Model Cars Magazine Forum

65 Impala wagon (pro touring style)

Steve H

On 4/14/2021 at 8:12 PM, Watertown said:

Steve,

Absolutely loving what you're doing here. The work is outstanding, and I love the concept. As I looked at the profile of what you have so far, I wondered what it might look like with the 'B' pillar moved a few inches forward and canted slightly more forward, so opened up P-Shop and did a little playing around. (Just added a second image toying with the B-pillar widened with some 55-56 BelAir-inspired vents. Just food for thought/consideration. Whatever direction you go, I know the finished result will be outstanding. Enjoying the ride...

ImpalaWgnAdjB-pillar.png

ImpalaWgnAdjB-pillar2.jpg

Late to the game here, but from a 1:1 functional standpoint, moving the pillar forward or making it wider makes sense. There is limited space in the body for the window to roll down before it hits the wheel well. Making the glass area somewhat smaller (maybe not to the extent of my Home Boy's Photoshops) would make it possible for the glass to roll down flush out of sight. Good luck with the build! I love wagons.

On 8/17/2021 at 6:21 PM, FLHCAHZ said:

Looking good. Can’t wait to see this come together 

On 8/18/2021 at 12:18 AM, Mattilacken said:

To bad about the deformations! But hang in there you will manage to work them out! Everything looks beautiful never the less! 

On 8/19/2021 at 5:32 PM, Slotto said:

Great job on the wagon so far. Love that interior!

Thanks for the encouragement guys, much appreciated. 

On 8/19/2021 at 5:48 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Steve!

Forget my "warped" sense of curiosity, but... Whats will this next project be? Just curious...

CT 

Hi Claude! 
Thanks for your curiosity sir. Keep your eye on the WIP section, hoping to start something next week. It will be a simple lesson tho, slammer with no engine or interior. However, I think it will be eye catching… and a bit sisnister.

Cheers, Steve

3 minutes ago, Steve H said:

Hi Claude! 
Thanks for your curiosity sir. Keep your eye on the WIP section, hoping to start something next week. It will be a simple lesson tho, slammer with no engine or interior. However, I think it will be eye catching… and a bit sisnister.

Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve!

I'll be watching, tnen. I would not miss it for all the money in the world!

CT

On 8/19/2021 at 5:57 PM, Rodent said:

Late to the game here, but from a 1:1 functional standpoint, moving the pillar forward or making it wider makes sense. There is limited space in the body for the window to roll down before it hits the wheel well. Making the glass area somewhat smaller (maybe not to the extent of my Home Boy's Photoshops) would make it possible for the glass to roll down flush out of sight. Good luck with the build! I love wagons.

Hi Steve, thank you for the insight. I must say once again, the wealth of knowledge on this forum is outstanding. To be honest, I didn’t give the 1:1 aspect of window functioning a thought… oops. However, this beast has fought me hard enough, the pillar stays as is. I do sincerely appreciate the input!

11 hours ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

Love the wagon Steve, great job and you nailed the stance !

Sorry I've only just seen this I would have commented sooner...

Hi Martin, Great to hear from you! You haven’t missed much, it’s been a slow go. I don’t get much desk time in the spring and summer. She’s coming together finally, looking forward to being done and on to the next…

Thanks for checking in.

Hi guys, managed to get some desk time today. Still a smallish update, but progress nonetheless!

Interior is now complete. I’m actually quite happy with how this turned out. The interior will likely be the best part of this build, more on that later….. I was trying to replicate a wood shifter knob to match the console, didn’t turn out as good as I hoped but not terrible either.

BE5505C5-4183-42AA-BD80-45DFB640B586.thumb.jpeg.80879afcd677b331f650f36d25d07ee2.jpeg

5FFBCCE7-749D-4025-A1BF-426EA9283925.thumb.jpeg.d445fc0479cc783c9b259496281c993f.jpeg

FC83EFEE-48DE-41F6-B325-E596A323B01D.thumb.jpeg.ea9cbb4c31480d844967a63a790c8174.jpeg

50FB7B4E-3471-4A9B-A5DE-E881876360FB.thumb.jpeg.4607695ad43cbf7025d1ff5c3c8e5bad.jpeg

I may still add rear seat belts.

Chassis is pretty close to finished too. Engine and wheels are now permanently attached.

ED61A6B0-C2BC-4E10-BAFD-8E1FCC6CBB61.thumb.jpeg.6bdabcb6f87c69a00f961d050cd73a7f.jpeg

The scoop is attached to hood and just needs a little finesse to be complete. Bigger than I intended, but it will add to the wagons attitude.

