Model Cars Magazine Forum

American Pickers

I use to enjoy American Restoration.  There was some interesting content. However then it was dumbed down and the the stuff of value was removed for horse play and other silliness.  Unfortunately meaningful content is expensive and won't necessary entertain the mindless masses.

Regardless of the subject its the same mindless dreck designed to be "entertainment" for the lowest common denominator. 

I refuse waste my time and money for such drivel.

I'm surprised by how many folks here thought any of this was spontaneous.

Just one hint: American Pickers is shot with a single camera, so how come the "big find" is always being filmed? You'd think 50% of the time the person on the other side of the barn (or in the other barn half the time) would find the treasure. Nope! Always caught on camera, in an area lit well enough to make for a good view.

All of these thing have to be looked at with the idea that it's a show looking for an audience that happens to be about X, which most people know nothing about but might watch if you concoct a good enough story around X and the people in the show to make the layperson care.. It's not a show about X that happened to get on TV to appeal to people already in the X hobby. The target audience for CSI wasn't forensic science workers, and I'm sure they "loved" the liberties taken there, but they'd be no more foolish to expect a documentary as anyone watching American Pickers....

4 hours ago, Ron Warner said:

Just one hint: American Pickers is shot with a single camera, so how come the "big find" is always being filmed? You'd think 50% of the time the person on the other side of the barn (or in the other barn half the time) would find the treasure. Nope! Always caught on camera, in an area lit well enough to make for a good view.

All of these thing have to be looked at with the idea that it's a show looking for an audience that happens to be about X, which most people know nothing about but might watch if you concoct a good enough story around X and the people in the show to make the layperson care.. It's not a show about X that happened to get on TV to appeal to people already in the X hobby. The target audience for CSI wasn't forensic science workers, and I'm sure they "loved" the liberties taken there, but they'd be no more foolish to expect a documentary as anyone watching American Pickers....

We know it's not spontaneous but it does make the show interesting watching Mike or Frank almost fall through some rotted wood finding an old something or other. I do wonder about Oak Island though...I mean...they seem to find some little bit of leather or an iron object, but nothing of real worth...well...maybe the lead cross from a few years ago. Or the wood they keep find 80 feet below ground. Hmmmm, maybe Mike and Frank will find that treasure.

On 3/3/2021 at 3:51 PM, BlackSheep214 said:

Bitchin' Rides is BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. Never liked his work. Now.... Iron Resurrection is great. I'd rather see Martin brothers work their magic on cars than Bitchin' Rides. Let's not forget  that Junkyard restorer show. Guy gets done with his restoration only none of then seem to run right. The other one that really annoys me is that Mopar "expert" - I forget the name of the show. Too much talking not enough actual work. It's like Shut up already! LOLOLOLOL!!!

Ok, this is for the mods...which makes absolutely no sense. Why was my word edited???? I mean, come on... it’s not even an offensive swear word!! It’s an very common word used everyday. Don’t be like FSM... LOLOLOL!

Not trying to be rude, but seriously. No one gets that offended by that word. I can understand certain swear words but this is beyond ridiculous to censor. We’re all not Amish here. Just trying to wrap my head around your crazy decision to censor an innocent common word.

8 hours ago, lordairgtar said:

Oak Island though... Hmmmm, maybe Mike and Frank will find that treasure.

Oh wouldn't that be hilarious! Mike and Frank show up at Oak Island, Mike says, "Hey, what's that over there?" Turns over a rock and THERE IT IS! :lol::lol::lol:

13 hours ago, Ron Warner said:

Robert Klein did a routine about those "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom"  shows..."set up the camera, in five minutes a certain snake comes along, eats a certain insect, right in focus, even smiles, then leaves!"

Someone I knew used to bust on CSI all the time: "no matter what case they are involved in, they always launch a ten million dollar investigation with three or four guys working full time". 

How about River Monsters? Same thing every episode. In the first five minutes he tells you what kind of scary fish he's gonna try to catch, then he spends 50 minutes (with lots of commercials) not finding one anywhere, and then, magically, in the last five minutes (also his last day in the place before The Floods come or his visa runs out), he catches one. And then throws it back. 

I watched an episode of American Pickers last night.. it was on my DVR so I don't know when exactly it was aired.  Robbie and Danielle went to New Jersey and visited a guy named John who had a mess of old Barris cars.  They went to see him because  Robin's go cart was for sale, turns out he wanted $100,000 for it.  Robbie got to drive Jethro's  Hotrod,  and Danielle sat in the Munster Coach.  Things in view that weren't even mentioned were 3 Zingers and the Fireball 500.  I remember seeing the Zingers for sale in a west coast auction years ago, so I thought they were in a museum out there.   And last I knew th Fireball was in a museum in Kansas.   Staged or not, it was worth watching just to see this collection.

I don't know the circumstances, but I think that guy in Kansas (Jerry Jeunemann-sp?) lost all of that stuff.  He was (is?) into Mopars big time, as I recall his collection leaned heavily towards them.  That Fireball seems to have been repainted several times...one repaint dispensed with the fade, the front clip was pearl white, rest of the car was candy red!

Barris had nothing to do with the Zingers (unusual for him, I don't think he ever claimed any credit for those!), that's likely why the show passed them over.

