Model Cars Magazine Forum

Needing some brainstorming help

You'd ostensibly need something made-of flexible materials... The only kit-based cooling ducts I can think of that may be close would be the ones in the 1966 Olds 4-4-2 ( AMT ) or the ones in the 1966 [?] Galaxie (AMT) , which was recently reissued as the Jolly Green Gasser .

I know that @StevenGuthmillercustom made the air cleaner ducts for his (outstanding) 1968 Olds 4-4-2 ; perhaps he'd be the guy to best answer this . 

If you don't need it to bend, bend a piece of styrene rod to the right shape, then wrap some really fine styrene rod around it.(Plastruct makes some in .010") .  Cement in place, and if you want to model the wrinkles, build those up with a brush, and some paint.

IF it does need to bend, maybe use it as a master to cast it in RTV?

Edited by Richard Bartrop

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

If you don't need it to bend, bend a piece of styrene rod to the right shape, then wrap some really fine styrene rod around it.(Plastruct makes some in .010") .  Cement in place, and if you want to model the wrinkles, build those up with a brush, and some paint.

That is exactly how I did the intake ducts for my '68 W-30.

image.jpeg.4f5517257a9a62847594f87820102c1b.jpeg

image.jpeg.d388d5b4755a005c202e3b4222bc13ef.jpeg

image.jpeg.c39718fb1f866e09df9809f55c135640.jpeg

Steve

I would heat a piece of plastic rod or sprue, bend it to shape, wrap with appropriate wire (easier to work with than plastic rod), then paint with dilute putty or Mr Surfacer. Someone on Youtube doing a Ferrari P3 used threaded rod with Mr Surfacer.

EngineChassis08_zpsf9a66090.jpg

I made those ducts (1:43 scale) by stripping insulation of some solid copper wire and wrapping it around a drill bit of the appropriate size.  Then I slipped the copper wire spring I made off the drill bit, and dipped it in the liquid rubbery stuff in tall cans used to add rubbery handles to pliers and other tools. As-is, the stuff is too viscous to use for dipping the duct, so I thinned it with some naphtha and acetone.  I made it liquid enough to just create a thin membrane between the coils.  I had to dip the ducts multiple times to build up more thickens (so the rubbery material would not break when the duct was bent.  While that worked well, it was a bit of a hassle to do. Not sure if I would try this method again.

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

You'd ostensibly need something made-of flexible materials... The only kit-based cooling ducts I can think of that may be close would be the ones in the 1966 Olds 4-4-2 ( AMT ) or the ones in the 1966 [?] Galaxie (AMT) , which was recently reissued as the Jolly Green Gasser .

I know that @StevenGuthmillercustom made the air cleaner ducts for his (outstanding) 1968 Olds 4-4-2 ; perhaps he'd be the guy to best answer this . 

Thanks John... Looks like he has now responded to this thread below.

2 hours ago, kruleworld said:

go find some bendy straws

Thanks Walter, that was one of my first thoughts also, but they’re too big and don’t really have quite the right look.

2 hours ago, Bainford said:

Are the wheels steerable, i.e., does the duct need to be flexible?

No and no.

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

IF it does need to bend, maybe use it as a master to cast it in RTV?

Thanks Richard! That’s a pretty good idea ... might have to look into it.

1 hour ago, Exotics_Builder said:

air-duct-hose-set-model-factory-hiro-w1200-h1200-2fbeb7cd26b03a257d7190c34b0f7f14.JPG

Thanks Gary ... Maybe the obviously perfect solution, but I’m hoping to not have to order online for this, so I’ll keep this one on the back burner.

30 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

That is exactly how I did the intake ducts for my '68 W-30.

Ahhh ... after seeing it, this is very convincing. I’ll have to go up to Hobby Lobby and see if I can get it in the right diameters. What type and brand of glue did you use?

34 minutes ago, jacko said:

I would heat a piece of plastic rod or sprue, bend it to shape, wrap with appropriate wire (easier to work with than plastic rod), then paint with dilute putty or Mr Surfacer. Someone on Youtube doing a Ferrari P3 used threaded rod with Mr Surfacer.

Thanks Jack. This is looking to be (generally speaking) the most recommended idea so far, but perhaps the metal wire would be easier, and I already have some👍

33 minutes ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

You could stretch out a spring and wrap it with electrical tape. 

Thanks Sean. The spring...possibly, but I don’t think it would hold bends well. The electrical tape, however, seems like it would be to thick and stiff and would come undone too easily.

12 minutes ago, peteski said:

I made those ducts (1:43 scale) by stripping insulation of some solid copper wire and wrapping it around a drill bit of the appropriate size.  Then I slipped the copper wire spring I made off the drill bit, and dipped it in the liquid rubbery stuff in tall cans used to add rubbery handles to pliers and other tools. As-is, the stuff is too viscous to use for dipping the duct, so I thinned it with some naphtha and acetone.  I made it liquid enough to just create a thin membrane between the coils.  I had to dip the ducts multiple times to build up more thickens (so the rubbery material would not break when the duct was bent.  While that worked well, it was a bit of a hassle to do. Not sure if I would try this method again.

Thanks Peter, im liking your trick as well and will keep it on the back burner 👍

17 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

The bag of ducts which @Exotics_Builder exhibited look great ! Here's the site ; lots of cool stuff ! Detail-Up Parts (modelfactoryhiro.com)

Thanks @StevenGuthmiller for posting pics of that fantastic '68 W30 ducting which you've scratch-built !

Thanks John for looking that up and posting the link ... I may end up having to go that route if other options don’t pan out first.

1 hour ago, Venom said:

Ahhh ... after seeing it, this is very convincing. I’ll have to go up to Hobby Lobby and see if I can get it in the right diameters. What type and brand of glue did you use?

I use Plastruct "Plasti-Weld" liquid cement.

Do two or three wraps at a time and dab on the glue while you hold it in place.

Repeat.

Steve

I found these at Walmart tonight in the party isle for $1.75. The diameter is perfect. They are super compacted, tightly wound paper (lolly-pop) sticks basically. They are pretty easy to bend and they stay bent and can be cut with side cutters and trimmed with a razor. They do wrinkle slightly, but I think paint will obscure that, and if you bend them much beyond 90 degrees they’ll start to split. I bent a piece and cut it to fit my application and I think it’s going to work. I’m thinking of using thread or fishing line to do the ribbed wrap, (thanks to above suggestions), but probably best with some type of thread since the stick is paper and I’ll have to use canopy glue. The only con I can think of so far is will the glue adhere to it and also to resin? It’s so dense that it seems like it should, but I’m actually not even sure exactly how im going to be doing the fitting at this point anyway.

145652B0-85E1-47E5-912D-C572787FB041.jpeg.39a7b6bded9f9ff6015ce438831fea28.jpeg

I use a combination of these techniques. Wrapping wire around a rod and slipping heat shrink tubing over the assembly. Heat it up and slide it off  the rod. gives you the option of sizing the diameter and it’s slightly flexible. Works ok for radiator hose also. This is a sample of .025 wire wrapped around .07 drill bit.03358159-BDB1-4DE4-9127-A5273DF68BBC.thumb.jpeg.207c1e2c7ba60a229e66f37edc7dd98e.jpeg

Many great suggestions for making your own hoses. Years ago I was doing several NASCR builds and was using a product from Scale Model Speedway and they offered several diameter Duct Hoses. Looking at the packaging there is no Web information but their address is 100 Gilmour Ct. Owensboro, Ky. 42301.