Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you screw-up today??

12 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

So what is it that went wrong Frank? Just looks like flat blue waiting for clear.

3 hours ago, Zippi said:

Like Mike said.....looks like an acrylic paint that all spray out flat.  Hit it with some clear/gloss of your choice and see how it looks. 

I totally agree!

On 5/11/2021 at 4:22 PM, TransAmMike said:

Had a similar thing yesterday.  Did my first Detail Master photoetch shifter. Was attempting to glue the tiny ball on the end while holding the shifter with a tweezers and like you said "zing"  off it flew.  I'm thinking I'm never gonna find this thing and cleared off the bench and started looking for it and don't ya know, as I kinda gave up, I look down and it's right in front of me. Go figure!!

Quick, go buy a Lottery ticket, we're never that lucky. 

On 5/12/2021 at 7:05 PM, TransAmMike said:

So what is it that went wrong Frank? Just looks like flat blue waiting for clear.

Its supposed to be this, but it sat too long in a container that shouldve been sealed, tied with dirty airbrush and too high psi and was moving way too fast. im picking up a different color this weekend and trying again

c30c7b_0e7af4f5cbc94b13af46186c41abf0a8_mv2.png

• 2 weeks later...

Since I started this thread, I might as well add my latest screw up, but sorry, no picture. Bought the '57 Snaptite kit for a simple build and decided to scribe panel lines. Easy right. Oh sure, not for me!! Got off track on a door panel and now have 2 panel lines on one side.🙄   Never again!!

8 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Since I started this thread, I might as well add my latest screw up, but sorry, no picture. Bought the '57 Snaptite kit for a simple build and decided to scribe panel lines. Easy right. Oh sure, not for me!! Got off track on a door panel and now have 2 panel lines on one side.🙄   Never again!!

And the panel lines aren't the only screw up.  This evening I realized that I now have to do something for a firewall on my '55. The kit one won't work since I'm using a modified '66 Nova Pro Mod chassis and the Nova one needs to be cut up and redone so it will clear the top of the transmission.  I have pretty much decided this will be by last non-OOB build.  Way too much trouble for my old brain and skill level.

I did manage to repair the panel line screw-up tho....I think at least.

676F50DC-36A4-4197-9379-8A7E7905BB01.thumb.jpeg.219b458cb2d3a2ed631b9911aa5ef020.jpeg

I have an ancient spray can of Testors blue. I was trying to coax a bit of paint out of it to touch up a model with a brush.

I picked up and shook the can, not noticing paint was oozing from the spray nozzle onto the top of the can...  result?  Paint across my hand, up my arm and onto my shirt!  At least the shirt was a yard work shirt!

6 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

676F50DC-36A4-4197-9379-8A7E7905BB01.thumb.jpeg.219b458cb2d3a2ed631b9911aa5ef020.jpegI have an ancient spray can of Testors blue. I was trying to coax a bit of paint out of it to touch up a model with a brush.

I picked up and shook the can, not noticing paint was oozing from the spray nozzle onto the top of the can...  result?  Paint across my hand, up my arm and onto my shirt!  At least the shirt was a yard work shirt!

I learned you shouldn't shake a molotow pen without the cap on. I have chrome spots on my workbench now. Glad none made it on the model.

On 5/11/2021 at 5:23 PM, Miatatom said:

Tweezers were made by the devil. 😇

I agree! How many times do you think it’s possible to pick up a tiny part and drop it....hoping that it will land right side up....so you can pick it up again and place it where you want it .?.?.? My record is about 83 times.🤪

I've got a couple things from years ago that still stick in my mind.  The first was an AMT Eckler's Corvette that I wanted to knock out of the park visually.

mcm14.jpg.0122c252d0418bf7766b40321aa29764.jpg

At the time I was crazy about the black and gold livery of the John Player Formula 1 cars, so I came up with a plan where I'd paint the majority of the car in black with the fender flares, hood bulge & spoilers highlighted in gold.  Despite my occasional ineptitude with spray cans, both colors turned out well.  Then I hit it with some Testors clear....which mottled the gold paint everywhere it touched.  Never did finish that one.

The other one goes under the title of You Can Never Clean Your Airbrush Enough.  I was shooting my first Tamiya acrylic paint job (gloss white) and it was going on very well until this black booger flew out of the airbrush, hit the middle of the hood, and dried on it almost instantaneously.  This thing looked like I'd spent a week in a coal mine then launched a snot-rocket out of my nose at the car.  Took some scraping and sanding to get it off there, but with some careful taping, I was able to repaint the hood with no noticeable issues.