Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite Online Model Store?

My first go-to is an independent 'brick & mortar' store in Burbank , California Burbank's House of Hobbies . Their service-- online and in-store-- is the absolute BEST ; a great store to visit in-person , too . I always shop small businesses first . 

If they don't have what I'm looking for ( i.e. , out-of-production kits , or certain supplies ) then I'll go to eBay or Model Roundup . 

1 hour ago, stinkybritches said:

I use scalehobbyist a lot. They are always the first place I look for something.

This one for me too because the price is so much cheaper than elsewhere. however the shipping cost will negate the savings if only buying a couple of things. I typically buy extra to make it worth it. For example, i bought 3 cans of paint from a retail store, paying full price. I checked this place after and it was much cheaper, but ince shipping was added, it was the same.

I always check Amazon first but never for tamiya supplies or tools like sandpaper or cutters. Almost every time i have, it looks like a fake. But for kits and such, i check Amazon first because of free shipping. 

Hobby lobby has the models on sale all the time, but again the shipping is high, so unless you are buying several, its not worth it over lhs

Edited by youpey

On 3/18/2021 at 12:56 PM, Cornpatch said:

I use Mega Hobby always get great service from them and another one that is really great to deal with is Warrens Hobbies. I deal most always with these two because of the availability of models, paints and price. Plus both ship very fast.

I use Warrens Hobbies also... I've bought a bunch of kits 3 different times from him and each time the kits were delivered in a timely manner....😎👍

For years it used to be Tower Hobbies but they always seem to be out of stock or get models in after everyone else so haven't done business with them for quite awhile now. Model Roundup is quick but their shipping cost is high to me. Good selection there and I get my Tamiya paints too.

Hobbylinc is good and HobbyLink Japan is good for models you might not find stateside.

This depends on your favorite subject.  I prefer foreign vehicles, so Spot Model has been good for me.  I have found some scarce models on the various Facebook Marketplace groups.  And I have acquired a few off eBay.  As Tony already mentioned, HobbyLink is very good, but how is the status of mail shutdown because of CV-1984 doing?

I’ll shamelessly self promote my store, www.hobbynutmodels.com 

I am a small growing business, I do this full time, not a second job for me. I carry both new and used model kits, I sell all the major kit manufacturers, Salvinos JR, Tamiya, Fujimi, Aoshima, Round 2, Moebius, AMT, ROG, Rev-Monogram, and a few more. I often bring things in from Europe or Asia for some harder to find kits in the US such as Aoshima and Fujimi.

I also carry a full line of auto detailing accessories including, Gofer, Scale Motorsports, Detail Master, KA Models, Ken’s, MCG, Parts by Parks, and I just got in a shipment of Pro-Tech this morning. I also get NOS and open box used kits in every week, I have over 50 kits I will be adding to my inventory over the next couple weeks. I check every open box kit and inventory all the pieces, if any have issues I will take a picture and include it in the listing. I also offer a “finder” service for especially hard to find kits. 

I set up a special link that gives anyone on this forum a 10% discount, I would appreciate if you would at least take a quick look. 
https://www.hobbynutmodels.com/discount/MCMF10

5F7DF898-1BF4-4390-A2A8-F08F9E8A316F.jpeg.764b6142c4db1c6d94cc83d6ccc4ec25.jpeg

11 minutes ago, HobbyNutModels said:

I’ll shamelessly self promote my store, www.hobbynutmodels.com 

I am a small growing business, I do this full time, not a second job for me. I carry both new and used model kits, I sell all the major kit manufacturers, Salvinos JR, Tamiya, Fujimi, Aoshima, Round 2, Moebius, AMT, ROG, Rev-Monogram, and a few more. I often bring things in from Europe or Asia for some harder to find kits in the US such as Aoshima and Fujimi.

I also carry a full line of auto detailing accessories including, Gofer, Scale Motorsports, Detail Master, KA Models, Ken’s, MCG, Parts by Parks, and I just got in a shipment of Pro-Tech this morning. I also get NOS and open box used kits in every week, I have over 50 kits I will be adding to my inventory over the next couple weeks. I check every open box kit and inventory all the pieces, if any have issues I will take a picture and include it in the listing. I also offer a “finder” service for especially hard to find kits. 

I set up a special link that gives anyone on this forum a 10% discount, I would appreciate if you would at least take a quick look. 
https://www.hobbynutmodels.com/discount/MCMF10

5F7DF898-1BF4-4390-A2A8-F08F9E8A316F.jpeg.764b6142c4db1c6d94cc83d6ccc4ec25.jpeg

Wow Kurt, I was shocked when I saw your address. I'm in Columbia, TN, roughly an hour from you. And I didn't think there was a Hobby Shop in the Nashville area. I'll try to visit your store when I can.

5 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Wow Kurt, I was shocked when I saw your address. I'm in Columbia, TN, roughly an hour from you. And I didn't think there was a Hobby Shop in the Nashville area. I'll try to visit your store when I can.

Right now it’s online only, my business license does not allow any visitors, however I will be opening a new retail location in early 2022. 

I have a LHS nearby that I've bought from.  They are pretty competitive, and no shipping charges!  Also a Hobby Lobby not far away.  I've gotten some kits off of ebay, but I am very selective and basically cheap.  I'm actually impressed with HobbyLinc.  I just yesterday received my second order from them.  67 items and absolutely 100% correct (a bunch of paint and supplies and a few kits).  I'll continue to use HobbyLinc.

On 3/20/2021 at 11:13 AM, TransAmMike said:

There actually is in Smyrna. Family Hobby. Big into RC but they have models. In Nashville there is Hudson Hobbies. Not recommended unless you like cat pee and piles of garbage. I use Model Empire but I can visit that one in person, also Model Cave in Michigan is good. They got me a Heller kit that Model Empire did not have.

10 hours ago, lordairgtar said:

There actually is in Smyrna. Family Hobby. Big into RC but they have models. In Nashville there is Hudson Hobbies. Not recommended unless you like cat pee and piles of garbage. I use Model Empire but I can visit that one in person, also Model Cave in Michigan is good. They got me a Heller kit that Model Empire did not have.

Don't know about Family Hobby but I'm pretty sure I went th Hudson....small cluttered place in strip mall, wasn't impressed.