Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMC Gremlin

Mike F.

Do not wet sand, you will begin getting to much paint on the body. Get some Castrol Super Clean and soak the body for a day and get back to the bare plastic.I have a GTO that has gone for a soak 3 times...... 

This is one of those kits that take a ton of trial fitting. Fighting with one myself although is has been sent to "shelf for another day"

Thanks for the great advice guys. I did wet sand it, but not too happy with result, so I'll strip it and start over.

As for the foil, it is Bare Metal. Maybe I'll pick up another sheet. It was not overly sticking to the backing and was able to peel off OK, it just would not stick to the paint. Maybe on the shelf too long and lost it's tackiness?

Oh Well, back to the drawing board. I spent a lot of time on the engine (sans brake cylinder) and interior, so want to do it justice.

On 3/8/2021 at 11:45 AM, thomascoffey1959@gmail.com said:

never spray lacquer over enamel. 

Getting back to a previous comment from Thomas Coffey (Now I need a cup), below are the paints that I plan to use.

First time around, I used a black primer, not sure if lacquer or enamel, but based on Thomas's comment, suspect it was enamel.

This time I'll use Testers Grey primer Lacquer, Black Metallic enamel for the top and Tamiya TS-52, which I'm not sure, but think it is a Lacquer, for bottom.

I'm hoping the black enamel goes over the grey primer, with no issues. Any comments and advice would be appreciated.

2028519180_20210520_0805301.jpg.97286485d10ea55eb0cb45b83c2b4aea.jpg

• 1 month later...

I decided my hiatus from this project should end. After some wet sanding, swearing and more wet sanding, I have repainted the upper black metallic.

Going to let it dry and then repaint the green lower half.20210719_121614.jpg.b424a6b89c654188306011f802129fe3.jpg

Edited by Mike F.

Looks good.  I know the frustration....I striped one car I know 3 times due to paint issues.  There has been issues lately with bmf not wanting to stick and I have the same problem with mine.  My bmf looks nice and slick until you pull it off the sheet and then it's all wrinkled up and you can smooth it out.   

Edited by Zippi

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Funny how the paint went on the roof fairly smooth, but over the front fender wells, it has the orange peel effect. Hopefully, a bit of polishing after clear coat will improve it.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while, took a break from the '62 Impala to get back to this Gremlin.

I repainted the green and did some foiling. 

Not too happy with how the body is progressing, but tired of messing with it, so going to move on to decals and then clear coat, after some touch up.

20210818_092019.jpg.802e91c2907dbc46f84df0db14060155.jpg20210818_092118.jpg.2a3ec4e926364ea79340666012ebd54c.jpg20210818_091951.thumb.jpg.7b81d5eef8789ce411ed0cf099d2688e.jpg

21 minutes ago, Smoke Wagon said:

That’s unfortunate about the chrome paint, but it looks like you pulled the BMF of well all things considered. That’s a nice two-tone as well. 

Thanks for the encouragement Riley.

I was fairly successful using an Elmer's glue stick to prep the piece to be chromed, before applying the foil and it seems to work for me.

11 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

I’ve heard that BMF has been a bit less adhesive lately for lots of folks. Your idea with the glue stick is a good one Mike, it worked out great from the looks of it. I dig the shag carpet and actual cloth seats as well. 

Thanks Riley.

I am hoping to spray clear over the entire body. However, since the black is enamel and the green is lacquer, I'm a bit Leery of the result. I'm hoping for some advice from someone here.

Definitely do a spoon test first. It's best to know about possible compatibility issues before painting the body.

Whenever I feel discouraged with the way one of my builds is going, I remind myself of a saying that I came up with years ago: 

"Each kit I build is really only practice for the next one."

I even put it in my signature line.

David G.