Model Cars Magazine Forum

65 Impala wagon (pro touring style)

Steve H

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

That is a super nice looking interior Steve! I really like the work on the console! I take it you used embossing powder? If so, what brand do you recommend? I'm thinking about trying it on my current project. I've always used baking soda for carpet before. But, it has to be painted.

Hello Roger! Thanks for the kind words sir. For the console I used wood grain decals from “Uschi” that might be spelled incorrectly but if you google im sure you’ll find them. They have lots of cool decals for wood and leather, excellent quality. Yes I used embossing powder. I have a few different brands on hand with “Hampton” being the best. I’m still learning how to use it well. For this application I had a goldish colour that was close but I wanted to paint it to be closer. My limited experience has been that if you paint it after it loses its texture. So…. I laid the powder out in a thin layer in a shallow box and misted it with paint. Not a great technique as the paint tends to clump, it’s actually kind of comical how bad it looked. But after sifting it around, it turned out not bad. I think powder is the best looking flocking, highly recommend it. I’m sure you’ve seen Steven Guthmiller’s interiors, amazing to say the least. 

Cheers, Steve

2 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Steve!

I had an absolutely busy spring, and somehow, I missed on this built... I'm the most sorry for it!

Great project, and your attention to details shows again. Masterfull. I like your "color-coordination" efforts. They are effective in all your cars, and this one will be a magnum opus. The interior is world-class. 

My two cents: the second set of wheels makes it more contemporary than the Pegasus. And the lighter base coat for the green would get my vote. Just MHO. 

Keep on!

CT 

Hi Claude, no apologies necessary sir. I have also had a busy spring and very little time at the desk or on the forum. Thank you for checking in. I always appreciate your opinion sir, as mentioned above, I’m going with black base, however, I have a future project in mind that would likely get the silver base as both look great. Vedoro green is an awesome colour. I am using the second set of wheels in gold, there will be a light coat of smoke on them too to tone the gold a bit.

Cheers, Steve

• 5 weeks later...

Small update, I don’t get much desk time during the summer. I am very inspired by all the amazing builds and talent that is on this forum. 
Thought it was about time to assemble the engine, obviously not complete, but it’s started. The valve covers and intake are body colour, the gold block is approximately what the wheel colour will be. I used a pre-wired distributor, the fuel rails are aluminum tubing. Fuel lines to be added later. Not going to get carried away with details beyond that. The chrome Moroso letters on valve covers were done with a Molotow pen. BMF for top of intake.

741DB3DE-C660-4159-92E3-E3D71529CE3F.thumb.jpeg.2b87a9a0e30fb99c814631a47dc72791.jpeg

EEDF7C65-93DE-4907-935E-8F0B50C520D6.thumb.jpeg.73adf7e1ecfb6ab4997e34fad9de3e04.jpeg
Hope to have the engine complete next week. I spent time sorting out the ride height and painting most of the suspension parts. Nothing particularly photo worthy there. Next up is assembling the wheels and getting the track width dialed in so I can assemble the chassis. Sounds easy enough!

Thanks for having a look.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Steve H said:

I am very inspired by all the amazing builds and talent that is on this forum. 

And it's for that reason right there that this is my go-to forum for knowledge and attaining new skills. Not only that but the vast majority of folks here are very kind and helpful. Looking forward to more progress on this beauty of a build Steve.

3 hours ago, Zippi said:

Pretty nice looking wagon Steve.  The attention to detail is nicely done.  Love the transformation from the 4 door to 2 door.  

Thanks Bob, it’s been slow going on this build, hoping when it’s all done it looks the part. 

2 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

And it's for that reason right there that this is my go-to forum for knowledge and attaining new skills. Not only that but the vast majority of folks here are very kind and helpful. Looking forward to more progress on this beauty of a build Steve.

Hi Joe, I don’t have any comparisons as this is the only forum I’m on, but I couldn’t agree more. This is a wonderful community of extremely talented builders that are always more than happy to share their knowledge. I have learned a lot in the year that I have been a member here. 
Thanks for checking in, for the kind words, and for the reminder of what a great forum this is!!

Cheers, Steve

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Beautiful work! Very interesting b pillar design, I like it! 

Thank you Anton.

4 hours ago, slusher said:

Beautiful detailed interior and clean built engine. 

Hi Carl, I appreciate the kind words, nice hear from you sir. I’m hoping that the 2 door hardtop configuration will show off the interior.

A bit more progress…

Wheels are assembled and painted. They aren’t as dark as they look in the photos, not sure why they look so dark. Tamiya gold followed by 2 light coats of smoke, then a medium coat. Tires are from the spares and have a bit more meat than what came with the wheels.81CD8492-443B-420B-B682-A1221770AAAD.thumb.jpeg.53503aef3cdfad68d49909c362967dad.jpeg

axle needed only minor mods to get the track width right.

20138E57-4517-49CA-AAD2-7A10E1D0CFB0.thumb.jpeg.f5397ba7441b268c3df2c5ec4663c3f8.jpeg

The engine is now almost complete.

