Model Cars Magazine Forum

65 Impala wagon (pro touring style)

Steve H

Hi all, 

Next up, A Modelhaus resin 65 Impala wagon. I’m going to kit bash it with the Foose 65 Impala kit. ( I will need another one of these as I really like the Foose kit)

If you have seen my builds, you may have guessed it will be low... yup. 
Still gathering bits and planning, so it will be a slow start. The resin kit will supply the body, interior tub, (which will need some mods), glass, and rear bumper. Everything else will be from the Foose kit, or parts stash. I played around a bit with the notion of converting it to a two door, but will likely take the easy route on this one and stay with the 4 doors. Probably Pegasus “T” wheels, which are my wheel of choice for this type of build. Sort of classic, sort of modern at the same time in my opinion. The engine will be a big block, deciding between a BNL resin 454 with modern induction set up, a Ron Olsen LS engine with a similar modern intake, or a good ol 409 with a modern intake, maybe a belt driven turbo. Decisions, decisions....

The body has a slight “twist”, or warp to it. I will try to straighten it, but failing that, it is subtle enough to live with, and I think when glued to chassis it will probably right itself. Any input on straightening would be welcomed. 

As always, any thoughts, comments, input and ideas welcomed. Thanks for having a look.

BD4B7A3B-54FB-4709-803D-C8A3686921C5.thumb.jpeg.824595bf831734b8da032c11f7b5b537.jpeg

DDFEF5D8-C71E-4C3E-94F0-5237B5ED874C.thumb.jpeg.d43d5feca1bec47830576ed4edc80725.jpeg

Cheers, Steve

10 hours ago, Steve H said:

As always, any thoughts, comments, input and ideas welcomed. Thanks for having a look.

DDFEF5D8-C71E-4C3E-94F0-5237B5ED874C.thumb.jpeg.d43d5feca1bec47830576ed4edc80725.jpeg

Cheers, Steve

Well, just since you asked....B)

That B-pillar (the door posts and between them) slants backward at too sharp an angle. If I were building this, I'd have to cut that out and reposition it more correctly. But it's your model, and if you don't see it or it doesn't bother you, by all means, drive on! B)

Makes you wish that Modelhaus was still in business, their kits were always among the best.  Snake 45's comment on the center door pillar is correct for a stock build and that is something you may want to correct or not. You're mentioning a somewhat modified build anyway and this pillar may work perfectly with what your vision for this is, or even a hardtop body style with no pillar at all.  What ever you do keep us posted.  

This will be another great ride Steve! I’ll chime in with Snake regarding the B post as it does appear to be a bit extreme. Here are a couple of photos off the web...

1CB53638-F82D-43A1-98E9-7F7EC00AE935.jpeg.3b03a7663ccf6b993620b7f0377c8050.jpeg

The next one may be of interest to you, while a two door, it does have a great look as a hardtop.

5C1360C3-6079-4B86-8CA8-0C8E7B820537.jpeg.ecac120e448b19da0f228a083c02215e.jpeg

I, like many others, enjoy watching your builds and this one promises to be intriguing! Looking forward to the day when they can be enjoyed in person. Cheers Misha

PS I’m still drooling over your Olds build!

Wow, that B-pillar is way off from the real car. To me removing it looks cool.    The low stance looks cool but I'm one of those not on board with the super low profile tires. Bujt we all have our likes and dislikes and if you like it, go for it.  

At any rate Steve, I know this will be a great looking car.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, espo said:

You're mentioning a somewhat modified build anyway and this pillar may work perfectly with what your vision for this is, or even a hardtop body style with no pillar at all. 

I agree. I think the crooked B pillars provides the perfect opportunity to see what it would look like as a hardtop.

Steve, if you can get the stance exactly as you have it mocked up, it'll be perfect! Talk about nailing it straight out of the box! FYI, the AMT '67 Impala street version has a nice looking TPI BBC in it. Another nice engine is in the street '68 El Camino. 

3 hours ago, Misha said:

This will be another great ride Steve! I’ll chime in with Snake regarding the B post as it does appear to be a bit extreme. Here are a couple of photos off the web...

The next one may be of interest to you, while a two door, it does have a great look as a hardtop.

