Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1969 Olds 442

AMT68

Recent Round 2 release of the 1/25 scale 1969 Olds 442. Painted in Testors Revving Red and topped in Testors Glosscote. Going against factory correctness I omitted the hood decals, foiled the cowl vents and didn't darken the areas around the headlight bezels all out of personal preference. Overall this nicely detailed kit assembled well with just a few fitment issues. I slightly adjusted the ride height by gluing  a series of styrene strips to the chassis. Some of the trim lines on this one were definitely a challenge for my foiling "skills". 

DSC_1404 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1407 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1412 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1405 - Copy.JPG

4 hours ago, michelle said:

looks great 

Thanks michelle.

3 hours ago, Bucky said:

That's a well done Oldsmobile! Color looks great! Foil work looks fine to me, too!

Thanks Keith, it took quite a bit of time and foil to get this one presentable..

3 hours ago, cobraman said:

Nice model Tom.

Thank you Ray.

3 hours ago, RAMBENNA said:

sweet build, looks great, nice red color

Thanks Cliff.

2 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking paint finish and the foil work is cleanly done as well. 

Thank you David. If nothing else I'm persistent with the foil work. And there's room for improvement. 

2 hours ago, Captain Spaulding said:

Nice looking Cutlass, that red paint really stands out.

Thanks Jason. I picked up another can of this color as I'm quite fond of the look.

2 hours ago, Kah puts said:

Wonderful build, and that color combo, "there great! "As Tony the tiger would say.

Thanks Glen I seem to do a lot of my builds in white or off white interiors.

45 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

Very nice. 

Thanks Lee. 

Edited by AMT68

15 hours ago, charger74 said:

Very Nice 👍🏻👍🏻

Thanks Eric.

8 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Awesome!

Thanks Chris. 

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Very nice work Tom!

I know what you mean about the trim.

When I did my '68, the trim from the top of the front quarter to the bottom of the rear quarter window opening was no picnic.

The fender well moldings aren't exactly fun either! :P

Steve

Thanks Steve. On this model the trim that runs along the top of the front fenders was the most difficult for me and I thought the narrow "A" pillars also created a challenge. Nevertheless it didn't stop me from acquiring another kit when I was done. 

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

That looks great Tom, nice one. That chrome strip running into the window trim does look tricky, well done for getting it to look so sharp.

Thank you Nigel. It was an enjoyable build and while there's always room for improvement the trim foil was a valuable experience. 

44 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

It looks great! Forget factory perfect, do it your way because it’s your model!

Thanks Tom. While I admire those who do factory correct I'm also of a belief that these models give me a creative license to modify (if only slightly sometimes) how they left the factory. 

12 hours ago, AMT68 said:

Thanks Tom. While I admire those who do factory correct I'm also of a belief that these models give me a creative license to modify (if only slightly sometimes) how they left the factory. 

Absolutely...  when I built my Dodge Ramcharger, and brought it to a club meeting, immediately a rivet counter told me that year Ramcharger didn't have a black grille... I responded firmly, "If it was my truck it would!"    And that's my take on models.  I will modify them to my liking, just like I would if I owned the 1:1!

15 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Very nice Tom, red looks great with the white interior👍

Thank you Mike.

5 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Beautifully done!

Thank you Larry. 

3 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Looking good.

Thank you Jim.

3 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

She’s a beauty. Nice work!👍

Thank you Greg. 

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

immediately a rivet counter told me that year Ramcharger didn't have a black grille

rivet counter is a very appropriate description.