A guy I know was actually contacted by the producers of one of those shows.  Their brief was to locate someone with a huge collection of model cars, whose wife wasn't crazy about it.  That guy does have a lot of them, but the missus didn't have any issues with it.  He referred them to another married guy...again, wife didn't have a problem.  I don't watch any of that stuff, so I'm not aware of any such episode ever getting produced.

I have stopped watching the program for a few reasons, but one that bothers me has to do with the Dish Network program description. Dish will list the program as being new and give the current date. The descriptions will sometimes sound like something I have seen before. I'll start to watch the program and right away you see it is a rerun. Hard to tell if they are even doing any new shows at all and it seems less important to the point i just stopped even looking. 

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I watched an episode of American Pickers last night.. it was on my DVR so I don't know when exactly it was aired.  Robbie and Danielle went to New Jersey and visited a guy named John who had a mess of old Barris cars.  They went to see him because  Robin's go cart was for sale, turns out he wanted $100,000 for it.  Robbie got to drive Jethro's  Hotrod,  and Danielle sat in the Munster Coach.  Things in view that weren't even mentioned were 3 Zingers and the Fireball 500.  I remember seeing the Zingers for sale in a west coast auction years ago, so I thought they were in a museum out there.   And last I knew th Fireball was in a museum in Kansas.   Staged or not, it was worth watching just to see this collection.

That's the episode I was alluding to at the top of the thread.

On 3/5/2021 at 7:45 AM, Snake45 said:

Oh wouldn't that be hilarious! Mike and Frank show up at Oak Island, Mike says, "Hey, what's that over there?" Turns over a rock and THERE IT IS! :lol::lol::lol:

...and then the narrator says..."Could it be?? Are Mike And Frank descendants of The Knights Templar??

1 hour ago, lordairgtar said:

...and then the narrator says..."Could it be?? Are Mike And Frank descendants of The Knights Templar??

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Actually, when Mike turned over the rock, the COMING UP graphic would display, and then there would be 30 seconds of previews from the rest of the show. And then four minutes of commercials. And then the last minute of the show before the commercials would be recapped, and THEN the narrator would ask your question. :lol::lol::lol:

1 hour ago, SpeedShift said:

Anyone remember Boyd Coddington's show?

I have to believe that was scripted for dramatic effect .....as I can only hope the main characters were not the A'holes they appeared to be.

I did meet Boyd Coddington just before he passed away  ,he was pretty grumpy his wife was very nice and easy to talk too .

9 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

I did meet Boyd Coddington just before he passed away  ,he was pretty grumpy his wife was very nice and easy to talk too .

Probably was grumpy ......if the demeanor as portrayed in the show was accurate.

Didn't the "new" wife  (not the old wife bookkeeper) demand that cute girl mechanic Liz Miles get fired?

...this was classic:

(21) Boyd Coddington Bluebear at Boyd Coddington gets fired - YouTube

...and Duane was the worst:

(21) Boyd Coddington mike curtis gets fired at Boyd Coddington - YouTube

Edited by SpeedShift

On 3/10/2021 at 6:56 AM, Mr mopar said:

I met Boyd in 1996 at Troy Trepaniers shop when I was at his dad's truck inspection lane.

He came walking in with Jack (Troy's dad) and I said hello at which Jack introduced me to Boyd.

We made some small talk and I asked Boyd what he could do with my rig and he actually ran with it and gave an outlandish description of the custom work he might do.

Troy was in by then and was getting agitated with the whole thing and told Boyd to "come on!" Boyd told him to go change his diaper and he'll be in the shop in a few!

On 3/3/2021 at 5:14 PM, lordairgtar said:

I'll admit I like the Picker shows. I just wish they would pick up one of the model car kits I sometimes see and say something about it. They usually pass it over and say nothing. Saw a JoHan Superbird kit in some old lady's attic and nothing was said but they sure looked over the falling apart lamp fixtures like they were golden. Saw the episode the OP was talking about...amazing stuff in that guy's collection.

There was one episode a few years back where Frank did buy a small collection of models, probably around 20 or 30, most were annual kits from the early/mid 60"s.  I think he paid around $25 a piece for the kits.  Made me want to cry, because I know if they were to actually resell them the price would be north of $100 each.

24 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

There was one episode a few years back where Frank did buy a small collection of models, probably around 20 or 30, most were annual kits from the early/mid 60"s.  I think he paid around $25 a piece for the kits.  Made me want to cry, because I know if they were to actually resell them the price would be north of $100 each.

I seen that episode they were all built ups and the guy selling then has a bunch of WWII stuff too .

Sometimes the producers of these shows must think we are stupid.
Sorry to diverse away from auto and antique stuff but this is the worst I have seen
"Finding Escobar's Millions"

So top dog drug dealer Pablo Escobar left behind millions maybe billions of dollars hidden away and still unaccounted for, who do they ask maybe a possible hiding place? His body guard! Pablo's girlfriends brother or dad or cleaner or or his pet donkey even.
Illegal drugs being a really serious criminal practice where you can be buried dead or alive just for smiling at the wrong person, would those people interviewed really help locate $$$$$$$ of criminal fortunes? At the end of the first season I don't think they found anything as the reality 'cast' including the donkey would have not told anyone where it was if there was any, would you?

Another show about two cowboys looking for old wild west stuff(I can't remember the name of the show) Almost identical to Pickers. So the pickers go to the Truckee lake, I can almost hear Frank and Mike coming across a relic from the Donner Party 'How much, what do you think Mike $2000 bucks?' 'Nah, there's not enough meat on the bone'