Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy Trucks

This may be better suited elsewhere, if so, sorry.

I am wanting to backdate the Deserter to a 78.

#1, is it possible? (I am a FOMOCO guy and GM are out of my knowledge zone)

#2, Anybody make a replacement grill from the MPC 78 Chevy stepside in resin?

I know Revell offers the Big Game 78 Chevy, but it is 1/24 and I am doing a group build with other 1/25 cars and trucks.

Thanks

If you want to backdate it to a '78, you'll need a '78 cab and grille. The front fenders are different from '81 up. The '81 up fenders have a noticeable downward slope where the '73-'80s are almost level (more squared). You can't just stick a '78 grille and bumper onto an '84 to turn it into a '78.

54 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

If you want to backdate it to a '78, you'll need a '78 cab and grille. The front fenders are different from '81 up. The '81 up fenders have a noticeable downward slope where the '73-'80s are almost level (more squared). You can't just stick a '78 grille and bumper onto an '84 to turn it into a '78.

I looked and see the difference. Thanks

I am not against some surgery on the fenders. 

Edited by Sledsel

I am currently making a mid 70's fleetside and the way I did it was to use the 78 GMC Big Game Country Revell kit and used the grille out of the 1976 Chevy Sport stepside Revell kit. I'm not sure the 76 grille is the same as the 78 but I'm sure they are close...

1 hour ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

It's older, issued a couple times that I know of. The black one is an earlier Hot Rod release of the same. 

20210109_235301.jpg

20210109_235234.jpg

Okay, that is the one I was thinking of. Was released as a "basic builder" also.  Thanks, I changed my wanted post.

The current 76 Stepside isn't mis-labelled as a 1/24 is it?

Edited by Sledsel

3 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Okay, that is the one I was thinking of. Was released as a "basic builder" also.  Thanks, I changed my wanted post.

The current 76 Stepside isn't mis-labelled as a 1/24 is it?

It's 1/24 like the plow truck and big game. Looks like the same cabs for all three. 

I agree with Roger, keep an eye out for an MPC kit that's missing some parts. I picked up a Mule Skinner for $40 that someone had robbed the front suspension from. You can replace almost anything that's missing with parts from the from the Deserter kit. I think the cab, hood, grille, bumpers, firewall, and bed are the only major parts that are different. 

The Revell kit isn't that good and if you want it stock you're still going to be missing some hard to find pieces like stock bumpers. The chassis is also their "one size fits all" job from that time period.

4 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

This one is also 1/25.

20210318_012815.jpg

The problem with the cab from this tow truck version is the visor is molded to the cab, which is not stock. It also has the cut out in the roof that earlier versions had for a sunroof, this has a plastic piece that fills in the sunroof and serves as a mount for the air horns and marker lights. The engine bay is also very crude. 

As Brian mentioned, there are other cabs from MPC out there that are better representations if you insist on 1/25 scale. 

3 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

The problem with the cab from this tow truck version is the visor is molded to the cab, which is not stock. It also has the cut out in the roof that earlier versions had for a sunroof, this has a plastic piece that fills in the sunroof and serves as a mount for the air horns and marker lights. The engine bay is also very crude. 

As Brian mentioned, there are other cabs from MPC out there that are better representations if you insist on 1/25 scale. 

Yes the tow truck wouldn't be the best choice, but the front clip is very close to the same as the street pickup after cutting out the engine top. 

20210318_094411.jpg

14 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Why not just buy an MPC '78? You can get a decent deal on them on ebay. You'd have everything you need and still be able to build two pickups. 

Been watching and the prices were up there a bit.  $60 and higher

1 hour ago, Sledsel said:

Been watching and the prices were up there a bit.  $60 and higher

You can either spend the money and save a lot of time or save some money and spend a lot of time. Depends on which one you value the most.