Model Cars Magazine Forum

My rare auto models

caapa

Jensen Interceptor FF Mk III 1971

The Interceptor was a steel bodied car against the earlier glas fiber reinforced plastic bodies. The body is designed by Carrozzeria Touring of Italy and was buit by Vignale in Italy. Later the production went to England and some mofications were made on body design. The engine is a V8 7.2-litre 440ci from the Chrysler production and driving the rear wheels. There was only 15 Mark III produced.

The model is a Corgi Rockets 3” size. Originaly was the car too high on wheels. I must make a new section of base with the suspension in proper height for the axles. The wire wheels are from Matchbox.

Enjoy the pictures.

01 .jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

The Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport 2010

The car was introduced in 2010 and is a faster, more powerful – 1200 PS - version of the earlier Bugatti Veyron 16.4. The Super Sport has been driven as fast as 431.072 km/h and making it the fastest production road car in the world at the time of its introduction. The production Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport World Record Edition 2010

was limited to five units and sold out within just 45 minutes during the IAA in Frankfurt in 2007. Oh yes – the price was approx. 1.6m GBP.

The model is produced by an anonym manufacturer in China. The car is a toy car with pull back drive, light and sound, opening doors. But as a model it is acceptabel detailed outside and inside too. Of course with some painting could be more spectacular.

01 .jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Audi Sport Quattro S1 Pikes Peak  1986

The Audi Quattro revolutionized rallying. It was the first rally car to successfully use all-wheel drive. But the car was relatively heavy and long. There were several parts made easier and a section of 320 mm was cut from the chassis behind the doors to shorten the car. The Sport Quattro was born. The S1 had in competiton trim for the Pikes Peak  race 598 bhp from the turbocharged 2,110 cc engine. Walter Rhörl won on the 19.99 km long mountain track -  which at that time was mainly covered with gravel - in a record time of 10 minutes and 47.85 seconds. There is a short film about the dancing of Rhörls feet on the pedals really memorable.

The model is produced by Boss Suntory in 1:64. This is the only one 1:64 model of the Pikes Peak Audi. I needed complete the decoration only by some paint and decals.

Enjoy the pictures.

IMG_7938.jpg

IMG_7940.jpg

IMG_7942.jpg

IMG_7943.jpg

IMG_7944.jpg

IMG_7945.jpg

Peugeot 208 T16 GR Pikes Peak 2013

The car has a V6 bi-turbo mid-rear engine with 875 hp and with an acceleration to 100 kph in 1.8 sec. Peugeot had won the Pikes Peak with Ari Vatanen soon in 1988 and a year later with Robby Unser both driving a Peugeot 405 T16.

The Peugeot 208 not only won with Sebastian Loeb but set a new record with a 8:13 run which is more than 1 ½ min quicker as the best up to the present time.

The model made by Norev 1:64 scale. The little car was good decorated on the sides and on top. The front, the rear and the wing were empty. I completed the livery with some decals and paint.

Enjoy the pictures.

IMG_7927-1.jpg

IMG_7929-1.jpg

IMG_7931-1.jpg

IMG_7933-1.jpg

IMG_7934-1.jpg

IMG_7935-1.jpg

IMG_7937-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Toyota Celica Pikes Peak 1997

Toyota set a track record with a similar car in 1994 soon.  The car of 1997 was powered by a 2.1 litre turbo engine upwards of 850 HP. The lay out is front engine with all wheel drive. Rod Millen arrived the checkered flag only a half second slower than his 1994 track record but more than 30 second befor the second best.

The model is made by Hotwheels in Regular Line with rather good decoration. I corrected and completed the whole decoration and completed the details by painting inside.

Enjoy the pictures.

00.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Toyota Tacoma Pikes Peak Special 1998

The earlier Celica record driver the New Zealander Rod Millen built and drove this car. It is a 2.1 litre about 1000HP turbocharged,  mid-engined AWD monster but only 885 Kg light. The plastic body of car not very much suggests a Toyota Tacoma. Millens time was 10 min 04.2 sec.

