Model Cars Magazine Forum

My rare auto models

caapa

1:75 story 02

Citroen DS 21 1968 

The Citroen DS was not a rare car. There was nearly 1,5 million built in 20 years.  But this was the first mass production car equipped with hydropneumatic suspension, as well as disc brakes.

I remember the funny behavior of the rear at braking: the back of the car lifted high suddenly and than sinked elegant slow back to normal level.  The responsibel for all these is the brake button on the pedal and the connceted hydraulic system of steering, brakes and suspension. The brake button has only about 3/8 inch to travel from zero to full stop. As the car tilted forward by braking the high hydraulic pressure (the same in brake- and suspension system) lifted the rear extra and gave the tires more load for better braking. An effect like ABS.

I found a side view drawing in a magazin and with the help of dimensions data and photos I made a blueprint. The model curved from wood , the head lights made of plexi, the rear lights from transparent red plastic of a toothbrush handle. The model has an elastic suspension made with plastic foam.  I glued a piece of leaden in bottom to give some load and so the model rolled perfect on uneven surface too. With time the foam is compacted and the car sinked to a „low-rider” level. Similar as the 1:1 car did after switch off the engine.

Ford J Car 1966 

The first Ford J-Car, with a lightened chassis and fiberglass body, was completed in March of 1966, and it made its first public appearance at the Le Mans Trials where it recorded the fastest time. Because of modifications in track layout to make it safer and safer the lap times are increased and the record is today the same perhaps. After Ford GT40’s 1-2-3 win at LeMans in 1966 the J-car project was put on hold. Later after some transformation the J-Cars officially became known as the Ford GT MK IV.

I found a blueprint of the car in a hungarian modeling magazine and immediately began to curve. The paintwork is made by brushable enamel for bicycles.  I experimented with longitudinal swingarms suspension but the model didn`t rolling well. Sorry it`s a shame for a Ford J model.

Mc Laren M6A 1967 

The M6A had the first monocoque chassis constructed by McLaren. The team created a fuel injection system for their Chevrolet V8 engines and they changed the tyre supplier from Firestone to Goodyear.  The car was a winner from the begining and they winn the 1967 Can-Am Challenge Cup with Bruce McLaren and Danny Hulme as first and second.

The Mc Laren M6A was in the modeling magazine too but with a type mark M8A mistaken . I prepared the model same way as the other ones. Only the suspension  is now wishbons A form. The rolling isn`t better as the Ford.

01 IMG_0001 cit.jpg

02 IMG_8752.jpg

03 IMG_8750.jpg

04 IMG_8754.jpg

05 IMG_8773.jpg

06 IMG_0001 mcl+ford.jpg

06 IMG_0008 ford+mcl.jpg

07 IMG_8756.jpg

08 IMG_8755.jpg

09 IMG_8757.jpg

10 IMG_8759.jpg

11 IMG_0001 mcl.jpg

11 IMG_8761.jpg

12 IMG_8760.jpg

13 IMG_8766.jpg

14 IMG_8763.jpg

• Like 2

Many thanks for the nice comment Gary.

I curved only one in 1:24 scale not from wood but from styrofoam. And that was not the model only a template to make the model.  More details you can find in the forums Under Glass section - WOLOMOPRO  Lamborghini Marzal.

O.S.I. Silver Fox 1967

During the mid fifties Piero Taruffi – a race driver -  got  the idea to build a car with two  hulls. The driver was sitting in one of tham the emgine was in the other one. They were connected and there  was the radiator. It named ˇbisiluro” what takes twin-torpedo in italian.

The Silver Fox is built according the same  precept.  The engine is placed behind the seat left  slantwise. The driver seated right side. The two hulls are connected by the driver's cab and three tail units in the form of wings. The first of these can be adjusted as required while the vehicle is stationary in order to determine the strength of the downforce. The middle one can be adjusted while driving, the rear one is fixed. The ready prototype was  never tested  because the manufacturer went bankrupt.

The model made by a No Name manufacturer in 3” size. They made a little misstake by placing the engine in the middle of car. The model is repainted and detailed by some decals and metal mesh before the radiator.

