Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Icemancollections"

Okay...so probably a good portion of you guys know about "Icemancollections". "Iceman" belong to this group and produces some pretty nice builds, but what he produces for the aftermarket blows anything that I've seen out of the water!

I recently purchased (from..unfortunately the worlds largest "hobby-shop"...Ebay!) two items for a future mild "pro-street". One was the "Edelbrock 5.0 Supercharged Coyote" (a 785HP beast) motor kit and a set of "K&N" filters to go along with it. Absolutely fantastic! I've attached a couple of photos taken from the Ebay listing. The photos are nice...but what I received was a whole lot nicer. Everything is crisp and on the money. Now if I can only figure out how to plumb this thing when I do get to the build!

So go to his Ebay store and check him out...go today...because it looks like "Iceman" is cleaning out some parts that he's not going to be using, and there's some nice stuff up for auction.

I've got an idea for putting one of the "Icemans" "LS" engines into an AMT '61 Buick Electra convertible! What do you guys think?

5.0 COYOTE MODEL.jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

I bought his Hellcat and VW VR6 engine.  When you do buy something, take screenshots of all the pictures, because he does not have instructions, and when something like the VR6 is not being made, you miss out.  Looking forward to actually finishing the Hellcheetah to report on the finished product.

I have the Hellephant, Barra Ford and 2 twin turbo LS engines. They are very nice and certainly fill a huge void in the model car world. If you want  modern engines, there are not a lot of them available in kit form. I am very happy with the ones I have!

8 hours ago, Grumpa said:

Okay...so probably a good portion of you guys know about "Icemancollections". "Iceman" belong to this group and produces some pretty nice builds, but what he produces for the aftermarket blows anything that I've seen out of the water!

I recently purchased (from..unfortunately the worlds largest "hobby-shop"...Ebay!) two items for a future mild "pro-street". One was the "Edelbrock 5.0 Supercharged Coyote" (a 785HP beast) motor kit and a set of "K&N" filters to go along with it. Absolutely fantastic! I've attached a couple of photos taken from the Ebay listing. The photos are nice...but what I received was a whole lot nicer. Everything is crisp and on the money. Now if I can only figure out how to plumb this thing when I do get to the build!

So go to his Ebay store and check him out...go today...because it looks like "Iceman" is cleaning out some parts that he's not going to be using, and there's some nice stuff up for auction.

I've got an idea for putting one of the "Icemans" "LS" engines into an AMT '61 Buick Electra convertible! What do you guys think?

5.0 COYOTE MODEL.jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

This is what I was trying to say in another post about ICEMAN COLLECTIONS being great!  Unfortunately the picture I referenced from ICEMAN generated a bit of criticism as the engine was a bit dusty.  Iceman Collections are very good and I have bought a fair share for my projects regardless of how others may feel.

Can anybody post photos of items they actually have and not reposts of eBay listings? I have looked at his items on eBay but decided against them because of the amount of pinholes, layers, and general uncleanliness readily apparent in the photos.

Here are a few direct from listings:

8507237F-BACB-437B-95FC-8E5A0E08C840.jpeg

14E4A547-EAD1-4826-B4A4-0C695BB4EBEC.jpeg

6348E062-FFEB-4E2D-A90E-4AB72E250F8E.jpeg

7FF7BCA2-01BF-4B5C-9407-39ADF042077A.jpeg

Edited by Erik Smith

17 minutes ago, Erik Smith said:

Can anybody post photos of items they actually have and not reposts of eBay listings? I have looked at his items on eBay but decided against them because of the amount of pinholes, layers, and general uncleanliness readily apparent in the photos.

Here are a few direct from listings:

8507237F-BACB-437B-95FC-8E5A0E08C840.jpeg

14E4A547-EAD1-4826-B4A4-0C695BB4EBEC.jpeg

6348E062-FFEB-4E2D-A90E-4AB72E250F8E.jpeg

7FF7BCA2-01BF-4B5C-9407-39ADF042077A.jpeg

I would be very leery of buying that inferior quality stuff. It would be nearly impossible to clean up and make presentable.

