Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Pontiac Firebird

Plowboy

5 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Great work going one here, Roger!

I didn't know about the incorrect roofline but it doesn't surprise me. I wouldn't have noticed on my TA build, I was way too busy scriping the panels on the hood. 😎

There's a lot of things wrong with this kit. Even more than I realized! I just learned that the interior is also wrong! It actually has '69 Camaro convertible door panels. WTH?! That combined with how shallow it is has convinced me to can the kit interior. Instead, I'm going to use the interior from the '69 Camaro and customize it a bit. I'm going to use the coupe's tub and quarters and customize the convertible's door panels. The interior quarters will be blanked. I may or may not use the rear seat. If not, I'll add a four point roll bar. 

I first fitted the interior tub to the chassis. I had to do some cutting due to the wheel tubs. I wanted to make sure that the deeper interior wouldn't mess with the stance. Plus, I was dying to get a visual of it with the wheels and tires on it.

20210421_135308-1.jpg.635e5adda7905426dd31feced70adb74.jpg

The front wasn't affected at all. But, the rear is up just a touch. Just need to de arch the springs a bit to get it back down.

20210421_135239-1.jpg.c2532094a48d078b3794629454a9e7f2.jpg

I wasn't sure about the Flat Clear at first. But, now that I see it with the wheels and tires, I love how it looks! Hopefully, I can get the interior cobbled together today and maybe in primer. I still haven't touched the engine. I'm thinking about seeing if the heads from the '55 P/S will fit the BBC. There's a scale difference between them. But, it may not make a huge difference. 

5 hours ago, Beamerman said:

Great Color choice! Looks awesome!

Maybe it looks better in person, but in the pics it just looks like flat light gray. Looks a lot like the cheap primer I use, in fact. But maybe it looks better in 3D. :unsure:

10 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Maybe it looks better in person, but in the pics it just looks like flat light gray. Looks a lot like the cheap primer I use, in fact. But maybe it looks better in 3D. :unsure:

I really like it that way. espacially with the wheels...cool style...

12 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Maybe it's your monitor? The fine metallic shows clearly in the photos on my tablet. Better in person. 

I finally have the interior going my way. I never would have thought that mixing the coupe and convertible interior parts together would have caused so many fit issues! But, I finally got the panels to fit the tub and body. On the door panels, I got rid of the door strap and Camaro script. Then, I rounded the tops of them and cut the rear panels off. I then cut the excess away from the window switch so that I could glue it to the coupe's rear panels. On the rear panels, I cut them loose, smoothed them and glued the window switches on.

20210422_155748-1.jpg.4925190a8592363ea0aece1474af4f3a.jpg

I decided to use the Camaro's rear seat as is. After all of the work with the door and rear panels, I wasn't up for customizing the seat. Remember me having to take 3mms from the hood? Well, I had to add the same amount to the dash! I also had to add .040 to each side. Hopefully, I can get by with just spraying the pad over as I have already painted the black on the gauges etc.I almost decided to can this interior because of the dash. But, I kept telling myself that the extra work would be worth it. We'll see.

20210422_155925-1.jpg.afe9edb010f83632341a2acf08c9f3e1.jpg

39 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

Model Master did make a Pontiac engine blue #2728. Your Jeepster looks like it might be TS-58 pearl light blue? It is pretty close.

No, it's painted with Dupli Color. Can't remember the name of it. 

I have the basic engine put together.  The block and transmission are from the Camaro. Block is painted Dupli Color Avignon Blue. The transmission is Tamiya Mica Silver. The heads and valve covers are from the Revell '55 P/S. The heads are painted with Plasti Kote Aluminum. The valve covers are chrome with a coat of Tamiya Semi Gloss. The intake is from the AMT '57 Corvette with a coat of Tamiya Flat Clear over the chrome. I may stick a Dominator carb on it or use one from the Camaro. No idea on a breather yet.

20210424_151827-1.jpg.b227525f4c8a16665c340f655ffccfaf.jpg

The wheels are now complete with the knockoffs. Not sure if I like them. I'll do a mockup and see. If I don't like them, I'll paint them black. 

20210424_153041-1.jpg.e2be8f7c4249c6174b87af1e12572a52.jpg

I also have the new interior in paint. No photos. I'll take some when it's done. Just needs some foil and the dash detailed to be ready to assemble.

I like the wheels as they are, I think the highlights add something and they'd look a bit plain just black.

Great to see your progress on this. I'm amused by your term of "cross frustration" - I try not to let that happen with my kits as they're just about fun and relaxation, but it neatly summarises a work situation I have right now.....

6 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I like the wheels as they are, I think the highlights add something and they'd look a bit plain just black.

Great to see your progress on this. I'm amused by your term of "cross frustration" - I try not to let that happen with my kits as they're just about fun and relaxation, but it neatly summarises a work situation I have right now.....

Thanx Nigel! The knockoffs are what I'm unsure about. I never have been a fan of them. I'm thinking I'll yank them and trim the blades off so that it looks like a center cap. To me, the knockoffs are just a little too much. Too busy looking. I liked how the wheels looked without them better. So, I'm thinking of painting the center cap black also. I may like them once I see them on the model. But, by themselves, they're not doing it for me. 

2 hours ago, slusher said:

Roger, what seats did you use?  Interior and color looks beautiful!

Thanx Carl! The bucket seats are from an MPC '85 Corvette and the rear seat is from the Revell '69 Camaro. I don't care for the mismatch. But, it is what it is. 

This'll probably be the last update on this project. I have it in the home stretch now! I just gotta keep picking away at the little things to get it put on the shelf. The chassis is all together. Just have to add the disc brakes to the wheels and a little detail painting.

I really like how the red interior goes with this color!

20210430_204030-1.jpg.d20b5c41b01c9c373bfc39b956e99d7a.jpg

20210430_204138-1.jpg.0f1aca47dd726e081131c138b44d2013.jpg

20210430_204206-1.jpg.6a030b5e6713b32679821907d6545284.jpg

I'm going to put a small decal on the center of the knockoffs so the chrome isn't so overpowering.

20210430_204331-1.jpg.1af136f4712a836f935864c68459f1bf.jpg 

Thanx to everyone who followed along and commented! Much appreciated!