Model Cars Magazine Forum

My rare auto models

caapa

Sorry you misunderstood, and I screwed up the name. I was thinking of the Pontiac Banshee that Revell and Hot Wheels did. 
Chuck Jordan was GM stylist that did the original Firebirds and retired as chief of GM styling. One of last show cars he designed before he retired was the Pontiac Banshee. 

BACAFF64-8A93-4C16-9ADE-6D3413B8851A.jpeg

6 hours ago, caapa said:

Hi Ed,

many thanks for the correction and addition. Yes, Crysler installed a gasturbine in a car (a production one) earlier as  GMC built a complet new car with gasturbine.  But Chrysler went in development to a production car in limited quantity, the Chrysler Turbine 1964 with a beautiful body by Ghia.

GMC used its cars for show and tests only.

I worked at the Chrysler Technical Center for over 42 years doing race engine development. The Turbine Lab was across the aisle from me covering about a 1/4 of the building space on the first floor. They got to hear our race engines on the dynos making lots of noise and when we went down to their dynos all we heard was "whoosh". Pretty BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH cool.

GMC Firebird IV. 1964

The Firebird IV debuted at the  1964 New York World`s Fair, in the General Motors Futurama Exhibit.  According some sources GM didn`t want to develope a Firebird IV. So they „officialy” introduced the car in 1969 with the name Buick Century Cruiser. ( but one of the publicity photos  shows the 1964 GM Firebird IV concept) The car was designed for cruising on automated highways in the distant future. . The experimental  vehicle offered hands free driving by a punched card with information about the intended destination and controled by hihgway centers.  The prototype could be manually operated via pistol grips positioned in the armrests for steering and speed regulation  too. An entrance canopy slid forward and upward, permitting doors on each side to glide ahead and allow passengers to enter. But the exhibited car was not operable – it had to be pushed in the exhibishon hall.

The model is „out of the diecast”  range:  I built this one of model  from vacuum formed plastic,epoxi  castings and wood  parts in 1:64 scale. Interieur is highly detailed.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

On 9/15/2021 at 1:32 AM, Vietnam Vet67 said:

Chrysler  had the first production turbine car in 1954 which was introduced to the public in 1953 when they installed it in a 1954 Plymouth. Chrysler was way ahead of GM on Turbine car development.

1190117180_PlymouthTurbinecar.jpg.ed026f7b62faf7d2465819887bb75683.jpg

GM and Chrysler found the cost to produce turbine cars would have been prohibitive.  The technology was decades ahead of its time, and would probably be a viable option today.  Thanks for the photos, Ed!

Porsche 718 F2 Behra 1959

Jean Behra was sportscar driver in the `50-es. He drove franch, italian and german sportcars with more or less succes .But he was rather good with the  Porsche 718 RSK. Despite his obligations to Ferrari, Behra commissioned Porsche to build a Formula 2 single-seater car, taking componentry from the 718 'RSK'  Behra  enter his new car for the 1959 Monaco Grand Prix, with Behra's good friend Maria Teresa de Filippis at the wheel. but de Filippis was unable to qualify. Behra got to push from Ferrari and he could start on the German  Grand  Prix. It was the only one ever to be held at the AVUS circuit in Berlin. The track was  famous with its high tilted bends and it was catastrophic for Behra.  He drove with 180 kmh in the high bend  in rainy conditions and  crashed fataly. The car was  raced in the next years but was not successful.

The model made by Kaiser Models in Hungary 1:43 scale. The model is a resin casting with no runing wheels – a real collectors item. There was only 100 pc built. I took part in production with carving the master piece of body  and got one as a gift.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

• Thanks 2

Ferrari FXX K Evo 2018

The car is based on FXX K. The aerodinamic refinements result that the car produces 23% more downforce than the standard FXX K and 75% more than the road-legal LAFERRARI. FXX K Evo isn`t road legal.  The V12 engine has been tuned for track use as well as the HY-KERS system. The 6.3-litre V12 and the electric motor gives a total of 1,096 bhp and over 664 lb of torque. The car has a top speed of 370 – 404 km/h depending on degree of tuning up. It is available as a new car and as an upgrade package for a FXX K.  The production will be limited to only a few cars and aerodynamic packages for FXX K owners.

The model is in 1:24 scale and made by  HengTengToys/China. It is a toycar with pull back engine, headlights and motorsound. Some decals and the prancing horse on rear are added.

Enjoy the pictures.

01 IMG_8138.jpg

02 IMG_8145.jpg

03 IMG_8144.jpg

04 IMG_8150.jpg

05 IMG_8153.jpg

06 IMG_8152.jpg

07 IMG_8143.jpg

08 IMG_8147.jpg

09 IMG_8167.jpg

10 IMG_8162.jpg

Rolls Royce Silver Cloud III Mulliner Park Ward Drop Head Coupe 1965

Rolls Royce traditionally made current chassis available to coachbuilders. Mulliner Park Ward designed an Avant Garde „Chinese Eye” body with unusual slanted headlights. The idea came from Italian designers. The car was built with separate front seats and increased room for rear passengers. The slope of the bonnet was slightly increased and so the radiator grille height was 38 mm lower. This lower grille was used on next Rolls Royce designs too. Some 100 of the 328 coach-built Silver Cloud IIIs were of this style but only 49 Drop Head Coupes were built with left hand drive.