IMG_8368.jpg

IMG_8371.jpg

IMG_8370.jpg

IMG_8372.jpg

IMG_8369.jpg

• Like 1

Rolls Royce Phantom VIII 2018

Nearly 100 years since the first Rolls-Royce Phantom was unveiled.  It is the longest continuously used model name in automotive history. The newest Phantom is the „pinnacle” of Rolls-Royce now.  It has been in development for six years and is the first built on a bespoke aluminium spaceframe architecture. The suspension system is linked to a stereo camera mounted behind the windscreen. This scans the road ahead and preconfigures the spring and damper rates, and the anti-roll bars, so as to improve ride quality. The Phantom VIII is the first Rolls-Royce to be fitted with four wheel steering. As the speed may be higher the rear wheels shall be turn counter, than don`t turn and at higher speed turn in the same direction as the front wheels. So the system abel to better manoeuvrability and increase high-speed stability too. The car uses "Silent-Seal" tyres co-developed with Continental. And it was only some little technical delicatessen and even not to mention the luxury ones. I think this car is just as a Rolls Royce should be.

The model is made by Che-Zhi, China in 1:24 scale. The „protection” of Emily is even nearer to 1:1 solution: after open the hood you can lay back the ornament.

Enjoy the pictures.

IMG_8570.jpg

IMG_8566.jpg

IMG_8567.jpg

IMG_8569.jpg

IMG_8573.jpg

IMG_8571.jpg

IMG_8574.jpg

New-1.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Gary,

yes, this steering system seems rather curious. But if we think over: at low speed a "short wheelbase" make the car more agile in cornering. And the oposite turning the rear wheels make a shorter wheelbase virtually and give a greater agility and performance around corners. At high speeds you don`t need to "corner

" but a good straight run is important. A "long wheelbase" is an advantage in this situation and the parallel turning the rear wheels with the front ones make a longer wheelbase virtually and ensure full control of the vehicle and excellent stability. The Lamborghini Aventador SVJ 2018 has a similar rear steering system.

1:75 story 03

Lancia Stratos Zero Concept 1970 

In 1969, Nuccio Bertone wished to expand his portfolio by getting Lancia’s attention, luring the company away from its long relationship with Pininfarina and Zagato. He bought a friend’s Lancia Fulvia which was damaged in an accident, but most of its mechanical components, including the engine and suspension, remained intact. Bertone planned to reinvent the Fulvia with a mid-engine layout, so it was capable of competing on the world rally stage against the Alpine A110 and Ford GT70. The project was handed to Bertone’s young prodigy Marcello Gandini who saw an opportunity to push his radical wedge design to the extreme. The car took the Turin Motor Show 1970 and catapulted its designer into superstardom.

The model was made in usual way  with rubber tyres but without any suspension. 

Ferrari 365 GTB4 Daytona 1968 

Sleek and modern Pininfarina lines were matched with the 4.4-litre V12 engine 259 kW.  The excellent weight distribution provided by the rear gearbox transaxle produced the rare balance of the car. The top speed was 280 km/h. The 365 GTB4 was a milestone in the history of extreme high-performance front-engined sports cars and a great concurrent of the „modern” mid-engined Lamborghini Miura. The unofficial Daytona name is reported to have been applied by the media and commemorates Ferrari's 1-2-3 finish in the 1967 24 Hours of Daytona.  Ferrari itself only rarely refers to the 365 as the "Daytona".

The model was made in usual way  with rubber tyres but without any suspension. 

lancia hf stratos 01.jpg

lancia hf stratos 02.jpg

ferrari 365 gtb4 01.jpg

ferrari 365 gtb4 02.jpg

Ligier Matra JS5 1976

Guy Ligier, having secured backing from the French tobacco company SEITA,  recruited Gérard Ducarouge constructor from Matra and set about preparing an entry for Formula One. The first car was ready for testing in November 1975 and was powered by the Matra MS73 V12 engine. The new French F2 champion Jacques Laffite proved much the quicker in testing as the experienced Jean-Pierre Beltoise, and secured the drive. The early races in 1976 were completed with the JS5 bearing a large airbox (earning the car the nickname of "Teapot") but changes in regulations following the 1976 Spanish Grand Prix saw this drastically downsized. The improved car arrived good results in the season. By the end Ligier, with 20 points, placed sixth in the Constructor's Championship and Laffite was seventh in the Driver's Championship.