8 hours ago, Lownslow said:

you guys are rivet counting that all clears up after primer also engines in general are not smooth'

I don’t think so. I’m not questioning any accuracy or proportions, I’m just asking about finished quality. I have resin and 3D printed parts and they do not look like the parts in the photos above. Here is a resin engine kit from USCP, as delivered (photo of actual item):48339A34-4E78-42B2-A147-7F875EFA70E8.jpeg.aa27c9119a0ffe272f594b269914353a.jpeg

F7A5403E-BD34-4EE2-B827-39F9558916E7.thumb.jpeg.f2c3846c81bb78e0b7caa8c9ddd611a6.jpeg6433F5D1-E287-486E-9C1F-D8A6B876440B.jpeg.a83ed93e96fbf42010d040573bd5e713.jpeg

and a 3D printed engine from Mad Mike’s:

73F7E354-4AF8-4457-97BA-3A74EB93FF40.thumb.jpeg.6fbfb4148ce67e6107f6925179228480.jpeg1EB5AA38-DBF1-42D1-9473-FC59ACC9EAA7.thumb.jpeg.413129508c771707161940cffb0bf577.jpeg

I will let the parts speak for themselves. 

Edited by Erik Smith

WOW!...First...I need to apologize to "Iceman" for opening this can of "Cackle Fest"!

Second...when I tell you that what I have received is "absolutely fantastic"...I'm not kidden''! No hits...no runs...no errors!

I, like probably most of you, do not build anything strait out of the box. In fact I "S-C" just about everything except the body and frame. So when I went looking for some modern motive power I settled on this kit, and the material that is used is different from what comes out of the Ukraine, and at $19.95 vs $40.00 plus...well $19.95 wins out every day! (Thanks "Iceman" for keeping such a fine product at a reasonable cost...and producing it in the U.S.!)

I've been modeling for over 60yrs. Built everything from Doll-Houses & furniture, Military, trains in every scale, and for the past 36yrs dealt in the world of graphics for packaging (try dealing with skin tones in print...that'll put you over the edge!) The one thing that I have learned is that the human eye, and brain for that matter, can only percieve so much. So when you are at model car show/contest, and you are viewing a model you are at best three feet away. In 1:25th scale...that's seventy five feet! Now when you peer in closer you are still at least thirty six feet away. In looking at the photo's provided...you would have to be an inch away from the piece depicted to be able to find any flaw. Good luck with that!

Bottom line...what I received is outstanding. 

Next time...invest the $19.95...and if it doesn't meet your standards...Don't do it again!

I have gotten 3D items that look great in photos, but look like weathered plywood in person. I have a bunch of icemans work, and I have to say, it is great.  Perhaps his eBay photos are of lesser quality but the items I have show no pinholes, and will need little, if any, smoothing prior to use.  So, based on the photos I have enclosed of the actual items I bought, I’m happy. To each their own!

BDDB8319-841A-4BCF-B710-52A28848E67D.jpeg

0DF7D1E6-D1FB-47AC-99EB-B061CC25EAB7.jpeg

591B1240-0B3E-4CF5-9497-2B9EB7CEABCA.jpeg

13ECAA2F-CFCC-4CCD-AC04-CD73A5A156D2.jpeg

D5ADD207-6282-455C-A24F-CF4879F7D1BA.jpeg

55537B70-5750-4CA9-8CF7-62CC55C00BDB.jpeg

C13AFB78-83C9-424E-A161-2985769A10DE.jpeg

8E0EDC5F-B3F0-4CCF-A572-0CDBF2A07E08.jpeg

Edited by redneckrigger

Against my better judgment I'm going to wade into this. I've held off buying anything from Iceman because the pictures on ebay aren't very good and nothing posted here has changed my mind. His 3d models are low polygon count leading to the octagonal headers and the printer is equally of a lower resolution than what is really necessary for our small scale. I can't speak to if or how much paint it takes to hide the layers as I've never used a printed piece that heavily layered before.

These are items I've gotten from Dmitry on ebay who used to be with the USCP guys. The difference in quality it obvious and the price is reasonable. The transmission was $8 and the wheels were $22. The clear stuff I got off Shapeways, it's the highest quality print they do and almost completely smooth.

20210219_095259.jpg.e9823910d05fa32c7a2a34d41491fb2c.jpg20210219_095147.jpg.7b0f41077b7e0895668789e0708336a3.jpg

20201229_181325.jpg

Edited by Fat Brian

Yup, that's the beauty of this forum..................you don't get forced to agree with another poster. What works fine for one is different for another. I have some items from the Ukraine, and while very nice, some of the detail appears to me, at least, to be a bit soft on the edges. I like the sharpness of the iceman items, and, personally, I don't want to buy an engine kit and not massage it a bit myself to get the appearance I want. Freedom to choose....................it's a wonderful thing!