79B6DB47-157D-4C15-936D-209AFE973D7A.thumb.jpeg.ab331fe9dc511762f301d0594e1bc628.jpeg

And then… more drama….

I’ve been kitbashing for close to 40 years now, generally each one is better than the last. Usually my planning is decent, not great, but decent. There is almost always little issues that I didn’t see coming, generally, easy fixes. This darn thing keeps tossing me curve balls, I have only shared a handful of the many curves. 
Here’s the latest. The kit supplied rear bumper is about 3 1/2 scale inches too wide, the Foote kit bumper is about 2 scale inches too narrow!!!

2574BB02-F6D4-4AEB-AFAA-4B3A0D3BE94A.thumb.jpeg.82a1097b1e32435849ca1a527d2a321a.jpeg

87A247BF-8F8B-4712-A59D-3D8AB53E0489.thumb.jpeg.9dc2dbeb0fd0cfb13cd8217cd7f509b5.jpeg

Side by side you can see the difference. Wayyyyy more than just a 1:24 or 1:25 scale difference. The really odd thing is that the front grill and bumper from the Foose kit fit like a glove. Thank god, or the project might be back in the box! I haven’t decided on a fix yet, but it might be cutting the long one to suit and painting it. If anyone has ideas, bring em on. Here’s how they line up on the body.

0E9408DE-4067-41D6-809C-E30DC3C3C54D.thumb.jpeg.0b731e00917d9c05ebe0e21bcfb0e468.jpeg

BE881CDA-D9A1-4C16-AC4C-031AB84CE4D8.thumb.jpeg.61a64f6a66a8e9d32551105849b49a7a.jpeg

It was laugh or cry…I laughed. 
I also spent some time on body clean up and fitting the glass, no surprises there yet.
That’s where I’m at now. Next step will be figure out the bumper issue, then final body prep.

As always, thanks for checking in, comments always welcome.

16 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Isn’t that a Modelhaus kit? Didn’t it come with a rear bumper?

Yes sir! That wide one came with the body. My first 2 Modelhaus kits were really well done, this one is a bit “off”.

23 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Isn’t that a Modelhaus kit? Didn’t it come with a rear bumper?

Hi again Tom, first, I do love your always changing avatar image. The current one makes me smile. Thanks for chiming in, I appreciate it sir.

7 hours ago, Steve H said:

Yes sir! That wide one came with the body. My first 2 Modelhaus kits were really well done, this one is a bit “off”.

I went digging and pulled out mine. I had never even unwrapped it when I bought it. Darn! My rear bumper looks just like yours.. too wide! The pity is that is so nicely chromed!

I will bet that it’s the same fit on the original annual.  The only way I can figure to fix it would be to separate it into three pieces, right at the seams of the end caps. Remove a bit of material from either end of the center piece.

Thanks about the avatar.. when I see something interesting I just use it!

Edited by Tom Geiger

2 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I went digging and pulled out mine. I had never even unwrapped it when I bought it. Darn! My rear bumper looks just like yours.. too wide! The pity is that is so nicely chromed!

I will bet that it’s the same fit on the original annual.  The only way I can figure to fix it would be to separate it into three pieces, right at the seams of the end caps. Remove a bit of material from either end of the center piece.

Thanks about the avatar.. when I see something interesting I just use it!

I know! The Chrome is well done, it’s a real bummer. Curious if your body has a twist in it? When I place mine on a flat surface, it has about 2 scale inches of twist diagonally front to back. Just curious. I think you have the right idea for the fix, removing from the middle won’t work with the license plate recess.

Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve!

Magnificient interior, bravo!

To your bumper problem... I'm thinkink aloud here, but... Could you do a mashup of the narrower bumper's upper section (it might match the rear panel width...) with the wider bumper lower section) ? I bet the seam would be barely noticeable, if you take a sharp Tamya panel scriber blade. And the two bumpers must have mostly the same profiles, only in different "scales".

Then again, I'm judging just from your pictures, but you be the judge. This way, you would still enjoy the OEM chrome on both parts, and you could even move the lower section further forward, making for a cleaner contemporary look. 

Just my two cents, for what it's worth...

Good luck!

CT 

On 8/24/2021 at 5:45 PM, BDSchindler said:

The whole thing is beyond great but that interior, looks like a real car!!!  Great job!

Hello Brian, Thank you very much sir! 

16 hours ago, oldnslow said:

Fantastic work , Steve , need some belts for the rear passengers though . 😎

Hi Robert, well, I told myself “if no one calls me out about the rear seat belts, I’ll leave well enough alone”. Darn you! I guess I’m adding seat belts! Oh, and thanks for the compliment too.