The model made by Polistil scale 1:55 primarily. I loved that great airbox since 1976 but there was no model of this in 3” range. Not long ago I found a blueprint of this car in internet.  As I had two original Polistil cars I converted one to the early version. I beveled the small airintake from the driver`s seat to the end of body above the engine. Curved the great one from wood and glued with epoxi putty. The livery was made by self made decals.

Enjoy the pictures.

1 IMG_8400.jpg

2 IMG_8397.jpg

3 IMG_8398.jpg

4 IMG_8402.jpg

5 IMG_8399.jpg

6 IMG_8404.jpg

7 IMG_8394.jpg

Lamborghini Essenza SC V12 2020

The Essenza is a track-only sports car, produced by Squadra Corse racing division of Lamborghini. It isn`t a racecar only built to ”race” in a series of special Essenza only track days at circuits around the world. Emanuele Pirro, the five-time Le Mans winner who helped develop the car is on hand to give advice to Essenza owners. The car is based on Aventador SVJ but with a lot of differencies.The car is powered by a version of Lamborghini’s long-serving 6.5-liter naturally aspirated V-12, running without catalysts and now making 819 HP. It is the most powerful and the last purely naturally-aspirated car built by Lamborghini. The car is 136 kg lighter than the Aventador SVJ and features a FIA approved carbon composite crash structure and a carbon fibre monocoque which is the first to be homologated without the use of metal roll cage. A journalist got a prototype of Essenza to test drive at Vallelunga, wearing a warning “Attenzione: Macchina Veloce,” or “Warning: Fast Car.”

The model is made by Jiglifang/China 1:24 scale.

Enjoy the pictures.

01 IMG_8812.jpg

02 IMG_8805.jpg

03 IMG_8807.jpg

04 IMG_8814.jpg

05 IMG_8808.jpg

06 IMG_8822.jpg

07 IMG_8815.jpg

08 IMG_8821.jpg

09 IMG_8820.jpg

10 IMG_8817.jpg

11 IMG_8818.jpg

1-75 story 05 Alfa Romeo BAT 5, BAT 7, BAT 9 Bertone  concepts, 1953 – 1954 – 1955

The cars originated from a joint collaboration project between Alfa Romeo and the Italian design house Bertone and designed by Franco Scaglione. Alfa Romeo  commissioned three concept vehicles to research the effects of drag on a vehicle. Each of the BAT cars (Berlina Aerodinamica Technica) based on an about  100 HP 4 cylinder engine with a 5 speed gearbox.  The BAT 5 arrived 200 km/h with its 0.23 drag coefficient. For the BAT 7 Bertone added elements from his experience working in the aeronautical  industry. The front was lowered and the the tail fins were larger and more curved. The result is a drag coefficient 0.19, an achievement even by today's standards. The BAT 9 was designed more like to the then current Alfa Romeo models than the other BATs. All three original BATs have been restored. After some appearances at car shows and museum they were sold as one lot on an auction for US$14.840 million.

The models are curved from wood as the earlier ones but they got a bubble of transparent plastic and so were more really models with windows and interieur too.

Enjoy the pictures.

01 IMG_0003.jpg

02 IMG_0007.jpg

03 alfa romeo bat 5 01.jpg

04 alfa romeo bat 5 02.jpg

05 alfa romeo bat 7 01.jpg

06 alfa romeo bat 7 02.jpg

07 alfa romeo bat 9 01.jpg

08 alfa romeo bat 9 02.jpg

09 alfa romeo bat 9 03.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Gary the nice comment. The cars were a great success in 1988 when I show tham on a model car exhibishon. Two magazins reportrs are wrot about my 1:75 scale works.

Rolls Royce Phantom VI 1972

The Phantom VI was produced with an engine 6230 cc, 244 HP connected to a 4-speed automatic and arrived 180 km/h top speed.  Only 374 units were built between 1968 and 1990. This particular unit  was built by Mulliner Park Ward  with electric windows and rear seats, black and white television,  separate FM radio and air conditioning for front and rear compartments, a drinks cabinet and an intercom and telephone system. The car includes a radio station and transmissions too used by police. The car was owned at some point by a former princess from the Middle East and got this colour combo. She used this car in Paris and has travelled 9,906 miles only. The car is now in the Tiriac Collection in Romania which is the only current gallery that features all 7 Phantom models of the I-VII series.