46 minutes ago, redneckrigger said:

Yup, that's the beauty of this forum..................you don't get forced to agree with another poster. What works fine for one is different for another. I have some items from the Ukraine, and while very nice, some of the detail appears to me, at least, to be a bit soft on the edges. I like the sharpness of the iceman items, and, personally, I don't want to buy an engine kit and not massage it a bit myself to get the appearance I want. Freedom to choose....................it's a wonderful thing!

You're 100% right Tom! "Different strokes for different folks!"

22 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Clearly Scale does nice castings.

18834081-8E36-4C55-814D-46F25E59874E.jpeg

I have both a clearly scale hellcat engine set, and a couple of years ago had purchased an iceman hellcat engine set.  They were both the same engine, only the clearly scale set is beautiful, the iceman copy was horrible, i ended up tossing it in the garbage.  It was only much later i learned that iceman had been making recast copies of clearly scale engine sets, while he was still in hospital.  The iceman recast parts were uncleaned and open mold castings, full of pin holes, no instructions, no decals, nothing.  For this reason, of recasting another persons work without permission and for profit, my personal choice has been to not ever purchase from iceman again.

The 3D printed engine sets sold by iceman are actually the work of Andy Chew in Australia, who does some very nice design work.  Iceman doesn't do his own design work, only runs printers, and sells the items on ebay.  I cant speak for the quality, but the photos shown don't look very good.

So, I'm getting mixed impressions here? Some say the stuff is very good, others say no. And the images pulled from auctions do not make the parts look good. is it simply a matter of the pics needing to be updated to reflect better/current standards and the seller just hasn't done that? or are those pics representative of current output? I'm talking about gaps, holes layering and such.

Base on the images of the unpainted items Tom posted above, it sure looks like the seller just needs to update his images to better reflect current quality output

This is a prime example of one of the reason Replicas and Miniatures doesn't have a website. Norm and his wife would rather spend time filling orders and working on product rather than maintaining a website.

6 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

So, I'm getting mixed impressions here? Some say the stuff is very good, others say no. And the images pulled from auctions do not make the parts look good. is it simply a matter of the pics needing to be updated to reflect better/current standards and the seller just hasn't done that? or are those pics representative of current output? I'm talking about gaps, holes layering and such.

Base on the images of the unpainted items Tom posted above, it sure looks like the seller just needs to update his images to better reflect current quality output

This is a prime example of one of the reason Replicas and Miniatures doesn't have a website. Norm and his wife would rather spend time filling orders and working on product rather than maintaining a website.

Craig,

What I was looking for was an 8 to 900HP for a mild Pro-street build. I looked at what "Mad Mike" (Model Builders Warehouse) produces, he didn't have what I was looking for. "Clearly Scale" (Model Builders Warehouse - their prices are reasonable)...nope..not there either. "USCP"...curses...foiled again (they are a tad on the expensive side). "Shapeways"..some nice stuff...but, again not what I was looking for (and expensive). So that brings me to "Icemancollections". The Edelbrock Supercharged 5.0 Coyote is 785HP out of the box! Close enough, and at $19.50... a good deal. As to the quality...well...what I have is great. The material is a lot darker than what is depicted in the photos. Now I don't know a darn thing about the differences in "3D" material. I know that the better the material. The higher the price, but as I mentioned in a post above. The human eye is only going to discern just so much. And lets face it. Every one of us massages the parts to some extent or another when we build. I even spotted some flaws in some of the photos posted from other "3D" printers. 

I have purchased resin parts and kits for several years, and some of them couldn't hold a candle to a child with "Play-Doh".  That is not the case with what I received from "Iceman".

As a matter of fact. He produces a couple of other engine kits that I will be purchasing soon. One is one of the "LS" engines that will go into a '62 Buick Electra 'vert. The other will be the BOSS 302 for a '34 Ford. He has a good variety of modern engines available

Am I happy with what I have purchased?...Yes!. Will I buy from "Iceman" again?...Yes!

Just a note on surface texture of 3D prints...there are self-levelling primers that apparently do a bang-up job of filling the very faint stepping on printed parts. The other day someone recommended a primer called Stynylrez to me...I haven't tried it, but it looks pretty good.

All the 3D parts I've ever used have needed some cleanup. I consider it a fair part of the admission cost; in exchange I get to have something that doesn't otherwise exist in scale.

Mad Mike's stuff looks like it's being printed on a very high-end machine, wow. Cha ching!