The model is made by Lone Star in the line of IMPY Road Masters Super Cars in England 1:64 scale. It has  a suspension and all openings are operable. The car is repainted.

Enjoy the pictures.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Bugatti Type 57 SC Atalante 1938

The Atalante was one of the most beautiful variant of the Type 57.  The car is powered by an inline 8 cylinder engine, 3257 cc, supecharged, 210 PS. The car with the light aluminium body arrived a top speed about 200 kph. Only 17 Atalante cars were made and few has outlived the decades. But not long ago one was discovered in a private garage, having been stored untouched for 48 years. It was auctioned in February 2009 in Paris, France, fetching 5 million USD.

The model is made by Franklin Mint in 1:24 scale. The model is full of nice details. Doors, hood and trunk are to open the front wheels are steerable. But I`m not sure they should be steered by the steering wheel or not ? The steering wheel is to turn but the front wheels are don`t spin. Probably it was the reason of the good stroke of business.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

Lamborghini Huracan LP 620-2 Super Trofeo 2014

The Super Trofeo is an international motor racing series which is organized in 3 continental series: Europe, Asia, and North America. The road car is modified by Lamborghini and Dallara. The race car is 2 wheel drive and the car is made 262 kilos lighter than the four-wheel drive road car. In addition the Huracan got a pretty serious aerodynamic work-out too. For example the huge rear wing has 10 different positions to squash the Lambo into the tarmac at race tracks across the world.

The model is a RC toycar made by Maisto scale 1:24. There is no interieur and engine modeled aside from the technical equipment of RC steering and drive. The livery isn`t complet – some logos are missing. Alas I have no printer for print white transparent decals.

01 .jpg

02 .jpg

03 .jpg

04.jpg

05 .jpg

Bugatti Vision Gran Turismo 2015

It’s one of the most extreme cars Bugatti has ever designed. The project started out as a fictional car for the Gran Turismo series of racing-themed video games. The one-off concept car has a mid-engine 8.0 L quad-turbocharged W16 engine with 1500 PS, a 7 speed gearbox and all-wheel-drive. The color scheme was influenced by the 1937 Le Mans winning  Bugatti Type 57G Tank racer. It was originally sold  to Prince Badr bin Saud of Saudi Arabia for a rumored $5 million in 2016. The second owner Hezy Shaked is believed to have paid $5.16 million.

The model is made by Double Horses in China scale 1:24. The front wheels are posable. The doors are to open and the interieur is in all black. Some detailing with paint and decals coud make it even more similar to 1:1.

Enjoy the pictures.

01 IMG_7973.jpg

02 IMG_7975.jpg

03 IMG_7976.jpg

04 IMG_7977.jpg

05 IMG_7972.jpg

06 IMG_7974.jpg

Looked in vain for this car today. 
Do you have a source? 

Double Horses is Jiaye toys, they have a Bentley Mulsanne sedan in 1:24 I need. 
Ebay has little save M6 and M4 DTM, and a 6 door Mulsanne. I think they did the CSL concept too. 
Jiaye/DH seems to have something with Rastar as well. I found a Huayra spider today, 1:24, that may be theirs. 
Gary, the Maisto is a regular Chiron. This was a one off, there is a resin kit out there I’ve seen ages ago. Hope you’re well
Love your collection. 
Help. Stuff to buy.FAE4BAE3-B6AC-4A6F-A72C-2ADA5AFF9B0E.thumb.jpeg.4c6c79ccad3ae508e2ecccff7bbc4108.jpeg

Edited by keyser
Forgot

Hi Gary,

I didn`t know that Maisto produces the Bugatti Vision Gran Turismo.  I checked the 2021 catalogue and it isn`t in.

Hi keyser,

I purchased the model on Aliexpres in 2019. Hopefully there are some to find still.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

My wording was wrong.   The Maisto is a regular Chiron which I knew but it didn't come out that way.

You know better than most of us. Lol  

Here’s kit I mentioned. “Cheaper” than I remember. https://www.hiroboy.com/124_Bugatti_Vision_Gran_Turismo_VGT_Full_Resin_Model_kit--product--11996.html

Someday I’ll show my 1/24 street P4/5. Sadly at this point my resin won’t get done methinks. 

Maserati Granturismo Sport 2018

Ferrari and Maserati were always great rivals.  Ironically the 4.2-litre V8 engine of the Granturismo developed in conjunction with Ferrari. The car set a record for the most quickly developed car in the auto industry, going from design to production stage in just nine months only. A total of 28,805 GranTurismos and 11,715 Convertibles were produced. But to see one on the roads seldom if ever.