I, like many others, enjoy watching your builds and this one promises to be intriguing! Looking forward to the day when they can be enjoyed in person. Cheers Misha

Wow awesome...this pink thing really gets some place in my head...

10 hours ago, Misha said:

Hi Misha! Thanks for chiming in sir. I have a screen shot of that exact pink 2 door in my 10 or so reference photos. More “idea” photos than reference I suppose. That was the car that made me think hmmmmm, maybe a 2 door. Still might happen. 

Cheers, Steve

9 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I agree. I think the crooked B pillars provides the perfect opportunity to see what it would look like as a hardtop.

Steve, if you can get the stance exactly as you have it mocked up, it'll be perfect! Talk about nailing it straight out of the box! FYI, the AMT '67 Impala street version has a nice looking TPI BBC in it. Another nice engine is in the street '68 El Camino. 

Hi Roger,  if I do anything with the B pillar, it will be removed. I am starting to lean towards 2 door. For me, I think it would be just as easy to re-scribe a door line as repairing an angled pillar. With it being a custom, I’m too concerned about it being “correct”. I do like the engine in the 68 Elky. Thanks for the input!

Cheers, Steve

18 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

No suggestions from me Steve, I just look forward to seeing your progress on it - I know it's going to look great!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I will try not to disappoint.

13 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Well, just since you asked....B)

That B-pillar (the door posts and between them) slants backward at too sharp an angle. If I were building this, I'd have to cut that out and reposition it more correctly. But it's your model, and if you don't see it or it doesn't bother you, by all means, drive on! B)

Hi Snake, thanks for comments. It always amazes me how knowledgeable the people on this forum are. I don’t think I would have noticed the pillar issue. I appreciate the keen eye. I am leaning towards 2 door hard top....

11 hours ago, espo said:

Makes you wish that Modelhaus was still in business, their kits were always among the best.  Snake 45's comment on the center door pillar is correct for a stock build and that is something you may want to correct or not. You're mentioning a somewhat modified build anyway and this pillar may work perfectly with what your vision for this is, or even a hardtop body style with no pillar at all.  What ever you do keep us posted.  

I was late to discover Modelhaus, I got lucky and bought 5 kits and a bunch of tires just before they retired. I definitely wish they were still available as I really like “different” stuff. Thanks for the input!

11 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Hmm, I think I'd remove the B-pillar altogether; kinda like the notion of a wagon built around a 4-dr. hardtop body.

Well, I think that’s where I’m headed, so stay tuned... but probably 2 door.

10 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Looks fun!  Due to the rarity of the Modelhaus body, I’d keep the configuration of doors, post etc as it is.  

I grabbed one of these at the last Modelhaus sale.  I don’t have an inspiration for mine just yet.

Hi Tom, hopefully you won’t be disappointed if I alter it a bit.... Thanks for checking in.

10 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Wow, that B-pillar is way off from the real car. To me removing it looks cool.    The low stance looks cool but I'm one of those not on board with the super low profile tires. Bujt we all have our likes and dislikes and if you like it, go for it.  

At any rate Steve, I know this will be a great looking car.  Good luck.

Hi Mike, thanks for the comments. I totally get the tire thing. For me, it’s more about getting it down low. 

10 hours ago, matthijsgrit said:

WOW!! I’ve got homework to do! Haven’t looked yet, but after I hit send I’m diving in. Thanks so much for the info, much appreciated. Thanks for following along Matthijs.

8 hours ago, Beamerman said:

Wow awesome...this pink thing really gets some place in my head...

Hi Beamerman, mine is most likely going to be Vedoro green. It won’t be nearly as eye catching, but I think a suitable colour. 

Cheers, Steve

On 3/11/2021 at 4:36 AM, Steve H said:

Excellent choices!! I have all 3 of the shapeways options, and one on the short list is the Edelbrock cross ram. However this one is kinda sexy too..

666DCF95-F15E-4CFF-8EAB-78D05C98A341.png.731f02b54bd7f18faa80fa35b0f78f52.png

Thanks again for the ideas!

I can imagine this one between the rails of of the Chevy! 

On 3/11/2021 at 4:14 AM, FLHCAHZ said:

Really cool project.  Looking forward to your build. 

