Model Cars Magazine Forum

A few on the bench. Buick, Olds, Lumina

Ben269

I found this pile at a yard sale several years ago.  It was two of the Mountain Dew/Pepsi Darryl Waltrip set.  Looks like enough parts to make just one complete car, if I use a Monte Carlo body, but I am building the Buick, so I need to find a hood for the Regal.   I found some scanned instructions on the internet, and started on the chassis.  The last pic what I have so far.  

IMG_0277.jpeg

IMG_0276.jpeg

IMG_0304.jpeg

I started making a window net using medical tape.   Decided to change the shape of it half way through, after looking at some photos online.   I think it looks good, might spray some dull coat on it yet, but overall I'm happy with the result.

IMG_0278.jpeg

IMG_0279.jpeg

IMG_0280.jpeg

IMG_0300.jpeg

Does anyone know what this piece is?   It goes in the passenger side on the roll cage.    I can't see in any pics of the Bobby Allison 1983 Buick to see if it should go in that car, or what color to paint it.  

IMG_0305.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Ben269 said:

Does anyone know what this piece is?   It goes in the passenger side on the roll cage.    I can't see in any pics of the Bobby Allison 1983 Buick to see if it should go in that car, or what color to paint it.  

IMG_0305.jpeg

Fire Extinguisher??

That is an in-car camera from a million years ago. They were in all the early Monogram GM kits. There is also a dome shaped antenna that goes with it, usually placed on the roof or trunk lid. I used 'em on the Buddy Baker UNO Buick and the Richard Petty STP Pontiac. The 1:1 antennas were ALWAYS flat white as they were NOT to be painted !!! 

These were heavy and bulky, so NASCAR gave the users a weight break. Suddenly Darrel Waltrip, Cale Yarborough, Rusty Wallace, Ricky Rudd all wanted to carry the cameras !!!

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see the antenna, but still will probably put the camera in.   Making some more progress, the Lumina chassis is done, and the body is getting painted soon.  I wasn't real happy with how the tires turned out.   You can see the outline of the decals too much.   Not sure what the issue was, but maybe because the decals were about 10 years old?  I sand them down, lay the decal, then put micro-sol on them.   I spray dull coat on them afterwards.   I used the Tamiya brand since they stopped making Testors.   Any suggestions to avoid that?  I'm open to trying a different process for the Buick ones.

IMG_0364.jpeg

IMG_0362.jpeg

Making progress on the Buick, too.  Had to do some repair on the seat first, before painting.    Not sure what kind of glue this kid used 20+ years ago, but it was a pain to get the seat out!  I'm happy with the wheels, hopefully I can do better on the tires for this one.   I have several questions.   What color was the fuel line that runs through the passenger side in these cars?   Same with the water bottle.  not sure what color to paint that.  

IMG_0357.jpeg

IMG_0358.jpeg

IMG_0359.jpeg

IMG_0360.jpeg

IMG_0361.jpeg

IMG_0356.jpeg

Also, what direction should that fan be facing?  I see it with the pointy side (I'm guessing the motor) pointed in and out in different cars online.  I mounted it with the motor pointing forward, but I'm not sure that's correct.

Edited by Ben269

On 3/20/2021 at 2:55 PM, Ben269 said:

Also, what direction should that fan be facing?  I see it with the pointy side (I'm guessing the motor) pointed in and out in different cars online.  I mounted it with the motor pointing forward, but I'm not sure that's correct.

Hi Ben,

Can we get a pic? It would help. 

Got the Lumina body painted.  Tamiya Camel Yellow seemed close to the movie car.   Its brighter in real life than the photo.  These power slide decals have enough blue sections so you don't have to paint, but i'm skeptical about getting it to lay down smooth, especially around the window frames.   Might be just as difficult to match the blue on the decals, so I guess its a wash.

IMG_0366.jpeg

IMG_0367.jpeg

For my wheels I use a bottle of Testers Model Master clear flat that I got years ago. The brush on lays down nice and flat, but it gets rid of the gloss and the decal disappears nicely and it looks like it is printed on the tire. Hopefully you can find a bottle of the stuff. I have had mine for 20 years and I haven't used much at all.

Russ Wheeler car is almost finished.   I mixed up some blue and white to try and match the decals.   It looked good on the paper, but dried a bit darker over the orange.   You have to be pretty close to tell though.   This wasn't ever going to be a serious build, so I'm not too bothered by it.   A few more decals and it should be done.

IMG_0368.jpeg

IMG_0374.jpeg

IMG_0377.jpeg