Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Nova SS

ModelcarJR

I started this build with a kit I bought years ago when they were on clearance, I think in the mid to late 90s. I built this kit before (see Panther Pink build in first photo) but it had big and little tires and wheels with "cheater slicks". But this kit from the much-maligned ERTL period for AMT, only has the skinny tires with big wheels that would be loosely defined "Pro Touring" not "Pro Street" as the instructions label. Plus I wanted to use s standard hood and engine without cutting out the hood and building the high-rise manifold with velocity stacks but there are no alternate engine pieces as depicted on the box with a closed solid hood. 

But then I remembered that I had a kit that I bought in 1990 that cost $8.99. I think that was the normal retail price at the time. its a complete nova SS kit with 327 engine, stock chassis, a set of Cragar mags as well as stock wheel covers.  I can keep the hood intact and add additonal chrome trim. So I am going to build this one stock. I already have a Pro Street version so why not a stock version. Not sure on the color yet but there is a little body prep to do initially, mold lines in the front fenders, the trunk and of course, at the base of the the "B" pillar. I am sanding off the Super Sport script as it is too faint and small to do anything with. I have ordered some Keith Marks decals for this and other decals and I'll be able to use them with other Novas as well. So here we go!  Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

3 hours ago, espo said:

Since you are thinking of building this as a stock Nova SS remember the optional 327 cu in 350 hp engine option. With a 4 speed these were a real terror on the street way back when. 

The L-79 was such a killer ! Look that the success which 'Grumpy' Jenkins had with his A/Stock '66 L-79 -- beat the snot out of bigger-displacement cars in the Stock class .

Have fun with your new build , @ModelcarJR! I have at least one of the Jenkins' kit in my stash . I'm thinking of a mini-diorama of the 1963 Nova Wagon with the engine stand / short block from the '66 Nova ( since the '63 has a detailed engine compartment , but is sans radiator and the such -- got my work cutout for me there ! ) .

Those wheels in the c.2004 Rides edition resemble Motor Wheels Spyders...  not bad looking .

Thanks, Greg, David and John! I appreciate your comments! 

Got the painting done today - nice day to paint. I used Testors Italian Red and I'll be going with a standard black interior. Paint turned out pretty well. I'll rub it out tomorrow and then get on to foil! Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance 

Thanks, Chaz, Carl and D! I appreciate your comments! 

Finished rubbing out the body today and have the first few pieces of foil in place. I had to repaint the right side early as I guess I didn't get enough paint on it.  Good to go now. Thanks for looking! 

enhance

enhance

Thanks, Guido! 

Finished the engine bay and engine but it took a while to get here. I had put the doghouse together last night and let the CA glue dry overnight. I wired the engine and assembled it this morning. Then while mounting the engine the front of both inner fender liners came loose from the frame. While trying to glue them back down I knocked off the fan and oil filler tube. In addtion, while holding the fender liners in place, the firewall came loose resulting in all three pieces on the desk along with the engine that popped out along with a loose starter! I had to start all over! 

So I scraped the glue off the bottom of the inner fender liners and firewall. Re-installed, the firewall,  re-glued the starter on and re-installed the engine. Next I re-installed each inner fender liner one at a time using 5-finger clamps to hold the fender liner in vertically and horizontally. Last were the oil filler tube and fan. The air cleaner is attached with Handy-tak. I touched up all the glue joints with black paint. So everything is re-attached and I hope ready for the next steps. Looks good in the body! Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

Thanks, Carl! I appreciate your comment! 

I finished the engine bay and the chassis. I can only describe the tailpipes as one of the worst assemblies I have encountered and the platform is a bit warped as well. I used a hot water treatment while bending the chassis and it seemed to help but it didn't resolve the issue altogether.  I couldn't get the hood to shut so I cut the carb in half and now it shuts with the air cleaner on. The bottom half of the carb is on the index card in the first picture. I found some F60-15 Goodyear pad printed tires in another kit to go with the mag wheels.  I will get the interior together tomorrow so I can move to final assembly.  I have mocked it up with the body and it looks pretty good. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

Its finished except for decals that are on their way. I decided not to add the chrome rockers because it such a small car, it might look too gaudy with the rockers and I don't want to ruin the paint. I don't think they will stay on with white glue, although I did use the white glue on the rear panel. I'll post some photos in Under Glass once I apply the decals for the hood, tail panel, and Super Sport script and side badge. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance