Model Cars Magazine Forum

65 Impala wagon (pro touring style)

Steve H

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Steve!

Well, input is worth nothing if... the right guy is not on the scriber. Well done, fits perfectly !

CT

Hi Claude, much better fit now. Finally starting to get a bit more bench time. Building season is just about here!!

Cheers, Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Well, finally a bit of progress on the wagon…

B24CB556-F5E8-49F1-9F68-08C6BB9487DB.thumb.jpeg.56b66c49dc32a3a4ee3b474ab40e7531.jpeg

she’s green !!!!!!

6683309E-C9B2-475F-A2AB-21CA0FD3E3D0.thumb.jpeg.0f5e0c194d78918b8a66f03be5c71df1.jpeg

First photo without flash, second one with flash. The paint already has some depth,  Clear should really give some nice depth. I’m very happy with the colour choice, hope you guys like it too. Going to let paint cure overnight, hoping to start foiling etc. tomorrow. My goal is to have it cleared, polished and ready for final assembly by end of this week. Weather has turned, work has slowed down, so more bench time ahead!! Thanks for having a look.

Cheers, Steve

4 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Coming along nicely Steve, I like's it!!😀

Hi Mike, thanks for sticking with me, it’s been a while…. Thanks for the kind words, glad you’re liking it.

3 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Steve!

Great looks, and that taller scoop is in good proportion, even if taller than average. Can't wait to see it cleared!

CT 

Thanks Claude, ya, the scoop isn’t too offensive. The wagon is big enough that it doesn’t look ridiculous. My plan originally was a 3” or 6” cowl hood, what’s another 3”. Hope I can deliver on the clear next week!

2 hours ago, chris chabre said:

this may be my favorite build in the section currently...and I have a build started in this section haha

Wow! Thank you very much Chris. I will try to bring this one to completion soon. I’m generally happy with it, but it’s time time finish it and get on with the next one! 

Cheers, Steve

On 10/6/2021 at 8:58 AM, Plowboy said:

That is going to be wicked cool Steve! Love the colors you used! Can't wait to see it finished!

Hello Roger! I appreciate the compliment on colours sir. One of the many things I really like about your builds is your choice of colour combinations, always spot on. So thank you, I am really pleased with the colours. Foiling is almost on schedule…

Cheers, Steve

On 10/6/2021 at 9:30 AM, rickcaps55 said:

Body work came out perfect and that color is a great color awesome.!!

Hi Richard, the bodywork is quite perfect, but I very much appreciate the compliment. I think the colour really suits the build. Thanks 

On 10/6/2021 at 10:09 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

I love the color Steve!  Another superb low rider of yours in the making.  The hood scoop is a nice addition by the way, sometime we have to make a few concessions and this one becomes a must in my book!!! 👌

Francis! Hello sir, I’ve been silently stalking your absolutely amazing build, your talents are just incredible. Can’t tell you how much it means to have someone as talented as yourself check in. Thanks so much, nice to hear from you.

Cheers, Steve

On 10/6/2021 at 9:57 PM, slusher said:

Excellent color choice!

Hi Carl, great to hear from you! Hoping to wrap this one up soon, it’s been too long.

Hi guys, close to being on schedule this week. 

Foiling is complete. As this is a custom, I put my own spin on how much chrome and where. I wanted some chrome, but not too much. Not my best foil job, hoping the clear will help. 
D5D0CBC1-5602-4515-9180-80AE019981FA.thumb.jpeg.d6d14320103c3354cfa7e64db49d14bc.jpeg

C42245C6-F1F9-44F9-958A-E19DD1617856.thumb.jpeg.c73d5a66c99104755c839b1fded9189c.jpeg

I used Impala decals for a subtle hit of colour. Molotow pen used for chrome tail light bezels.

I played with lots of ideas for modified rear fascia above bumper. In the end decided on body colour, framed with foil trim, and a Chevrolet decal. This was a tricky piece of foiling! I’m happy with how it turned out. This photo is after 2 coats of clear, I will do one or 2 more.
11471055-4A6C-464C-AA71-4474D8B2B852.thumb.jpeg.f6e684b39ca32e9be6a2f43f604390c1.jpeg

A9C7E0A2-7AB9-4789-970F-DA3DDC2ECB9B.thumb.jpeg.4c373716bc3090d1776f0d66608d8534.jpeg

And… started getting clear on some parts. So front bumper, rear facia and hood all have 2-3 coats.

869E21E8-9DAA-40C3-88A8-D8EBB5D1B95C.thumb.jpeg.fa9e5d7c5ba32383a6ab4c2dd70a1ac2.jpeg

86D8A58B-CF41-49C9-8F6C-447E559BE65C.thumb.jpeg.764d8170908d351ec5cc4fd90680c818.jpeg

The clear really makes the colour pop!! Side by side with, and without clear. After another coat and some polishing, should look killer. Hoping all clear will be done tomorrow, I’ll let it cure a day or 2, then polish.

Thanks for looking!

I see what you mean about the color change with the clear coats. The hint of small chrome trim around the windows makes them stand out without being the focus. Are you considering the wheel well opening moldings or just let that go ? 

Looks good Steve. The color look great on the hood with the clear on it.  The trim peice between the rear bumper and tailgate looks excellent.

