Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Icemancollections"

39 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

I don't do facebook and it doesn't appear the Modelers Warehouse has all the Clearly Scale products.  Anyone know how to see their whole product line. Products look great as well as the prices.

clearlyscale@gmail.com

He can probably send you a list of items. 

On 3/18/2021 at 4:40 PM, TransAmMike said:

I don't do facebook and it doesn't appear the Modelers Warehouse has all the Clearly Scale products.  Anyone know how to see their whole product line. Products look great as well as the prices.

Randy at Model Builders Warehouse is excellent, and says they are working on building up the full selection of Clearly Scale products they make, plus a bunch of new products, to the modelbuilderswh.com web store.

Jeremy is still very much recovering, but will never fully recover, he said in email to me, but has help from friends and family so has resumed the level of production best he can, working on clearing up any back orders from when he was hospitalized last. He says they are not planning to reopen Clearlyscale.com , but instead provide all products through Randy MBW.  The only other place there are photos of more Clearly Scale products, is on their Facebook page, but can be viewed even if you aren't registered there.

He is still taking email requests clearlyscale@gmail.com for stuff like Hellcat Challenger conversion sets.  I'm looking forward to all the new stuff he's been working on!

Edited by JGrey

• 5 weeks later...

I resisted the urge to buy on eBay but Iceman only sells there, so I finally caved in. I just placed my third order with him as the first two orders arrived in less than 4 days from placing the order, something almost unheard of in the model aftermarket world. 

In regards to his process and the finish on the parts, yes, some work may be required, but it's not like some resin blobs from some suppliers. The very nature of 3D printing will have some finish issues, but I have seen the same with injection molded plastic kits too.  As was mentioned, Iceman brings us stuff not seen or likely to be seen so one must decide if they want his product or not. Minor clean up and polishing is not a big deal to me, but then I don't build contest winning models so maybe I am different from the rest of the crowd.

5 hours ago, John Pol said:

What you pay for 3Dparts there should not be any lines in it

I just 3D printed some tires for myself. If I charged for my time to design and prep the files, set up the printer, print the wheels, rinse and post-cure, and clean up the mess, not to mention consumables like resin, filters, paper towel and IPA...I'd have to charge 80 bucks a set, haha.And they still have lines in 'em!

12 hours ago, Spex84 said:

I just 3D printed some tires for myself. If I charged for my time to design and prep the files, set up the printer, print the wheels, rinse and post-cure, and clean up the mess, not to mention consumables like resin, filters, paper towel and IPA...I'd have to charge 80 bucks a set, haha.And they still have lines in 'em!

hahaa... not to mention the 2-3 test prints to get the orientation the best..  I know for a fact I couldn't be efficient enough to ever make a profit on anything I model/print at home.

I give Joel "iceman" a lot of credit for making modern aftermarket items, and now even some complete kits available.... his service is always quick and he delivers what is in his photos.

Resin 3d printing can be a fickle and time consuming process, for him to be running a printer farm and selling to the public is no easy feat.... more aftermarket = more better...

• Thanks 1

Hey everyone.

Great discussion here. One of the most honest comments I saw on here was something to the effects of you being in full control of whether you purchase products from certain folks or not.  I absolutely agree. There are so many people printing and traditionally casting parts, some ok, some great, and some amazing.  While I like to think that my recent products fall somewhere in the middle,, the buyers/builders get to decide how they really feel about the items.

This is not to convince you that my items are the best. But I figured I’d be transparent with what I offer.

It’s true that I do not design the majority of these pieces.  I have been lucky to partner with some amazing people to help with that side of the process. Andy, Chew, Ron Olsen, Daft, and a few others that prefer to stay unmentioned, have worked with me to allow me to print and offer their parts through my store. I, honored and humbled that they would allow that. Once in a while I might “remix”a file I have to make it fit something else. I feel designing is a different hobby on its own. Maybe when I retire I’ll have time to learn.

