears up any confusion. 

-Steve

Can't wait to see this kit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone given consideration to building either the convertible or the hardtop with an Econ-O-Way 225 V6 ? 

I'm considering doing that with the drop-top ( the hardtop will retain its 330 Rocket / 4-speed ) , but am wondering if there's a resin 225 V6 available ? 

Would it be 'close-enough' to chop the Buick Electra 225's Nailhead of two of its cylinders ? Maybe the old MPC Jeepster ( Mount N' Goat  , recently , IIRC... ) has a convincing oddfire 225 ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Has anyone given consideration to building either the convertible or the hardtop with an Econ-O-Way 225 V6 ? 

I'm considering doing that with the drop-top ( the hardtop will retain its 330 Rocket / 4-speed ) , but am wondering if there's a resin 225 V6 available ? 

Would it be 'close-enough' to chop the Buick Electra 225's Nailhead of two of its cylinders ? Maybe the old MPC Jeepster ( Mount N' Goat  , recently , IIRC... ) has a convincing oddfire 225 ?

The Jeepster engine would be the way to go.  It's not correct for the late (Jeepster) Commando, but with different external accessories (air filter, probably pulleys and fan, possibly exhaust manifolds) it will be good as the Olds V6.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2021 at 8:23 PM, 1972coronet said:

Has anyone given consideration to building either the convertible or the hardtop with an Econ-O-Way 225 V6 ? 

I'm considering doing that with the drop-top ( the hardtop will retain its 330 Rocket / 4-speed ) , but am wondering if there's a resin 225 V6 available ? 

Would it be 'close-enough' to chop the Buick Electra 225's Nailhead of two of its cylinders ? Maybe the old MPC Jeepster ( Mount N' Goat  , recently , IIRC... ) has a convincing oddfire 225 ?

As I understand it, the convertible has the Super Turbine 300 automatic. I would suggest removing the transmission from the engine and swapping it onto the V6 for maximum accuracy.

Charlie Larkin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...