Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Dodge Charger

Captain Spaulding

Decided for my next project I'd try one of the finished models I got from my old neighbor a few months ago. I wouldn't call it a glue bomb but definitely needs help in some areas. I'm guessing sand paper will be the best for removing the excess glue, but open to any other suggestions.

Currently having a bath in easy-off oven cleaner, will be my first attempt at restoring a kit. Wish me luck.

20210314_123640.jpg

20210315_094129.jpg

20210315_094136.jpg

20210315_094154.jpg

3 hours ago, Captain Spaulding said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence bud.  

Got some of the paint stripped off but found some pieces were painted white underneath the yellow so gave it another go of the easy-off to get rid of the rest of the paint.

I’ve had great success with castrol super clean for breaking down most paint, and it does an admirable job of making the ole testors tube glue fairly brittle. Enough that you can pick it away with dental picks and a sharp #11 blade

I let it soak for 48 hours 

D826DBE9-FF64-487E-AA51-36B05DBC7EA1.jpeg

4326C96A-390C-472E-A3C9-C64719EDCF66.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Bullybeef said:

I’ve had great success with castrol super clean for breaking down most paint, and it does an admirable job of making the ole testors tube glue fairly brittle. Enough that you can pick it away with dental picks and a sharp #11 blade

I let it soak for 48 hours 

D826DBE9-FF64-487E-AA51-36B05DBC7EA1.jpeg

4326C96A-390C-472E-A3C9-C64719EDCF66.jpeg

Thanks for the advice pal, I'll give that a try if it doesn't take off what was left on the car. Paint seems to be coming off good, glue though might be an issue but now I know that will work.

After a bath overnight in easy-off the parts are for the most part stripped of paint, enough that I can cover up what's left with a light coat of primer. The chassis didn't come off like the rest so must of been painted with another type of paint.

Quite a bit of the glue came off as well, only real problem area now is on the door panels. 

20210316_081619.jpg

4 hours ago, Painted Black said:

Chassis that are painted black can be a pain to strip, 

The black doesn't bother me too much, I usually do my chassis black.

3 hours ago, espo said:

Might even consider a second soaking.  

Decided to do one more go of the easy-off, should take what's left away.

2 hours ago, David G. said:

Good progress so far!

David G.

Thanks David 

45 minutes ago, slusher said:

Jason, looks like you have a good model to work with. I think you will make a good looking model out of it.

Thanks bud, think this is going to be a quick easy build. After stripping all the old paint everything is going back together easily.

13 hours ago, Captain Spaulding said:

Something about an old muscle car in primer that looks right.

It's true and we've all seen old muscle cars from time to time that were just primer. Are you looking to do a factory type color for this one?

1 hour ago, AMT68 said:

It's true and we've all seen old muscle cars from time to time that were just primer. Are you looking to do a factory type color for this one?

I haven't decided yet, kinda leaning towards maybe a Chrysler Blue I have left from another build but trying to think of an interior color as well.

6 hours ago, slusher said:

I have a. Sublime and black I have not finished yet"....

2 hours ago, Captain Spaulding said:

That will be a good color combination.

That's the color I chose for mine when I built it a couple of years back. I used Tamiya TS-22 Light Green which I painted over black primer to give the color some depth.

I'm not intending to hijack your thread but here's how it turned out.

71_DodgeCharger_25.thumb.jpg.8d077366cef50fcb4483199f9bf08be8.jpg

Keep up the good work on yours.

David G.

Edited by David G.
typo

41 minutes ago, David G. said:

That's the color I chose for mine when I built it a couple of years back. I used Tamiya TS-22 Light Green which I painted over black primer to give the color some depth.

I'm not intending to hijack your thread but here's how it turned out.

71_DodgeCharger_25.thumb.jpg.8d077366cef50fcb4483199f9bf08be8.jpg

Keep up the good work on yours.

David G.

Great job on your Charger David, looks good in that green.

If something unfortunate must happen, then that's an acceptable option. Better that than (heaven forbid) a split windshield. 

2 hours ago, Captain Spaulding said:

Great job on your Charger David, looks good in that green.

Thank you.

David G.

1 hour ago, David G. said:

If something unfortunate must happen, then that's an acceptable option. Better that than (heaven forbid) a split windshield. 

Thank you.

David G.

Luckily it was just the rear end, it's slowly coming back together with the help of crazy glue. I've had completed models fall and shatter so lucky it happened now.