Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Impala 4 door finished

hedotwo

I described some of the issues I had with this build in my thread in the WIP category and also listed some of the mods I made including the seat backs, wheel covers and vinyl top.  Shout out to Tom Geiger for printing up the exact copies of the license plates for this build of one of our family cars.  Not having a color printer it was great for him to make them for me.   I used MCW Marina Blue Metallic and for the vinyl top I used Testor's Fabric Black.  Our car did not have the wheel opening chrome trim from the family pics I have so I did not foil them.  I did miss chroming the trunk key piece when I took the pics but since corrected ;).  I ended up very happy with the finished build in representing our car and the color is spot on.  I wasn't real happy with the chrome taillight assembly being so proud to the trunk but I didn't really notice it until after I'd painted.  If I had to do anything over I'd try and get the assembly to fit more flush.

Thanks!

IMG_8697.JPG

IMG_8698.JPG

IMG_8700.JPG

IMG_8704.JPG

IMG_8705.JPG

IMG_8706.JPG

IMG_8707.JPG

IMG_8708.JPG

IMG_8709.JPG

• Like 1

Rich that is awesome!  I didn't see your WIP however I will have to take a look and see how you made the wheel covers.  I need some bespoke covers for a project I am working on...

I see your family car had the optional vertical parking or city lights.  I think this was a rare option on the 67 and even 68 models.

This car looks awesome, glad the 4 door was offered as a kit!

Beautiful recreation of your families Impala. The paint and the vinyl roof look spot on. I watched you overcome several issues during your build and I'm going to remember how you overcame them when I get around to building this kit, someday. 

Our family car was a two door version of the this Impala and it was Nantucket Blue with a black vinyl top and interior with the same full wheel covers and bumperettes. It also had the front fender lights which were an option on the Impala. So this one brings back some memories. Truly a beautifully detailed build. 

58 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

Looks great.  I got one that  Dale  Gribble cast. How about your fender scripts?  I got Speedway Decals set for this car.

Yes the wheel cover decals are from Speedway and they worked great.  The front seat wasn't really hard to do but you need a spare rear seat to convert and then fab up the backside.  I like keeping the stock pleats and those chrome tabs.  Thanks for the tip about Speedway Decals Lee 😄

56 minutes ago, gseeds said:

Looks great, that top looks awesome!

The texture is probably a bit too coarse for the scale, but I'm happy with it.  I tried spraying flat black from a rattle can at a distance a couple of times but I just couldn't get enough of a texture.

Thanks

34 minutes ago, hedotwo said:

The texture is probably a bit too coarse for the scale, but I'm happy with it.  I tried spraying flat black from a rattle can at a distance a couple of times but I just couldn't get enough of a texture.

Thanks

Looks pretty good from here, I tried spraying satan black once on some masking tape, it looked pretty close to a real top, but kept peeling up !! Lol , I used 1”and 3/4 tape, but I think the trick is to use 2” tape sprayed satan black.

8 hours ago, hedotwo said:

Yes the wheel cover decals are from Speedway and they worked great.  The front seat wasn't really hard to do but you need a spare rear seat to convert and then fab up the backside.  I like keeping the stock pleats and those chrome tabs.  Thanks for the tip about Speedway Decals Lee 😄

👍glad to help.  I hope mine is half as nice as yours.  Mine has steels,  poverty caps and a 6! Yes, a 6 could be had!