Cheers, Steve

11 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Steve!

Magnificient interior, bravo!

To your bumper problem... I'm thinkink aloud here, but... Could you do a mashup of the narrower bumper's upper section (it might match the rear panel width...) with the wider bumper lower section) ? I bet the seam would be barely noticeable, if you take a sharp Tamya panel scriber blade. And the two bumpers must have mostly the same profiles, only in different "scales".

Then again, I'm judging just from your pictures, but you be the judge. This way, you would still enjoy the OEM chrome on both parts, and you could even move the lower section further forward, making for a cleaner contemporary look. 

Just my two cents, for what it's worth...

Good luck!

CT 

Haha!! That’s why I love this forum!

You’re close, very close. With your words of wisdom and experience in mind, I sat at the desk and in a matter of a minute or two I have the fix…I think. My first mistake was trying to figure out a fix with one bumper. So it turns out that the narrow (Foose) bumper is very close to the correct width, but the panel above is too narrow. So… I will separate the upper panel from both bumpers, shorten the Modelhaus one and reattach. For me, I think it will be easier to shorten one then add, I might re-evaluate that once pieces are separated and add to the Foose piece. The bonus here is that I was considering doing that panel either body colour or perhaps in carbon fibre, so that will be easy now!

Man, I love this forum. 
Claude, thanks for having me look at the problem in a different light. The solution was staring me in the face! Many thanks, and as always thank you for following along. Your 2 cents are worth a lot!!
Also playing a bit more with the 300c mock ups, going to try for a WIP start this weekend.

Cheers, Steve

7 hours ago, Steve H said:

Haha!! That’s why I love this forum!

You’re close, very close. With your words of wisdom and experience in mind, I sat at the desk and in a matter of a minute or two I have the fix…I think. My first mistake was trying to figure out a fix with one bumper. So it turns out that the narrow (Foose) bumper is very close to the correct width, but the panel above is too narrow. So… I will separate the upper panel from both bumpers, shorten the Modelhaus one and reattach. For me, I think it will be easier to shorten one then add, I might re-evaluate that once pieces are separated and add to the Foose piece. The bonus here is that I was considering doing that panel either body colour or perhaps in carbon fibre, so that will be easy now!

Man, I love this forum. 
Claude, thanks for having me look at the problem in a different light. The solution was staring me in the face! Many thanks, and as always thank you for following along. Your 2 cents are worth a lot!!
Also playing a bit more with the 300c mock ups, going to try for a WIP start this weekend.

Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve!

That is why we old folks are often of the opinion that "sleeping on it" for a few hours brings a new perspective. What some see as "stillness" is indeed... reflection!

I'll follow your adventures with the multi-part bumper. Keep on! 

And about this 300C: I look forward for your unique take on this classic: should be captivating!

CT 

Hi guys. Well, I procrastinated just long enough for my new scribing tool to arrive! Big thanks to Luke (“Cool Hand”) for sharing the info on the tool. 
Time to fix up the rear bumper. First, separate bumper and upper panel from the Foose kit…using my new scriber!!

1397AF5A-8CA4-4FB9-AAE4-90179CECE00D.thumb.jpeg.82a06a93b3f3423a9d1a0db85ea71e26.jpeg

Ha! Easy peasy. The Foose bumper is a near perfect fit, a tick narrow, but that should give a nice “tucked in” look. Next, separate the same pieces from the Modelhaus unit and remove 3 1/2 scale inches from middle.

6E67E0A9-957B-4E9F-9893-A66BDF0E2AC1.thumb.jpeg.7ad726d1df586ede6d58390403040040.jpeg

Re-assemble…

27CF672D-8E62-4E93-B40D-41EC4BA8B020.thumb.jpeg.b20fff1879159d209ed455f668f70b0a.jpeg

After some sanding and fiddling it’s a perfect fit.

69C7D269-0013-4890-98CE-6F1EAB3AB88D.thumb.jpeg.1861cc0d6cbdf324a520c392d38a2ac4.jpeg
The panel above the bumper will get cleaned up, primed, and painted. Right now I’m thinking it will be carbon fibre with thin BMF around the raised outer edges. Once I get it primed I will make a final decision on that.

Thanks again to Luke. The scribing tool works really well, I would recommend it to anyone. I suck at posting links, but the info is on his ‘63 Nova Ute WIP thread. I’ve used the back of #11 blades and some other scribes, this definitely worked better. I did have to order it from Luke’s country waaaaayyyyyy across the pond in Australia, but it arrived within a 2-3 weeks. Worth the wait!

Thanks for lookin, as always comments welcomed.

Cheers, Steve