Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rare Kits... prices.

30 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I mentioned earlier that there are folks who can pay $1000 for a kit they want and never miss the money. That’s called expendable income. 

It does bother me to see guys who cannot afford what they’re buying, taking food from their families. We all know one of those. 

I hear ya.. even if I had an expendable income, I’d still be careful with my money. I’ve met quite a few people in my time that had more money than brains. 

Edited by Brutalform

I quit buying off e-bay. Too many times I had a decent bid with no other interest only to get beat out the very last minute. Then the same model comes up for sale again. I think some of these people don't want to sell they just want to see what they can get. If you really want a kit hit a toy show or swap meet in person.

9 hours ago, Brutalform said:

I hear ya.. even if I had an expendable income, I’d still be careful with my money. I’ve met quite a few people in my time that had more money than brains. 

A lot with a little money and no brains. If you have money, try to keep it, spend carefully. OK to go nuts on a few things. 

10 hours ago, BubbaBrown said:

I quit buying off e-bay. Too many times I had a decent bid with no other interest only to get beat out the very last minute. Then the same model comes up for sale again. I think some of these people don't want to sell they just want to see what they can get. If you really want a kit hit a toy show or swap meet in person.

I have seen the same thing. I believe and have said that the person selling bids to raise the price and resells to get the price they want..

There has been a boom in the hobby due to Covid, so with more people chasing the same kits, maybe it's not that surprising that eBay prices have gone up.

I tend to avoid eBay mostly because of the stupidly high amounts that get tacked on for shipping and handling.

I get that shipping to Canada is a hassle, but when you're tacking on an extra $90 to ship a 1/32 kit, maybe you don't need to handle it quite so much.

17 hours ago, BubbaBrown said:

If you really want a kit hit a toy show or swap meet in person.

And that can be a hit or miss. How many times I got the "Those get that price on Ebay" flapdoodle from sellers. They must like carrying those kits home every night.  Are you selling or running a mobile museum?

2 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I tend to avoid eBay mostly because of the stupidly high amounts that get tacked on for shipping and handling.

I get that shipping to Canada is a hassle, but when you're tacking on an extra $90 to ship a 1/32 kit, maybe you don't need to handle it quite so much.

LOL...handling!

On 3/17/2021 at 9:39 AM, Tom Geiger said:

I mentioned earlier that there are folks who can pay $1000 for a kit they want and never miss the money. That’s called expendable income. 

It does bother me to see guys who cannot afford what they’re buying, taking food from their families. We all know one of those. 

Truth. I ain't rich but all bills are paid and the larder is stocked with food before I spend anything on the hobby. Thems da rules set down by "She who must be obeyed; keeper of the royal purse and maker of whoopy time"!!

1 minute ago, lordairgtar said:

Truth. I ain't rich but all bills are paid and the larder is stocked with food before I spend anything on the hobby. Thems da rules set down by "She who must be obeyed; keeper of the royal purse and maker of whoopy time"!!

Hahahahahah. 

9 hours ago, slusher said:

I have seen the same thing. I believe and have said that the person selling bids to raise the price and resells to get the price they want..

You can see who else is bidding on the item. Sometimes there will be a bidder with a large number of retracted bids, or lots of bids and very few, if any, purchases. These can be signs of shill bidding by either the seller or an accomplice - or not. 
Sometimes there are people that are just not good people and bid on items and then don’t pay. Then the seller is forced to relist the item. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.instructables.com/Introduction-Detecting-Shill-Bidding-on-EBay/%3famp_page=true

Edited by Erik Smith

2 minutes ago, Erik Smith said:

You can see who else is bidding on the item. Sometimes there will be a bidder with a large number of retracted bids, or lots of bids and very few, if any, purchases. These can be signs of shrill bidding by either the seller or an accomplice - or not. 
Sometimes there are people that are just not good people and bid on items and then don’t pay. Then the seller is forced to relist the item. 

