Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you screw-up today??

While I screwed up the Impala paint job and  wet sand,  I had been distracting myself with a scrap parts build of an early jalopy, there is no plan, it'll go where it will, so I CAN'T screw THAT up. The last monstrosity created this way is a hot rod fiat topalino(?) with vw fenders,34 ford flat head, and mg wheels n tires. Truly an ugly little troll. pics coming soon ?

I didn’t venture into the model room today, but still in the game!  I’m working on adding shelves to my main display case. I got all the shelf peg holes done, cleaned up and polished all the glass. Now I’m working on a poster background to cover the rear mirrors. Marginal results so far

OK, I hate to admit this but this morning I made what I think is the dumbest thing I ever did while working on a model. I was working on the doors of the AMT 1/16 T Bird I am building. At the same time I have The Magnificent Seven (1960) on the tv. I somehow managed to put the left side interior panel on the right side door. Same error on the other side. Then when I went to install them into the body I noticed the door handle was in the wrong place. DOH ! How did I do that ? Funny thing is they fit pretty good the wrong way. To make matters worse when I was fixing my screw up I managed to get some glue on the door. Out of that color paint, polishing did not help much . So I will live with it I guess.  Message to self.... don't watch a good old western while building a model.

Started assembling a 3D printed LSX engine, all was going well till I realized I had installed the cylinder heads too low and the intake manifold had massive gaps on either side! O well chalk it up to a learning curve while dealing with 3D prints, no alignment pins to guide for positive placement means more time will need to be done dry fitting. 
luckily it came apart without damage so I get to start over. 

6A3167ED-142A-47FA-812E-CC68D242BFF2.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Bullybeef said:

Started assembling a 3D printed LSX engine, all was going well till I realized I had installed the cylinder heads too low and the intake manifold had massive gaps on either side! O well chalk it up to a learning curve while dealing with 3D prints, no alignment pins to guide for positive placement means more time will need to be done dry fitting. 
luckily it came apart without damage so I get to start over. 

6A3167ED-142A-47FA-812E-CC68D242BFF2.jpeg

Iceman print? 

Well today I noticed that I glued the cab support upside down in the frame of the LNT8000 snow plow I'm working on. I had assembled it all last weekend. Not only did I glue it well with Tamiya liquid cement I glued it a second time! DOH! 

Not sure what I'm going to do, it's rock solid in there.

image.jpeg

Today was my day to "unscrew up" a couple of Royally screwed up paint jobs that I ended up stripping and redoing.  Got paint on one tonight and I'm happy.  Got the other one primed and body work done.  Well, I did get a little dust in the paint job so there's the screw up.  Still happy though, much better than the screwed up messes I had.

On 3/21/2021 at 10:41 PM, Kromolly said:

Today was my day to "unscrew up" a couple of Royally screwed up paint jobs that I ended up stripping and redoing.  Got paint on one tonight and I'm happy.  Got the other one primed and body work done.  Well, I did get a little dust in the paint job so there's the screw up.  Still happy though, much better than the screwed up messes I had.

Congrats Roy! ... It’s a good feeling to see satisfying results after being disappointed and refusing to give up. Even when no one else knows what it took. Here’s to a feather in your hat and another experience wiser ... well hopefully, right?👍

Edited by Venom

26 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Hope ya didn't lose too much of it Kyle. If it's Model Master probably won't be available before too long. I've had mine for years since it doesn't get used much.

It was the little testor's bottle. Only lost about a third of it. At the rate I use it, it will probably go bad before I use it up.

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

Hope ya didn't lose too much of it Kyle. If it's Model Master probably won't be available before too long. I've had mine for years since it doesn't get used much.

Testor now has it in the little bottles in their regular line.