Thanks Chaz, I am getting caught up in “wagon fever”. There are quite a few wagons being built and I had to join in!

Cheers, Steve

Hi folks, thought I would post a small update. I’m still in planning mode, but had some actual building time today. 

No turning back now, it’s a 2 door hard top!! This is my first time creating new panel lines. I have cut open trunks, and deepened existing lines, but not added new ones. I knew I wanted a decent edge to trim against, not just tape. I’m not sure how others would do this, but here is my approach. 
Used tape to copy outline of the Foose 2 door back edge

7220A87A-3884-420C-BDA5-12F333964B18.thumb.jpeg.3e0a8b3476af17acd53ad00c523b309f.jpeg

Placed that on some sheet aluminum to make a template 

16588839-D058-4614-A9B2-04EC61808355.thumb.jpeg.81fc2988c8df3c55cabd567a8305780e.jpeg

bent it to approximate shape of door

1A2927FA-3CD6-4ED3-8274-041F6B56BFA7.thumb.jpeg.525cfebc3096ad6731c3ec09a75c1c59.jpeg

measured where back edge of door should be, then taped it in place and scribed the new door line

4A97814D-3C42-44B0-86AD-08DE3D65A51A.thumb.jpeg.4e42c724e7595488772812ce73301f34.jpeg

FD194754-B3D7-4B2D-B5D7-D6AEB42E057A.thumb.jpeg.9878d33c00ce22af39508657853835d9.jpeg

It worked pretty good! I then did the mirror image on the other side, I darkened the line here so it is more visible.

6F41CF36-ABA8-478A-998B-A70E47EBC9DF.thumb.jpeg.f17d7db165ecc518ab7461ca851882d3.jpeg

Next was removing the B pillar

DA940A7B-ED5D-4075-9ED2-6A66CC90DECA.thumb.jpeg.d3084116db6b76d4d4ac749938bc69bd.jpeg

I now have a 2 door hard top! I was worried that the distance between the windshield and C pillar would be too large looking, but I actually think it looks really good. A couple of rounds of fill sand prime should take care of the old door lines, and removing the door handles.  Lots of work to do on the interior, hoping to have a somewhat logical plan on how to attack that in the next day or 2. Obviously I will now be using most of the Foose interior pieces, just need to meld it all together. More on that later...

If anyone has a different approach on scribing new door  lines, please share. I have at least 2 more future projects that will require scribing new lines. 
Thanks for having a look. Cheers, Steve

Great looking project so far Steve! Your idea with the aluminum sheet pattern is perfect! Much better than using tape in my opinion. I wish I did that on my 4D Malibu build. I used tape and you have to have a very light touch on the first scribe with tape! Luckily it turned out. 

Something I've noticed on that body is the beltline crease drops too much on the quarter panels. It's especially noticeable in relation to the top of the bumper. 

My method for scribing new lines is much like yours. Except I use .020 styrene and temp glue it to the body. I use the same method to cut straight lines when I cut a body apart.

Great new project Steve!  I love those wagon and I am glad to see that you have decided to make it 2 doors, I think it will be more appropriate for your project.  After your great conversion to the Oldsmobile, I don't see why you couldn't have made this change to the body...!  As for how to draw new panel lines, I use the same method as Roger (Plowboy) with a 0.020" styrene template and it works great.  I will be a supporter of your new project, I love what you do and you always have exciting topics my friend!  😊

9 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Something I've noticed on that body is the beltline crease drops too much on the quarter panels. It's especially noticeable in relation to the top of the bumper. 

My method for scribing new lines is much like yours. Except I use .020 styrene and temp glue it to the body. I use the same method to cut straight lines when I cut a body apart.

8 minutes ago, lordairgtar said:

full?d=0

Something about the side character line bothers me, it seems it slopes downward at a very steep angle when compared to the picture above.

Hmmmmm. You guys are definitely correct. This again is something that I would not have noticed. I need to pay more attention to details!  At any rate, with this being a custom, not a replica, I’m not sure if I will address it. I will do a mock up with bumpers to make sure it has reasonable “flow” and that it doesn’t look too weird. I love the input, it’s very helpful and informative!!

Cheers, Steve