Model Cars Magazine Forum

My next project will be a belly tank racer. I will vacuform the body using model board for the plug. I turned  each station to P38 aircraft specs with a .149 hole running down the middle of each one then cut each station 1/2” in thickness resulting in 13 “doughnuts”. Then, I cut them in half and will glue them together to layout on a platen that will have a .149 half rod down the middle for alignment. The photo shows the stations put together laying on an alignment rod unglued and unsanded at this time. I will do the same with the other stations to make two identical halves. I’ll keep updating as I go along whenever my honey loosens the leash.

A829B1DF-49C2-4213-BE32-95EE16D737E7.jpeg

Edited by Rick L

I’ve built models and prototypes professionally for 40 years and couldn’t really build for pleasure during those years until I retired. I don’t have much of a junk yard at this point so maybe we could make some trades.

3 hours ago, Rick L said:

I’ve built models and prototypes professionally for 40 years and couldn’t really build for pleasure during those years until I retired. I don’t have much of a junk yard at this point so maybe we could make some trades.

What engine do you have in mind?

• 1 month later...

Moving right along, I finished my master and made silicone rubber molds to cast solid vacuum form plugs. I formed the halves with .062 thick polystyrene. I will attach a .03 flange all around the top half with MEK and pass them around to friends. The last photo shows a converted master top for my personal use. I’m planning on casting this with a clear .062 PETG sheet in order to mask off the canopy and paint the rest. This will look similar to the 2013 GM belly tank. 

548329D7-3B42-4177-A467-4C69A9242074.jpeg

58583C6A-C725-4B38-988A-CC3CB72A6400.jpeg

31953AB7-F806-48CF-A1E1-EC97ECDAA9BC.jpeg

4F671A19-E626-4E3C-A56F-FC3AFB70CF2F.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting stuff to me.

This is me in the Kelly & Hall belly tank a few years ago at El Mirage Dry Lake, a few miles from my house.

RichardInKellyHallBellyTank_ElMirageSCTA_6-06_2409.jpg.3be88c308df8b62d37c3108542cf2b07.jpg

The 1st race car I ever sat in was Tom Beatty's in the 1950s when I was about 2 years old. This photo was taken by my dad.

TomBeatty-FatEddie_ElMirageSCTA_1960_JackParcellsPic_01.jpg.c43df314a2f31d9f7486a0d94832fc68.jpg

Tom and Fat Eddy at El Mirage. 1st car to break 200mph at El Mirage. Was done using a wrecking yard Olds Rocket engine. He had previously used a Ford flat head that he was the 1st to break 180mph there.

And you were correct to model your belly tank body using a P38 drop tank. That's what Tom's car used for a body. Tom lived 1/4 mile across the rail road tracks from Lockheed Burbank, where P38s were built. Note that the belly of his car does not have a flat spot.

• 5 weeks later...