Model Cars Magazine Forum

NNL West 2021 - First canceled, now virtual online

Bernard Kron

The first months of the new year means NNL West for me, the one car model show I'm sure to attend each year. Even though I live in Seattle, Washington and have to fly down to central California to do it, I've been going since 2008. Last year we got in a real live show just before the Covid19 shutdowns. But this year we're just battling through what we all hope will be the end of this thing and NNL West 2021 had been canceled. Until a few days ago...

Roy Sorensen, one of the chief organizers of NNL West each year, in conjunction with Fine Scale Modeler magazine, has put together a virtual NNL to replace the cancelled in-person version. There's no entry fee and you can enter as many models as you like, with a 3 photo maximum per entry. There are 7 adult categories plus an under-12 junior modelers class. The deadline for entries is March 31st, 2021. Voting for the traditional People's Choice award runs from April 1st until April 7th, 2021.

Here's the link to the announcement: https://www.nnlwest.org/index.html 

The link on the page takes you to more details about awards and prizes, etc. To enter you must register which happens as part of uploading you first photo.

Is anyone here participating? NNL West as a live event has a reputation as the USA's largest model car show, with over 1,000 cars in most years. With it being virtual this year, modelers from around the world can enter online, leading to the possibility of this number being eclipsed. So far, with entries open since the first of the month, it looks like there are already over 350 cars on view.

• 2 weeks later...

HI!

Kudos to the NNL West organizers: I recently entered a few models, and their on-line technical process was easy, flawless, and very expedient. Bravo! 

I'm certain that many of us find comfort in the fact that, barred from in-person events, at least, such initiatives allow us to "get together" and share our passion. 

Thank you again, and I urge you to enter in great number. Long live the NNL West!

Regards,

Claude Thibodeau 

Entries continue apace with only one week to go! Too many to count accurately for these tired eyes, but there are clearly several hundred, closing in on the standard shown by the physical show. And as I suspected, it looks to be nationwide, if not worldwide, in scope. I encourage you to join in on the fun!

13 hours ago, modelcarbuildermag.com said:

Thanks Claude for posting this. ...

I'm not sure if it it's relevant, but I was the OP on this thread.

2 hours ago, Bernard Kron said:

Entries continue apace with only one week to go! Too many to count accurately for these tired eyes, but there are clearly several hundred, closing in on the standard shown by the physical show. And as I suspected, it looks to be nationwide, if not worldwide, in scope. I encourage you to join in on the fun!

I'm not sure if it it's relevant, but I was the OP on this thread.

Hi Bernard!

You are right: you were the original poster here. Maybe Mr. Sorensen was mistaken and did not notice that you were...

Anyway, he wanted me to contact him for another reason. Good luck with your entries on this show!

Regards,

CT 

9 hours ago, Bernard Kron said:

Thanks Claude. What cars/classes did you enter?

Hi Bernard!

Let' see... Rods & customs, street machines, open wheel comp and closed wheel comp. I would have loved a "light commercial" class, but it appears non-existant. 

The level and quality of the entries we see on their site right now is great. 

CT 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, redneckrigger said:

Great to see efforts to keep the competitive juices flowing during this "pandemic". But sure would have been nice to include light and heavy truck/commercial modelers........

I wish my friends at NNL West the very best with their event, we are all in this together.

I just want to point out that an NNL isn’t supposed to be a contest or competitive. It’s supposed to be a gathering of like minds and sharing of our work with friends. There isn’t a big focus on awards or competition.

I know that’s difficult to achieve online. 

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I wish my friends at NNL West the very best with their event, we are all in this together.

I just want to point out that an NNL isn’t supposed to be a contest or competitive. It’s supposed to be a gathering of like minds and sharing of our work with friends. There isn’t a big focus on awards or competition.

I know that’s difficult to achieve online. 

My bad on describing it as "competitive juices"....................perhaps it should be better described as " efforts to fulfill the desire to share builds with others and display them"? I have gone to many NNL's all the way back to the 80's.  We all take great joy in our builds and love to share them with others. Contests, and NNL type events allow us to do this. Covid has taken that away..................hopefully we will be able to do so with these type of events. The reward comes with the sharing of the efforts one has put into a unique build, not in prizes. 

20 hours ago, redneckrigger said:

Great to see efforts to keep the competitive juices flowing during this "pandemic". But sure would have been nice to include light and heavy truck/commercial modelers........

Check out the dscV17 - DESERT SCALE CLASSIC Virtual Venue Model Car Championship. There are 30 categories including six (6) classes for light and heavy commercial  modelers: Pickups, Sedan Deliveries-Vans-&-SUVs, Light Commercial, Heavy Commercial, First Responders, and Heavy Emergency Vehicles. 

Plus, you can make it a family affair - there's a Junior Class for your kids or grandkids or neighbors' kids.

It's our second annual OnLine Anti-Covid contest. 

Come one, come all!

🌵😎