The model is made by RMZ in 1:64 scale. Some detail painting made it better.

Enjoy the pictures.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal 1970

The Alfa Romeo Montreal got its name thanks for the circumtance that the prototype was introduced at Expo 67 held in Montreal. But none of the production cars were sold in Canada or USA because it couldn`t meet the actual emission control requirements. As to the car it is a a genuine GT: 2593 cc V8 with 200 HP and an incredible sound,  especially as you let it rev. The gearbox is a delight to shift, accelerating is a reasonable 7.6 sec 0 - 60 mph. The ride is comfortable in the interior with excellent materials.

The model is made by Polistil 1:25 scale.  The car was a bargain with missing steeringwheel. So the project started with the goal to make a new steeringwheel. But as I saw the lot of details of the molds I couldn`t resist to make a total rework.

Enjoy the pictures.

IMG_82671.jpg

IMG_82691.jpg

IMG_82721.jpg

IMG_82741.jpg

IMG_82751.jpg

IMG_82781.jpg

IMG_82821.jpg

• Like 1

Mc Laren 720S 2017

It is the second all-new car in the McLaren Super Series. Built on a modified carbon monocoque, lighter and stiffer than the previous 650S. The engine is a 3,994 cc twinturbo V8 with 720 PS – comes the name from here. The maximum speed is 341 km/h, acceleration  to 100 km/h is 2.9 sec and 7.8 sec to 200 km/h. The interior providing unrivalled visibility and carefully positioned controls for comfort.

And if you want to drive in Track Mode only sit in and press the start button.

Nothing happens.

Press the Active button, turn both switches into Track Mode.  Now hold the brake down and start the engine. The engine will blare into life.

The model made by Jada in 1:24 scale. Everything is to open, the rear spoiler too. But originaly it was blocked by the thick paint. The grey models have not this problem.

Enjoy the pictures.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

I’ve got Saros grey one. Nice model, the chrome over DLO needs to be dark grey-black. Dash pod needs a bit of detailing, but I’ve been waiting for this since late 17 for some odd reason. Need a GT3 version too. It’s a bit big but not dreadful next to Maisto GT3RS or Huracan. 
Another nice car in your collection. Thx. 

Hi keyser,

Yes it is a really nice model. Well some detailing could be done. I hope in the winter season to do them. And it is a bit too great as like the Lamborghini Centenario Transformers. Is it typical  at Jada ? I have two Jada 1:64 and they seem to bo a bit too great too.

Best regards: János Velics

De Tomaso Mangusta 1969

The name "mangusta" is Italian for "mongoose", an animal that can kill cobras. It was rumored that the car was so named in retaliation to a failed deal between De Tomaso and Carroll Shelby   And what to wait from an argentien who build cars in Italy with american power : an american muscle car with a lot of power (306 HP) and high noise level in the body of an elegant italian sportscar. The prototype was built with a glass fiber reinforced plastic body but the production used aluminium bodys.  The Ford 289 V8 accelerates  the „cobra killer” to 100 km/h in 7.1 sec. The top speed is 249 km/h. There were total  401 built which 251 was sold in the USA.  The importeur  exempted the car from timely safety regulations because the Mangusta came without seat belts and had headlights far lower as allowed.

The blue model is a Corgi Junior Whizzwheels 1:64 scale. Repainted and custom wheels with real tyres are added.

The golden metalic model is a Solido 1:43 scale. It is in original condition. Only the head and rear lights are repainted. The opening engine hood is very fin made - better than the Polistil.

The orange model is made by Polistil in 1:25 scale.  It was a bargain and according this was the condition of the model  too. So it needed a full renovation:  repaint the body, detailing by painting.  Additionally I made rugs with De Tomaso logo for driver and passenger side, logos to the wheels center. But  the suspensions of wheels work  fine with spiral springs in original condition !

Enjoy the pictures.

IMG_83201.jpg

IMG_83211.jpg

IMG_83171.jpg

IMG_83181.jpg

IMG_83191.jpg

01 IMG_8134.jpg

02 IMG_8113.jpg

03 IMG_8120.jpg

04 IMG_8119.jpg

05 IMG_8114.jpg

06 IMG_8132.jpg

07 IMG_8126.jpg

08 IMG_8130.jpg

09 IMG_8087.jpg

10 IMG_8090.jpg

BMW 3.0 CSL 1973

The car was introduced in May 1972. The 3.0 CSL was a homologation special built to make the car eligible for racing in the European Touring Car Championship.  The engine is 3.2 litre, 206 PS and the car arrived a top speed of 222 km/h.  CSL drivers winning the Drivers title six times in the years 1973 to 1979.

Jägermeister concluded a partnership agreement with Alpina in 1973. The Jägermeister coupé was driven by Niki Lauda.

The model is made by Schuco in 1:66 scale. Beside repaint and decoration with decals was only the front spoiler added.

Enjoy the pictures.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg