Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's the Difference Between These Two Clears

They might well be exactly the same thing--the Testor one for the racks that have only Testor, not Model Master. Or the Testor one might be replacing the MM. 

I used this MM lacquer on a build recently. It performed okay--jut barely--but I wasn't impressed with it. I've learned to prefer a $4 can of Rustoleum High Lustre Clear Lacquer from Walmart. BTW, the $4 can is 11 oz vs 3 oz for the Testor stuff. No competition, AFAIC. 

5 hours ago, Steamboat said:

Personally I would toss them both and use either Tamiya clear lacquer or Model Master clear enamel. 

The last model I painted with Testors lacquer took me about 12 hours to polish out the orange peel!

Be aware that the Testors clear enamel will yellow very quickly over light colors.

I use the clear lacquers on small parts, but never on bodies any more.

Had too many problems with them.

But I only use the enamel when the severe yellowing is either not an issue, or is desired, like when I sprayed it over this Pontiac transparent steering wheel to achieve the aged look that I wanted.

image.jpeg.e629f37426259ffac84ec949998273ae.jpeg

image.jpeg.55caa0c9abf5d296d3bcff6701a2cb1a.jpeg

Steve

Hi!

For some reason, the one in the blue can is VERY smelly. I understand that's because it is HOTTER than the Wet Look clear. It certainly is less viscous, and in my experience, can almost "attack" the underlying color coat. I only use it as an "intercoat clear" if needed to seal graphics before more sanding and color/top coat application. An very lightly at that... 

The one in the black can was more akin to the Wet Look clear, in my experience. Got a decent finish with it (medium-wet coat), and it polished well 48 hours later. Hope it helps...

CT