The model is made by Tomica 1:78 as a Phantom V. But the last Phantom VI was built by special order of the Sultan of Brunei in 1995 even so it was named Rolls Royce Phantom V Limousine. So I betought  that I may name the Tomica Phantom V after the custom painting as Phantom VI.

Enjoy the pictures.

1 IMG_8634.jpg

2 IMG_8629.JPG

3 IMG_8631.jpg

4 IMG_8630.jpg

5 IMG_8637.jpg

• Like 2

Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray Racing Special (XP-87) 1959

It was originally conceived as a race car, rather than the concours queen it has become. Bill Mitchell - then Vice President for Design at GM - in 1959 decided to pay the princely sum of one dollar to bring the test mule Corvette SS out of a premature retirement. But being a designer, wanted to flaunt some of his team’s aesthetic creativity. The after-hours project took place in the ‘Hammer Room’: a secret work area hidden behind a tool room.  The car had the fuel-injected 4.6-litre V8 producing  311 bhp and arrived 155 mph top speed. It made its debut at the Maryland Marlboro Raceway at the hands of ‘Flying Dentist’ Dick Thompson, and narrowly missed out on a podium finish.  The Stingray reportedly had a tendency to ‘take off’ beyond 140 mph, with its aerodynamics failing to provide enough downforce at the front end. Subsequent modifications were made, which proved successful enough for Thompson and his steed to bring home their class championship during the 1960 SCCA season.  At last the GM bosses showing interest in turning it into an official show car for the company.

The model made by Auto-Art scale 1:18. I was lucky to get it with a rather good price cut in a toy shop.

Enjoy the pictures.

01 IMG_8493.jpg

02 IMG_8488.jpg

03 IMG_8490.jpg

04 IMG_8491.jpg

05 IMG_8494.jpg

06 IMG_8495.jpg

07 IMG_8496.jpg

08 IMG_8501.jpg

09 IMG_8500.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/16/2022 at 12:05 AM, cobraman said:

I love the B.A.T cars.

Yes. The BAT cars are high in my favorits list. But the BAT 11 I don`t like  so much. So I didn`t curved one model.

GM Firebird I, XP-500, Firebird II, III and IV.

General Motors never intended these cars for production, but rather to highlight the extremes of technology and design that the company was able to achieve. The cars have recently joined the exhibition at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan , and still make regular appearances.

The models:

GM Firebird I: I found some dimensions data in a hungarian book about cars in 1968. I used these to make a 4 view blueprint. During making looked the diameter of wheels rather great but I trusted in the data. It was a mistake.

GM Firebird III: in 1987 I found a side view drawing in a magazin and based on it and photos I could make the drawings for curving the model.

GM XP-500: I had a side view of the car and no more pictures. There was only mentioned that this is an „engineer” variant of Firebird II which is the „designer” variant. So I used the photos of Firebird II to make the necessary drawings. The newly found photos show the front and rear and they are rather different from my idea.

GM Firebird II: there were some photos of the car but no one from the rear. A gentleman who saw the car 1:1 in USA said that my idea of the wings was correct. Later in the internet time it became clear it wasn`t correct.

GM Firebird IV: in 2011 on the page of SMCars.Net (the page don`t exists soon) I found drawings. I detailed it and made cutaways of the interieur to do miniature model. There was built one in 1:64 and one in 1:75 scale. My drawings emerged on the pages of cardesignnews.com newly.

Enjoy the pictures.

01 gm firebird I 01.jpg

02 gm firebird I 02.jpg

03 gm firebird III 01.jpg

04 gm firebird III 02.jpg

05 gm firebird III 03.jpg

06 gm xp 500 01.jpg

07 gm xp 500 02.jpg

08 gm firebird II 01.jpg

09 gm firebird II 02.jpg

10 gm firebird II 03.jpg

11 gm firebird II 04.jpg