Model Cars Magazine Forum

I think the PSM kit is just as ugly.  It’s a no for me.  The taillights and wheels do nothing for it either.

If overhauling tried tried to steal my car and turn it into something like this I’m calling the real police. 😄

BB3081D8-DFC0-4534-BA5A-1F6ED7B734CA.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

14 minutes ago, Bills72sj said:

Not a fan of wheels with no dish. I am ok with creative license in changing the tail lights. But 69 Camaro tail lights on a Ford? Really? 71 Torino tail lights would have been much more appropriate.

I'm with you on the Camaro tail lights.  And the wagon wheels/no profile tires on a muscle car don't make it.  Guess I'm old school not to mention just plain gettin' old.

I find positive-offset wheels to be generally unpleasant, and these are no exception. I salute Chip's drawing and design skills, but this car misses the mark for me. Half of it is the original form of the car; the side graphic makes the rear quarter-panel look disgustingly tall and out of proportion. I googled " '71 Mustang" to try and figure out what was bothering me, and concluded that the car is just awkward to begin with, and really needs some sidewall on the tires and negative offset in the wheels to visually counteract the weight of the car's beltline area and C-pillar.

Honestly, a widebody kit or pushing the rear tires outboard would probably help too. It looks so narrow. It looks like a rollerskate.  I kinda like what he did with the taillights, though.

Aaah, relief:

spacer.pngspacer.png

1 hour ago, Bills72sj said:

Not a fan of wheels with no dish. I am ok with creative license in changing the tail lights. But 69 Camaro tail lights on a Ford? Really? 71 Torino tail lights would have been much more appropriate.

Well the taillights kind of go with the front styling.  Shape of the grille opening and location/size of the fog lamps resemble a 69 Camaro.

Wow, he managed to take a car I really like and kind of mess it up. Something about the front end is wrong, I think it's trying to give it the modern ducted front end look under the bumper and the fog lights. I'm also not feeling the tail lights, as someone else mentioned 70 Torino lights would have been better or even 67-69 Shelby lights. The horizontal stripe is at an odd place too, it should be above and follow the body crease and kick up along the rear fenders. The wheels are also doing UT no favors, I love big wheels but these are just not working. 

I like what he did to the front end. Much cleaner, neater looking. Nothing like the jumbled up mess from the factory. The gills on the side of the grille are a cool touch also. Really like the flush mounted glass! The Camaro tail lights are a shock to the system. But, they work IMO. If people didn’t recognize them, they would probably like them.

I do not like the wheels! Those would have to go! Looks like he was trying to mimic some kind of factory wheel cover or something. Some big inch Magnums would look much better IMO. Stance looks almost stock. Yuck!! I don't like the dual stripes running down the hood, roof and trunk either. Can you say sooo overdone!? Also, I don't like the door handles.

Change the wheels, lower it and get rid of stripes on top would be a big improvement IMO. 

Chip is very talented but I don't' care for most of his designs but I like this one. A little offset in the wheels would look better IMHO.  They look too donk-ish for my liking.

Edited by afx

5 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

I like what he did to the front end. Much cleaner, neater looking. Nothing like the jumbled up mess from the factory. The gills on the side of the grille are a cool touch also. Really like the flush mounted glass! The Camaro tail lights are a shock to the system. But, they work IMO. If people didn’t recognize them, they would probably like them.

I do not like the wheels! Those would have to go! Looks like he was trying to mimic some kind of factory wheel cover or something. Some big inch Magnums would look much better IMO. Stance looks almost stock. Yuck!! I don't like the dual stripes running down the hood, roof and trunk either. Can you say sooo overdone!? Also, I don't like the door handles.

Change the wheels, lower it and get rid of stripes on top would be a big improvement IMO. 

I guess he wanted to design his own wheel.  If I was going to upgrade I would use these.

7A6E9904-0690-499A-BAB5-E7E0ED7396B7.jpeg

Foose’s cars are very predictable, almost an assembly line of the same mods.. tuck in the bumpers, smooth out surfaces, add his wheels..

Of course the wheels are always going to be his signature ones to promote his wheel line.

I can live with the car other than the tail lights. As said, they’re immediately recognizable as Camaro and they are just pasted there. If changing lights you need to find ones that look like they fit and makes you wonder if they were created just for the car, which is totally possible with today’s 3D printing.  Or if a second set of Camaro lights were flipped under the existing ones they’d be hard to identify and may look cool 😎 

10 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Actually,  you hit on the first thing I thought of. If I were to build this, the Lindberg/Palmer kit would be the one I would use.

Finally, a good use for that kit!

You got that right.

First off I'm not a fan of this year model Mustang to start with, even when new I liked them even less than I do now. Now that I've upset all the Ford guys my thoughts on what The Foose has done here. I have always been more of the GM persuasion and think instead of using the Camaro rear panel treatment he could of done far better looking at the Ford parts bin. I do sort of like the paint treatment but he should have made it a little less "busy".  I don't care for the wheels, but then I have never cared for that style on anything anyway. The ride height is actually practical for everyday driving but I agree it would look better a little lower and with it's rump not up in the air so much. Too each his own I guess. 

2 hours ago, espo said:

First off I'm not a fan of this year model Mustang to start with, even when new I liked them even less than I do now. Now that I've upset all the Ford guys my thoughts on what The Foose has done here. I have always been more of the GM persuasion and think instead of using the Camaro rear panel treatment he could of done far better looking at the Ford parts bin. I do sort of like the paint treatment but he should have made it a little less "busy".  I don't care for the wheels, but then I have never cared for that style on anything anyway. The ride height is actually practical for everyday driving but I agree it would look better a little lower and with it's rump not up in the air so much. Too each his own I guess. 

Bunkie Knudsen was a GM guy so there was some styling influence from what I’ve read.  Having owed my 72 Mach1 for almost 40 years it’s grown on me but not sure I’d feel that way about Iacocca’s  Mustang II. 😁  Anyway, Does anyone know what happens to the cars he makes?  Do they end up selling at an auction?  I think I’d rather “invest” in a original 1971 Boss 351 or 429CJ Mustang convertible.  I would not mind seeing some styling exercises in 1/25 from others using the AMT or MPC kits.