Evilbay  tracks how often a potential “buyer” bids on items with the same seller.  I suppose if the same person bids over and over on different items with mostly a seller they “know” they will get flagged and possibly banned.  I bid up to what I am comfortable paying and if shenanigans happen that’s life - no kit is worth paying 100X the original cost.

5 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

You can see who else is bidding on the item. Sometimes there will be a bidder with a large number of retracted bids, or lots of bids and very few, if any, purchases. These can be signs of shill bidding by either the seller or an accomplice - or not. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.instructables.com/Introduction-Detecting-Shill-Bidding-on-EBay/%3famp_page=true

I saw the same guy sell the exact model 7 times before he let it go but that was 5 years ago.same bidder won every time...

Edited by slusher

9 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

There has been a boom in the hobby due to Covid, so with more people chasing the same kits, maybe it's not that surprising that eBay prices have gone up.

I saw a 31 dollar shipping the other day..

I go right past stupid shipping prices.  A car model costs $11.00 to ship.  A larger truck model might be $15.00.  I see $35.00 and think "good luck".  There are deals to be had on ebay.  I've gotten some.  And yes, whether it's a swap meet, the Goodwill, or an estate sale, everyone is looking at ebay to see what they can "get" for an item.  Problem is that they are usually looking at a listing, not an actual sale price.

3 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Lucky you, that's about average for sending a car kit across the border.  As a rule, I don't bother unless the seller is in Canada.

The said part. If I want to help out one of our brothers to the north with a trade , the shipping makes it not worth it to ship the kit. 

On 3/16/2021 at 4:47 PM, iamsuperdan said:

Pricing is kind of crazy.

A couple of years ago, I paid $9 for this.

20210307_143608.thumb.jpg.7abbd6ebb938660445f83d8af33a5c3a.jpg

Now I see it on Ebay for a little bit more.

1958562989_EbayMental-01.JPG.de1556eb5f169600b51c9a17b2a07792.JPG

I've actually started this one now. :)

Anyway, I pass on a lot of the kits I really want, because I just won't spend that kind of money on a kit.

Good luck to the seller, Italeri just announced the re-issue.

Read somewhere on another forum that EBay are now charging 13 percent on transactions. Is this true as I have never used it?

Rare plastic kits are only valuable as kits unfortunately. I approached an auction house about selling some of my built up plastic models and they expressed no interest in built up plastic kits no matter what standard.

2 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Read somewhere on another forum that EBay are now charging 13 percent on transactions. Is this true as I have never used it?

Rare plastic kits are only valuable as kits unfortunately. I approached an auction house about selling some of my built up plastic models and they expressed no interest in built up plastic kits no matter what standard.

Not sure, I am sure someone here knows. 

I stopped selling on there years ago because fees were just eating me up, then they changed the format so I was definitely out. Go to ebay motors and search 1972 Mercury Montego. You will get 50,000+ results. Mostly screws, seat covers, steering wheel covers and other BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. Before I would be lucky to get 100 results.

On 3/17/2021 at 8:30 PM, BubbaBrown said:

I know exactly what you're saying. I've been burned countless times on bids only to get outbidded at the very last minute. And too many times I've seen a pattern of bid sniping as well. God, how I hate that. It didn't take very long to avoid auctions on eBay. I'd rather go the "Buy it Now" option. Sometimes there is a link to Make an Offer. Those are even better as long as you're not low balling the seller. I've had quite a few successful offers to the sellers that are reasonable.

11 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

The seller is charged the fee, not the buyer. That's why you won't see the charge. eBay found a way to make money to keep the site running. If I have something to sell, I'll post on my local Craigslist or OfferUp. I've sold numerous stuff this way.  I got lucky a couple years ago when a seller had a bunch of unbuilt model kits for sale. I bought a couple from him. Look on your local Craigslist or Offer Up - you'll never know what you'll find.