E376D35C-E592-47CE-B5BD-F210DCB0121B.thumb.jpeg.3316bc13934c4204cea538716a7b2471.jpeg

C3B72496-E26C-4BA8-B6EC-D6F4F2302886.thumb.jpeg.113c472ee0bd58631f2bce39301c7b2a.jpeg

A0692A64-65C2-4AF0-8863-72A1D76194A9.thumb.jpeg.542a3f7ddfc95304165cfb25ed1e32b2.jpeg

The air cleaners even have the K and N logo! 

I can never resist mock ups, this time with engine in place.

511B76B3-4C32-406D-8CFB-05395AB19BB5.thumb.jpeg.ab14243335c044d76e4c692f918abf68.jpeg

8E99EDA8-E656-4B51-B9BF-CA42F5148664.thumb.jpeg.d20c08cd202e5fe36e305bf91a5a6c4c.jpeg

Good news is that it has the look I was aiming for, including a full engine bay.
The bad news, the engine is wayyyyyy too high, yikes.

458B907B-5006-435F-AEBF-949307314CD0.thumb.jpeg.b4865bd508fd2f830d8764e70efd4fba.jpeg

Since these photos I have played with the motor mounts and have it down a fair bit. I may have to tweak the alternator belt a bit to make sure it’s below the hood. I was hoping to avoid a large hood scoop but… big motor, big hood bulge!! I have a few sizes of cowl hood scoops to play with. 

Thats it for now, thanks for looking.

5C7411CD-961F-48A2-9480-048D9696A931.jpeg

• Like 2

On 8/8/2021 at 8:54 PM, Steve H said:

I was hoping to avoid a large hood scoop but… big motor, big hood bulge!! I have a few sizes of cowl hood scoops to play with. 

I know exactly what you're talking about and I must add that it's hard to get the best of both worlds when you like the car sitting low (the Steve Hayden way)!  A hood scoop is not a bad option when one of your goals is to get the best possible stance for a pro touring car with a big bad engine... 😁  Eye candy!!! 😍

On 8/8/2021 at 5:58 PM, FLHCAHZ said:

Looks great. The detail on the engine is killer.  Looking forward to more on this!

Thank you Chaz, I am motivated to finish this as I have a plan for the next project.

On 8/8/2021 at 6:28 PM, TransAmMike said:

Cool build and great work Steve, git er done!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement Mike, I could use a little push on this one!

On 8/9/2021 at 6:04 AM, stinkybritches said:

Those wheels and tires look great on this car.

Hi Rob, I’m looking forward to seeing the wheels when the body is in colour. In my head, the combination looks great…

On 8/10/2021 at 7:47 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

I know exactly what you're talking about and I must add that it's hard to get the best of both worlds when you like the car sitting low (the Steve Hayden way)!  A hood scoop is not a bad option when one of your goals is to get the best possible stance for a pro touring car with a big bad engine... 😁  Eye candy!!! 😍

Francis !!! How are you my friend? Yes sir, I like low! A hood scoop is a small price to pay for a killer stance… in my world anyway. Realistically, the hood will always be up in the display case. 
Thanks for checking in sir!

Another small update,

Most of the main chassis parts are now assembled. I will do some detail painting but it’s close.
Disc brakes from parts bin modified to fit. Front and rear are different, but once assembled you’ll have to look pretty hard to notice. Body colour on the shocks and calipers.
0CC71C20-19C2-4595-A4B1-E4BC35AFFC02.thumb.jpeg.4dea590961131c2009472ffa353012ac.jpeg

080830E2-A109-4DD7-A4AB-AAC6CA81CBBD.thumb.jpeg.8e93f7ed47e9c0cf831c0eb3233ede3c.jpeg

E13136D8-3B6C-4A53-9DD5-EAA0296B096B.thumb.jpeg.2f5f8430cb2228358b0c2ab8ff1f65bb.jpeg

Quick mock up, wheels and engine not glued in place yet. Hoping the have the wheels, driveshaft, and engine glued up in the next couple of days. 

Hood scoop is bigger than I originally wanted, but a small price to pay for a low stance!! Still some smoothing out to do.

3485A97A-731A-4C43-8291-77752BAFDC01.thumb.jpeg.b4fd47b2732fbc85859f0fc2b44ab06e.jpeg

A couple of issues I’m having with this build: first, the body is warped. Also the windshield cowl vent area was bowed up in the middle by about 2-3 scale inches. I have fixed the bow, but the warp is stubborn. I have used heat and that got a small amount of the twist out of the body. It still has a warp, but with my lack of experience working with resin, I’m leaving well enough alone. I felt that if I tried anymore it might go “pop”. 

second issue, the chassis is warped!! It’s becoming a frustrating build to be honest. All the individual assemblies are coming along ok, but with the various warps I’m not sure how final assembly is going to go. Just one of those builds that wants to fight me… On a positive note,  I do have my next project planned out and that will push me to finish this up. 

Thanks for looking

33C45601-EC0F-4F06-835E-CBF25CB781E1.jpeg