Hope that Molotow ink doesn't bleed out into your clearcoat though. 

I've been thinking about that engine height. I think if you had taken some height from the intake manifold so the intake plenum sat down lower, you could have gotten away with a lower scoop or possibly no scoop at all. But you know what they say about hindsight. 😉

22 hours ago, espo said:

I see what you mean about the color change with the clear coats. The hint of small chrome trim around the windows makes them stand out without being the focus. Are you considering the wheel well opening moldings or just let that go ? 

Hi David, always good to hear from you. With the chrome, I just didn’t want it to look too “heavy”, but the chrome looks great with the deep green paint. I went back and forth on that, in the end I wish I had sanded the moulding off… No chrome around the wheel wells.

21 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Wow Steve, the paint looks grrrr8!!👍

Thanks Mike! Got the body done yesterday, it looks really good. 

15 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Looks good Steve. The color look great on the hood with the clear on it.  The trim peice between the rear bumper and tailgate looks excellent.

Hope that Molotow ink doesn't bleed out into your clearcoat though. 

I've been thinking about that engine height. I think if you had taken some height from the intake manifold so the intake plenum sat down lower, you could have gotten away with a lower scoop or possibly no scoop at all. But you know what they say about hindsight. 😉

Hi Steve, thanks for the input, much appreciated sir. Thankfully the ink did not bleed, it was fully dry, and the first two coats of clear were light. It did lose a bit of the shine, which I thought might happen. I may give it another coat with the pen. Good thoughts on the engine height. I probably could have gotten away with the lower cowl scoop that way, but then the engine might have looked less “impressive”.  Hindsight… man it would be nice to have that at the beginning of build!! Haha 😂 

14 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

The colors look fantastic as does the paint work. Looking forward to seeing more!

Hello Chaz, thanks for the encouragement, I’m trying to get this one to the finish line. I’m starting to run out of parts to add, so that’s a good sign.

Cheers, Steve

Hi fellas, managed some desk time this afternoon and got it polished. 3200 thru to 12000 polishing clothes, then Novus 2, then Adams  wax. Generally pleased with the result, it was a new clear for me (“Touchup Paint” clear acrylic lacquer) same type of paint used for colour on body. The bad news… the body work on the doors ghosted thru. I need someone with better paint knowledge than I to explain this phenomenon. I’m not going to pretend to anyone that I think my body work skills are perfect but, how can the a flaw hide thru several coats of primer, a base coat of black and several colour coats, only to rear its head when cleared? Any input on this is welcomed. The front grill and rear panel are not glued on yet, just nestled in place for a photo.

0DB6E1BC-D071-45FD-BB00-C84D15390334.thumb.jpeg.2416850542d9e01b5915ea7138f852e4.jpeg

89BB2114-5593-449B-B2B8-6247C467448D.thumb.jpeg.343485b3e31251cdc3f666b99147e319.jpeg

The flash gave the illusion of working headlights here, not planned…

8060411C-A393-45CC-9A8D-F668CDA612CE.thumb.jpeg.6c04ef58db63a42f7e78386e16006601.jpeg

Cheers, Steve

17 hours ago, Steve H said:

Hi fellas, managed some desk time this afternoon and got it polished. 3200 thru to 12000 polishing clothes, then Novus 2, then Adams  wax. Generally pleased with the result, it was a new clear for me (“Touchup Paint” clear acrylic lacquer) same type of paint used for colour on body. The bad news… the body work on the doors ghosted thru. I need someone with better paint knowledge than I to explain this phenomenon. I’m not going to pretend to anyone that I think my body work skills are perfect but, how can the a flaw hide thru several coats of primer, a base coat of black and several colour coats, only to rear its head when cleared? Any input on this is welcomed. The front grill and rear panel are not glued on yet, just nestled in place for a photo.

0DB6E1BC-D071-45FD-BB00-C84D15390334.thumb.jpeg.2416850542d9e01b5915ea7138f852e4.jpeg

89BB2114-5593-449B-B2B8-6247C467448D.thumb.jpeg.343485b3e31251cdc3f666b99147e319.jpeg

The flash gave the illusion of working headlights here, not planned…

8060411C-A393-45CC-9A8D-F668CDA612CE.thumb.jpeg.6c04ef58db63a42f7e78386e16006601.jpeg

Cheers, Steve

Your work looks excellent so far, as do your colour choices.

If your paint is lacquer based, the solvents on each successive coat are what chemically binds one coat (primer/colour/clear) to the next. You can normally dust lacquer primer on, and apply thin coats of lacquer colour over bodywork, but if the clear goes on relatively wet that melting action of the solvent in your clear can reach down and activate previous coats, disturbing everything down to the filler (especially if you used something that is also solvent based for filler). In the case of your resin body, at least it won't etch the body itself, like it could over styrene. 

DA940A7B-ED5D-4075-9ED2-6A66CC90DECA.jpeg

^^ the caption for this photo doesn't get into what type of filler you used, but if it emits a solvent smell when curing and shrinks after application, there is a good chance it is solvent-based, and could be affected by solvents in lacquer overcoats if they don't have enough time to gas out. 

I can't tell from your photos, but hopefully the ghosting is something that another thin coat of clear (after ample cure time for what has been sprayed already) will cover.