Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2021 GMC Crackerbox car hauler.

Where to begin...

Awhile back I did some trading with Jeff for the crackerbox,ย  he had already assembled and painted the cab, along with other main parts. I will blame him for telling me that the recommended chassis was the Titan/Astro. ๐Ÿ˜„ย If you have the double cab crackerbox,ย  then yes. For the single cab...maybe something different. I was definitely outside my comfort zone with this one. I started with a chassis from the parts box, then an engine, then wheels, then ...well you get the picture,ย  pretty much everything came from the parts box.ย  For every step forward, I took two steps back. For a radiator to fit, I had to set the engine back which required new rear motor mounts, and moving various cross members back also. When I had everything tucked under the cab...finally,ย  I thought I was on the home stretch...NOT!ย  ย I found out that the kit is designed to have the air intake where the exhaust is mounted to the cab, and when closed the intake drops into the top of the air filter, which requires the air filter to tuck partway under the cab, which it won't unless you remove the rear spring hanger and grind away part of the cab, hence where the double cab would work better.ย  So I took some creative liberties and switched them around. After modifying the exhaust to dual rear exit,ย  I pieced it together so it all flowed and then made a flange where the part that is glued to the cab restsย when closed. The exhaust would look better if I could have smoothed out the joints, but I was already about 90% finished.ย  Everything on the cab, rear cab mount,ย air tanks, fuel tank, battery box, air cleaner/intake,ย  and exhaust came in the resin kit. Only the mirrors were parts box. Make sure the bumper is completely flush with the cab, and that it is gapped correctly between it and the cab or the cab will not tilt.ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย 

You will never know how happy I am that the trailer went together so easy.ย ย 

The sun cooperated this morning,ย  so here it is.

20210309_094149.jpg

20210309_093954.jpg

20210309_093929.jpg

20210309_093859.jpg

20210309_093830.jpg

20210309_093803.jpg

On 3/14/2021 at 6:04 PM, gotnitro? said:

Fantastic save Sam !ย  You nailed the look w the auto transport trailer.ย ย 

Still love that mica red color on the old gmc !ย 

ย 

I just couldn't make myself change that color,ย  it really looks good on the old girl.

ย 

On 3/14/2021 at 4:10 PM, doorsovdoon said:

Beautiful looking build, I love the transporter together with the load on it. Looks amazing! Man, there are so many nice builds for this years BRBO it's going to be crazy difficult to vote!

Iย  think the whole package came together quite well.

Thanks guys!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...