The model is made by Hotwheels 3” in the regular line. I completed the car with a streamlined profile which isn`t originaly behind the cabin.  I removed the originaly pad printed  design and replaced and completed by decals.

Enjoy the pictures.

01 .jpg

02 .jpg

03 .jpg

04 .jpg

05 .jpg

06 .jpg

07 .jpg

Volkswagen ID.R Pikes Peak 2019

The car is equiped with e-engines for the front and rear. Together 680 HP powered by two litium-ion  battery pack 915 V and 43 kWh totaly. The batteries could be reloaded in 20 minutes. The french racing driver Romain Dumas took a new record  just 7 minutes 57.148 seconds to cover the 19.99 kilometers of the legendary track.

The model is made by Hotwheels in the Thrill Climber line. I completed the livery by decals and a few paint and the rear wing with outside second spoilers.

Enjoy the pictures.

01 .jpg

02 .jpg

03 .jpg

04 .jpg

05 .jpg

Bentley Continental GT Pikes Peak 2019

The Bentley was the winner in the category  of the fastest production car. The car was driven by “King of the Mountain” Rhys Millen, who managed to cover the 19.98-kilometer course in just 10:18.488 minutes. „This is an amazing finish to a wet, snowy 2019 run at Pikes Peak,” said Millen. To put that number into perspective, that’s 8.4 seconds faster than the previous record.

The model is made by Mini GT in 1:64 . The outfit is perfect.

Enjoy the pictures.

01 IMG_7951-1.jpg

02 IMG_7954-1.jpg

03 IMG_7955-1.jpg

04 IMG_7953-1.jpg

05 IMG_7952-1.jpg

Mercedes Mc Laren SLR Stirling Moss 2009

The car is inspirated by Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR the winner of Mille Mlia 1955 with Stirling Moss behind the wheel. This is a limited edition to 75 cars. Unveiled at the North American International Auto Show January 2009. The car is equiped with a supercharged 5.4 litre SLR AMG V8 engine 660 PS. This power is enough for a top speed of 350 km/h. The planned 75 cars were produced till end of 2009.

The model is made in China by MZS in 1:24 scale. Little plus are light and motorsound.

Enjoy the pictures.

01 .jpg

02 .jpg

03 .jpg

04 .jpg

05 .jpg

06 .jpg

07 .jpg

GMC Firebird I. 1954

The 1954 XP-21 Firebird 1 was the first gas turbine automobile ever to be built and tested in the United States. The car was a fighter jet for the road powered by a 370 HP gas turbine acting on the rear wheels via a transmission.  The body was developed by wind tunnel  tests and was  one of the first examples of the application of aerodynamic theories to automobile vehicle design. The first person was Conklin to drive the car. As the car arrived 100 mph he set the second gear but rear  tires lost traction under the extreme engine torque and he immediately slowed down for fear of crashing.                                  

GM intended to test the practical feasibility of gas turbine use in cars only.

The model made by Norev in 1:64. It is really good detailed with good proportions.

Enjoy the pictures.

IMG_8062.JPG

IMG_8071.JPG

IMG_8072.JPG

Chuck Jordan (rip) that designed it (also did Aerotrain) was a huge model car nut. 
He had a 1/2 scale buck of F3 in his car barn. Great car. We swapped some kits back then. Brochure collection was insane. I got 166MM brochure from him.  

GMC Firebird II 1956

GM developed a regenerative gas turbine for cars and it was installed in XP-500 experimental car. This was the „engineer” version and the Firebird II the „designer” version of the four seater car. The Firebird II was introduced at the 1956 GM Motorama.  There was a lot of innovation beside the new kind of turbine:  like a titanium body, all-wheel independent suspension with automatic load-leveling, power disc brakes, alternator, magnetic ignition key, electric gear selection, and individually controlled air conditioning. The car was intended to run on future highways directed from elektronic centers.

