Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Dodge D800 Dump

Starting another project. It is a Dodge D800. I was originally going to build a tandem, but it looks like the tandem version of this truck was only available in the foreign market, so I decided to go single axle with a factory 175” wheelbase.

Here is kind of a mock up:

E30263B4-890A-4474-9704-CB5103AE6A10.jpeg.0161da3616467be60446bf1757176ca1.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Very interesting build Brian. Where did you get your Dodge D800 cab?

Thanks Dan! I’m pretty sure that the cab was mastered by our very own Charles Rowley as a W500. Charles said that it looked like his. I picked it up on EBay but am not sure who cast this one. The seller that I bought it from sold a few of these and disappeared. I don’t know if they were casting them or just had a few. I bought it with the intention of making a road tractor out of it since it has the large flares like the 800 series, but I seem to be on a dump truck kick right now, so that is what I settled on.The plan is using the 361engine and transmission out of the Lindberg kit. It is sitting on a modified version of the Lindberg chassis.

On 3/8/2021 at 9:03 AM, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Starting another project. It is a Dodge D800. I was originally going to build a tandem, but it looks like the tandem version of this truck was only available in the foreign market, so I decided to go single axle with a factory 175” wheelbase.

Here is kind of a mock up:

E30263B4-890A-4474-9704-CB5103AE6A10.jpeg.0161da3616467be60446bf1757176ca1.jpeg

Cool project.  I will be following.  Sort of related, my 1:1 '74 Dodge D600 flatbed dump... next generation.

IMG_6192.JPG

15 hours ago, Kromolly said:

Cool project.  I will be following.  Sort of related, my 1:1 '74 Dodge D600 flatbed dump... next generation.

IMG_6192.JPG

Thanks for posting your truck! I would like to build one of these in scale one day myself. The state used to use these with short dump beds on them. That is what I would like to re-create. Unfortunately the only ones a available right now that I know of would take a lot of work to make them look accurate.

You're welcome.  Yes, replicating the Dodge medium duty fenders, hood, running boards and grill would be a challenge.  It's similar to the shape of the medium duty Chevy & GMC of the era, & with some modifications that nose might work if you could find one.

On 3/10/2021 at 3:50 PM, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Thanks, but it won’t compare to the caliber of the one you are building.

Maybe, but you definitely want to build more than one models in the next 3-4 years!  It matters a lot to the equation... and your incredible results give me something to think about... 🤔

On 3/10/2021 at 3:53 PM, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but i tried one, and didn't get the grille right. Can you supply more pics of your front end so I can fix it? Should probably do it outside this thread, cmhjets@outlook.com.

On 3/10/2021 at 12:25 AM, Kromolly said:

IMG_6192.JPG

DSCN0747.JPG

Edited by Repstock

1 hour ago, Repstock said:

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but i tried one, and didn't get the grille right. Can you supply more pics of your front end so I can fix it? Should probably do it outside this thread, cmhjets@outlook.com.

DSCN0747.JPG

Is there any chance that you will cast this one when it’s done? Of course I need a copy of that W series Ford too.😁

2 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Is there any chance that you will cast this one when it’s done? Of course I need a copy of that W series Ford too.😁

Believe it or not, casting is closer than ever. I have a few others to do first. I'll need to fix the Dodge grille first.

Edited by Repstock

I got the 361 together to go in this one. Around here it was common back in the day for carburetors to be replaced to do away with the governers, and of course there was nothing like a good set of Mallery solid core wires to mess up someone’s tv reception as you drove by. I would have went with black wires, but I’ve had this distributor for close to 20 years, so I figured I would use it. The carb came from the parts box.

BE4243DB-EBF9-4CB4-9DAA-B8088EA76F03.jpeg.64138d9e237109edab7aa201a754bb18.jpeg

On 3/11/2021 at 3:01 PM, Repstock said:

DSCN0747.JPG

Yes, I'll get some pics and send.  I'd be interested if you cast this one.

Nice paint job Brian, the color looks pretty close to the original "Turf Green" or "Medium Green" I think.  My old uncle's 1964 Fargo farm truck (Dodge equivalent in Canada) was painted this kind of green, but it's been many years (I was a little kid) so I can't remember exactly which of the two it was.  Good memories...! 😊

Good to see you do another medium-heavy duty Brian. This under represented weight class are always interesting subjects, common as straight trucks with special bodies or local city tractors.  The heavy duty 361 L 700 engine is  perfect for a D 800. Nice to see a factory fresh every once in a while.