The other side of that coin is taking what these guys design and figuring out the best settings (exposure, angles, etc) to print for the better looking pieces. On my IG and FB accounts I constantly post test prints. Sometimes it takes one test print and minor modifications and others it takes 4 or 5 (or 8 one time) test prints to get the final product. It’s not just adding them to the printer and hitting the print button.

When I first started printing I was using a light colored resin that did not show the details without giving it some depth with a light coat of primer.  I made the mistake in some of those to spray with a dirty airbrush. I do need to go back and update those pictures eventually. The last few engines I’ve released, I don’t spray anything  I just changed my resin formula instead.

Because different guys design at different levels when it comes to details, some parts will look more smooth that others.  Some will require sanding to smooth out as is the case with many resin parts.  Some may look great after just a coat of primer. There are a lot of factors that come into play to get parts as smooth as what we’re used to working with in plastic right out of the box. So yes, some sanding may be required to get the parts looking as good as the builder wants.

Some people have a misconception about how the low to mid level printers we have at home are supposed to work.  They want the same output on these <$800 printers that the industrial ones provide.  Not the case.  I’d recommend doing more research on that before flat out saying printed parts should be completely smooth every time. 

I have started offering transkits and soon full kits, but I only make those as limited runs of 24. It takes too much time for final products, and not everyone is willing to invest time in the prep work. A few one-offs is cool to have to mix it up in the hobby I think.

3d printing has grown so much in the last 6 months alone. Printers are affordable and a lot of folks have started offering their designs online. There is a learning curve and it does cut into building time but I encourage folks to give it a try. It opens up lots of possibilities.

All this is still just a hobby for me.  It helps me fund my plastic addiction. 🙂

Again, this is not to convince anyone to purchase my products because there are a lot of guys printing nowadays. We have many options to choose from and I think that is great for the hobby.

I respect your decision to not to buy from me whether it’s because you don’t trust what you see, or you have a thorn on your side due to shipping cost to your country, or maybe even because you plain and simple don’t like me.  You’re in full control. And it is a beautiful thing to have that control. To those that have purchased from me, a full hearted thank you. I truly appreciate your support.

I’m not looking to BE the hobby. I just want to be a tiny part of it by offering aftermarket pieces that are not available otherwise.

I hope this provides some clarity on the items I sell.
Now get back to building! 😝 

thanks for letting me blabber on about this  

joel

iceman collections

Edited by IceMan Collections

Thanks Joel, for your honesty, great approach to what you offer, and positive outlook. We don’t always see that with aftermarket vendors. I appreciate your contribution to the hobby. I have enjoyed your items. You’re right about what a huge leap 3d printing has taken recently, I can’t wait to see what the future brings.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, haven't posted in a while. Since moving I haven't been able to fully get my model space organized, but hopefully soon. Anyways, I just wanted to share some of my own photos of the numerous items I've purchased from Joel "Iceman Collections." As some of you might remember, I've been doing resin for about 15 years now, and although I no longer sell because it took too much time away from my own projects, I still enjoy doing it for myself and friends. Having said that, I'm a huge fan of clean and meticulously cast resin parts. 3D printing has come a long way and as an avid customer of Iceman's, I can tell you that his stuff is top-notch. Not only is he a great builder, but he is truly an enthusiast of the hobby. He has great customer service to boot. While some of his early pictures on eBay left a lot to be desired, I can tell you that I'm fully satisfied with the quality of his prints, the quality of his service, and the uniqueness of his offerings. I'll let the pictures I'm about to share speak for themselves. Understand these photos are enlarged many times beyond the size of the parts themselves. If you cannot work with parts this good, its time to find another hobby. J/K ... sort of. 

Boss ProMod Engine and Boss 302 -

IMG_6222 (Copy).JPG

IMG_6224 (Copy).JPG

IMG_6225 (Copy).JPG

IMG_6223 (Copy).JPG

IMG_6226 (Copy).JPG

IMG_6227 (Copy).JPG

IMG_6228 (Copy).JPG

Edited by shucky

• 1 month later...