The XP-500 model  is out of diecast line:  this one of model is built by me from plastic, resin and wood parts in 1:75 scale. The Firebird II is made by Norev in 1:64 scale.

gm xp 500 01.jpg

gm xp 500 02.jpg

IMG_8063.JPG

IMG_8068.JPG

IMG_8069.JPG

On 8/20/2021 at 10:44 AM, caapa said:

Mercedes Mc Laren SLR Stirling Moss 2009

The car is inspirated by Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR the winner of Mille Mlia 1955 with Stirling Moss behind the wheel. This is a limited edition to 75 cars. Unveiled at the North American International Auto Show January 2009. The car is equiped with a supercharged 5.4 litre SLR AMG V8 engine 660 PS. This power is enough for a top speed of 350 km/h. The planned 75 cars were produced till end of 2009.

The model is made in China by MZS in 1:24 scale. Little plus are light and motorsound.

Enjoy the pictures.

01 .jpg

02 .jpg

03 .jpg

04 .jpg

05 .jpg

06 .jpg

07 .jpg

Thanks to the posting by CAAPA I was alerted to this model and received it today.  It is a nice addition to my Mercedes 300 SLR family.

20210905_105543.jpg.be082c118ef489568ab9f714c320b396.jpg

20210905_105612.jpg.f3ba09cd878f663f48a5a0941e378e13.jpg

GMC Firebird III 1958

The Firebird III broke a number of legendary  GM  designer Harley Earl's styling rules. . It had very little chrome and no parallel lines. The vehicle also put the ultimate twist on tailfins. It equiped with cruis control, air conditioning, anti-lock brakes  and it also featured air drag brakes similar to those found on aircraft. The car's steering was controlled by a joystick positioned between the two seats. There were only a few peaple able and allowed to drive the car.

The first picture is with Firebird IV together.

The Firebird III was made by Norev in 1:64 scale. Norev was the only one manufacturer of the three Firebirds in this scale.

IMG_8064.jpg

IMG_8066.jpg

IMG_8067.jpg

On 9/11/2021 at 3:05 PM, Gramps46 said:

I am enjoying your Firebird collection.  Those were the days when designers had free rein to pursue their ideas.

Hi Gary,

I like the Firebirds also. I built for about 25 years all 3 in scale 1:75 and at last the Firebird IV in 1:75 and 1:64 too.

On 9/11/2021 at 10:41 PM, keyser said:

Jordan that did the Firebirds then also did the Firebird showcar that Revell and Hot Wheels did. Bookends. Cool

Hi CL Szell,

your info is totaly new for me ! I found pictures only Firebird III 1958 made by Hubley Real Toy but the scale is unknown. And found Firebird I 1954 by Hallmark Keepsake - sure not 1:64. Which ones are made by Jordan, Revell and Hotwheels ? I didn`t find any further info about tham. Do you have perhaps ?

On 8/27/2021 at 8:51 AM, caapa said:

GMC Firebird I. 1954

The 1954 XP-21 Firebird 1 was the first gas turbine automobile ever to be built and tested in the United States. The car was a fighter jet for the road powered by a 370 HP gas turbine acting on the rear wheels via a transmission.  The body was developed by wind tunnel  tests and was  one of the first examples of the application of aerodynamic theories to automobile vehicle design. The first person was Conklin to drive the car. As the car arrived 100 mph he set the second gear but rear  tires lost traction under the extreme engine torque and he immediately slowed down for fear of crashing.                                  

GM intended to test the practical feasibility of gas turbine use in cars only.

The model made by Norev in 1:64. It is really good detailed with good proportions.

Enjoy the pictures.

IMG_8062.JPG

IMG_8071.JPG

IMG_8072.JPG

Chrysler  had the first production turbine car in 1954 which was introduced to the public in 1953 when they installed it in a 1954 Plymouth. Chrysler was way ahead of GM on Turbine car development.

1190117180_PlymouthTurbinecar.jpg.ed026f7b62faf7d2465819887bb75683.jpg

Edited by Vietnam Vet67
addition of info.

Hi Ed,

many thanks for the correction and addition. Yes, Crysler installed a gasturbine in a car (a production one) earlier as  GMC built a complet new car with gasturbine.  But Chrysler went in development to a production car in limited quantity, the Chrysler Turbine 1964 with a beautiful body by Ghia.

GMC used its cars for show and tests only.