Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you screw-up today??

I have been working on a 71 Duster. I assembled the rear spoiler, primed it and painted it. Now i can't find it !  I paint in the garage and looked all over for it as well as my bench. Nowhere to be found. Luckily I found one on ebay so now I will probably find it today. I have lost parts before but never one this size.

Tamiya spray paint has always been great for me in the past. I'm not the greatest painter but it makes me look like I am. Lately two different colors have gone on the body perfect as usual with a nice gloss. After it dries there's some semi-gloss areas. I tried spraying another coat on a hood and the exact same result happened. I'm not one to use clear on bodies but wondering if I should try that. Never had to before. Sorry, no pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

I've made my fair share of pig's ears over the years but I find the most frustrating thing about trying to build any kit now is that I drop everything. I'm sick of spending 50% of my modelling time with my head between my knees looking for something on the floor. At 57, putting your head between your knees isn't easy either! 

Its good seeing other mistakes though, makes me realize that it's not just me. 

2 hours ago, Rockford said:

I'm sick of spending 50% of my modelling time with my head between my knees looking for something on the floor

I selectively pick up what I drop!  Tooth picks, supplies and small sandpaper squares.. not worth picking up! I just grab a new one. Same with small parts I have multiples of.  

When I do get on all fours under the bench, I tend to find things I gave up looking for the last time and things I didn’t realize I was missing.  Never the item I was looking for!  

I drop things so much , I got tired of stopping and crawling around looking for them . I bought a grocers apron at the flea market and thumb tacked the bottom to the front edge of my work bench , when I sit down , I put the top over my head and have a nice little catch all in my lap . It's saved me a lot of time .

My paint job!😡 This is Pactra candy purple over a silver base. I know I put it on too heavy to get the real candy effect, and I was OK with that…I still like the color. It had a bit of an orange peel texture, so I wet sanded the entire thing smooth, and figured one more nice heavy coat that could “flow out” smoothly would do. Well, a bunch of scratches showed up on the trunk and the roof insert that I thought I had sanded smooth in the first place showed up all of a sudden.🤬🤬 I guess it’s going into the pond now!😡

88F26DDB-B580-422E-B320-0BF4B9D4B236.jpeg

89E6BB72-99B0-4B36-AEEA-E5A66B29CC7C.jpeg

6 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

It had a bit of an orange peel texture, so I wet sanded the entire thing smooth,

Hey, Greg man... Next time you have to wet sand any orange peel, you might want to try to polish back out what you sanded. That's usually what I would do. I use Formula 1 'Scratch Out'......... Unless you've sanded through somewhere, there might not be a need for more paint.

19 hours ago, JollySipper said:

Sorry, I may have misread you....... the scratches are in the plastic?

Thanks, but I don’t know.? I sure didn’t see them previously, yet they are clearly visible now. Same with the raised lip around the roof insert and texture that I sanded level I thought. Oh well… It’s in a jar of brake fluid now. 🤨 once it is thoroughly stripped, I will re-assess the status.

Edit: I guess the scratches were in the plastic. They must have been filled by primer. This paint I am attempting to use is a hot laquer designed for Polystyrene RC bodies. The heavy coat I put on must have softened the previous coats right down to and into the primer. Same with the roof insert…there is still just a little of the texture left. The brake fluid I used to strip it must have weakened the glue joints on my chop job too!🤬

232FB616-5D16-4762-B2F6-0908BBFF4690.jpeg

874F63EE-81FD-4811-A809-3E2D70865BE5.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

Putting color on my Studebaker yesterday. I had the hood, trunk and two doors each on their own base.  As I was moving a part from the spray booth to the drying table, I reached over one of the newly painted doors and put a palm print on it!  Cursed, let it dry. Sanded it out this morning and reshot. 

• 1 month later...

So while I was working on the 33 Willys gasser i really messed up. I put down one of the best paint jobs I had ever done, looked real good. Anyway, I waited a a couple days and the next step was to install the windows. i put the body upside down on a new microfiber towel for window installation. That went well but when I turned the body over the pattern of the towel had imprinted on the roof of the car. Bummer. Polish was of no help. I resorted to sanding it out. i have it masked and is being repainted now. I think it will be ok but not as good as it was.

8 hours ago, cobraman said:

So while I was working on the 33 Willys gasser i really messed up. I put down one of the best paint jobs I had ever done, looked real good. Anyway, I waited a a couple days and the next step was to install the windows. i put the body upside down on a new microfiber towel for window installation. That went well but when I turned the body over the pattern of the towel had imprinted on the roof of the car. Bummer. Polish was of no help. I resorted to sanding it out. i have it masked and is being repainted now. I think it will be ok but not as good as it was.

Was it enamel Ray?

File this under Oops and Dummer.

I had stripped some small parts and it was time to rinse them off. As I do, I put the stopper in the sink and rinsed them and hit them with an old tooth brush then set each one on a napkin to try when they were finished. All done! I pulled the stopper and started picking up the parts when the alternator (a little smaller than a pencil eraser) flew right at the sink and literally swirled around the drain like a basketball and then dropped in before I could get to it. Arg!

The the thought process...which is harder finding a new alternator or pulling the PVC trap. Trap it is. I unscrewed it and dumped it in the stopped up sink and retrieved my part. The part was carefully set aside with the rest, far from the ravenous sink. Good choice.

The trap was a bit smelly. I thought "I should rise this out while I have it out." So I did. Bad Choice. Big mess!

Scott

3 minutes ago, Scott Colmer said:

The trap was a bit smelly. I thought "I should rise this out while I have it out." So I did. Bad Choice. Big mess!

I still have to replace the sink trap at my daughter’s condo! I took a week vacation in NJ with my two daughters.. I replaced two toilets at my older daughter’s house.. her husband bought them but not a clue on installation. Then I installed a new float assembly in younger daughter’s condo.. and that’s vacation!

Not today but the other day. My Comet. Thought I'd try the chrome pen this time instead of foiling. Back in the stripper tank. The 166 Nova. Sprayed the clear coat. Looked great except for the one tiny piece of dog hair. Tried to get it out with tweezers. Scraped it accidentally and the paint removed to the bare plastic. I tried to mask it off to touch it up but that didn't work well. Back in the stripper. These 2 are really getting on my patience.