Model Cars Magazine Forum

#27 Tim Richmond 1985 Old Milwaukee Pontiac

Goodwrench3

Thank you all.  I've never felt mine were up to the level of the work I've seen on this site -- it's quite intimidating.  I'm just happy to have them to look at on the shelf in my family room.  I soooooooooo dearly miss this era of NASCAR racing.

On 3/9/2021 at 3:21 PM, Goodwrench3 said:

Thank you all.  I've never felt mine were up to the level of the work I've seen on this site -- it's quite intimidating.  I'm just happy to have them to look at on the shelf in my family room.  I soooooooooo dearly miss this era of NASCAR racing.

Hello Jeff, that came out beautifully, better than mine (that I din’t Post here) I too can’t measure up to some on here and like you I’m just glad to have them and build them. Also like you I miss what I consider real nascar.

5 minutes ago, ABNSPR said:

Hello Jeff, that came out beautifully, better than mine (that I din’t Post here) I too can’t measure up to some on here and like you I’m just glad to have them and build them. Also like you I miss what I consider real nascar.

Amen to that ...   "real NASCAR".

Once Earnhardt died at Daytona -- it was over for me.  I couldn't watch any more and I haven't watched a single race after that day.

I enjoy building the '80's cars and I always have an '80's race on YouTube on my iPad while building.

Thanks for the post.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Olskoolrodder said:

It turned out really nice! :D Any issues with it?

It's a Salvinos JR kit -- and those are just the old Monogram molds -- with the exception of the tires and glass.

The Salvinos JR chrome is fantastic.  However, for this model I needed the 5-hole wheels, so luckily I have a pretty good "stash" of the old Monogram Ford kits to rob them from.

I like the Salvinos JR tires -- they seem to fill the wheel openings a bit nicer.

The glass I do have concerns with.  This is the second Salvinos JR kit I've built and the front and rear glass just does not have the curvature to match the body opening.  I had to clamp the front windshield against the roof line overnight while the glue dried and hope it wouldn't pop back in the morning.  On my last kit (Bobby Allison Buick), I tried to bend the rear windshield a bit more to get it to conform to the curvature of the body.  Well, I snapped it and had to rob one out of a Monogram kit -- which fit absolutely perfectly.

But all in all, nice kits -- plus they are all molded in WHITE !!

My only other disappointment was that while the kit does include "Powerslide" decals, they are Powerside *art* but they are printed in California --  not by Cartograf in Italy.   You can tell the difference.

Very nice Jeff. I too lost interest in NASCAR but in my case Davey Allisons' tragic death crashing a helicopter he really had no business flying was the slow beginning of the end.  Sure we still watched it for a few years after but the stupid rules changes, points changes and boring races......well you get the idea.

3 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Very nice Jeff. I too lost interest in NASCAR but in my case Davey Allisons' tragic death crashing a helicopter he really had no business flying was the slow beginning of the end.  Sure we still watched it for a few years after but the stupid rules changes, points changes and boring races......well you get the idea.

Yep -- understood 100%.

It was just amazing what the Allison family had to deal with in those times...   Bobby's wreck at Pocono that ended his career.  Davey's death in the helicopter crash.  Clifford's crash at Michigan that took his life.   Wow.

Just now, Goodwrench3 said:

Yep -- understood 100%.

It was just amazing what the Allison family had to deal with in those times...   Bobby's wreck at Pocono that ended his career.  Davey's death in the helicopter crash.  Clifford's crash at Michigan that took his life.   Wow.

So true Jeff.  My wife "loved" Davey so much her and our Daughter drove 5 hours to Alabama for the funeral.

16 hours ago, Goodwrench3 said:

It's a Salvinos JR kit -- and those are just the old Monogram molds -- with the exception of the tires and glass.

The Salvinos JR chrome is fantastic.  However, for this model I needed the 5-hole wheels, so luckily I have a pretty good "stash" of the old Monogram Ford kits to rob them from.

I like the Salvinos JR tires -- they seem to fill the wheel openings a bit nicer.

The glass I do have concerns with.  This is the second Salvinos JR kit I've built and the front and rear glass just does not have the curvature to match the body opening.  I had to clamp the front windshield against the roof line overnight while the glue dried and hope it wouldn't pop back in the morning.  On my last kit (Bobby Allison Buick), I tried to bend the rear windshield a bit more to get it to conform to the curvature of the body.  Well, I snapped it and had to rob one out of a Monogram kit -- which fit absolutely perfectly.

My only other disappointment was that while the kit does include "Powerslide" decals, they are Powerside *art* but they are printed in California --  not by Cartograf in Italy.   You can tell the difference.

Thanks, my friend! :D I've picked up a few Salvinos kits is why I was wondering (I remember building the Monograms back in the day as a pre-teen/teen/young adult) :) 

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2021 at 11:26 AM, Goodwrench3 said:

Oh I know, I'm a (Salvinos JR Models) Builder's Club member, I love what they've been doing 😊👍