Model Cars Magazine Forum

*Removing Chrome*

I have not used it myself. It may or may not remove chrome, but pretty sure it will not screw up your parts, so ok to have a go. Other chrome strippers include bleach, Castrol Super Clean, Easy-off HD oven cleaner (NOT the fresh scent stuff). There are other chrome removers as well.

Many products will remove the shiny chrome, but the clear lacquer undercoat is more difficult to remove. It is not necessary to remove the undercoat if all you want to do is paint the part. However, the undercoat can obliterate a lot of fine, molded detail on the parts. It is often desirable to remove the undercoat in order to restore this detail. Fresh Castrol Super Clean is sometimes successful at removing this undercoat, though I have had better luck with brake fluid. Brake fluid can be messy to work with, though. Perhaps 91% or 99% isopropyl alcohol with remove the undercoat, too. I have not tried it, but it does work well at stripping lacquers.

52 minutes ago, Bainford said:

I have not used it myself. It may or may not remove chrome, but pretty sure it will not screw up your parts, so ok to have a go. Other chrome strippers include bleach, Castrol Super Clean, Easy-off HD oven cleaner (NOT the fresh scent stuff). There are other chrome removers as well.

Many products will remove the shiny chrome, but the clear lacquer undercoat is more difficult to remove. It is not necessary to remove the undercoat if all you want to do is paint the part. However, the undercoat can obliterate a lot of fine, molded detail on the parts. It is often desirable to remove the undercoat in order to restore this detail. Fresh Castrol Super Clean is sometimes successful at removing this undercoat, though I have had better luck with brake fluid. Brake fluid can be messy to work with, though. Perhaps 91% or 99% isopropyl alcohol with remove the undercoat, too. I have not tried it, but it does work well at stripping lacquers.

Word!B)

If you just want to remove the shiny chrome part, about 5-10 minutes in common household ammonia does the job. So fast you can almost watch it happen. B)

Just look at AMT or MPC chrome wrong and it comes off. Revell chrome (in my experience anyway) has a much tougher undercoat layer to remove. You will probably need one of the stronger strippers like the Easy-Off for that.

3 hours ago, Rodent said:

Just look at AMT or MPC chrome wrong and it comes off. Revell chrome (in my experience anyway) has a much tougher undercoat layer to remove. You will probably need one of the stronger strippers like the Easy-Off for that.

I agree.  There are many different types of model "chrome" out there and each seems to need it's own chemical to take it off.  Often that is because there may be three layers or more of different coatings.  Sodium Hydroxide(super clean and oven cleaner) will take most of them off, but sometimes you have to go through a series of strips with NcOH  and alcohol. DOT 3 Brake fluid also may need to be thrown in the mix.  NEVER COMBINE THEM IN THE SAME CONTAINER.   Use them separately and rinse them thoroughly.   Also get a good pair of rubber chemical gloves to protect your flesh.  

22 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Thanks for all the info fellows.  Since I'm just painting it looks like I won't need to remove the chrome.

Maybe......

To me, it depends on what you are painting. Some of the "chrome" is really heavy and a few layers of paint over that will further obscure detail. You might be surprised at how much crisper the molded part looks without its chrome. 

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

Maybe......

To me, it depends on what you are painting. Some of the "chrome" is really heavy and a few layers of paint over that will further obscure detail. You might be surprised at how much crisper the molded part looks without its chrome. 

Good point.

8 hours ago, Zippi said:

I have some Dawn Power Dissolver on hand.  Anyone ever use this?  I don't want to take the chance of screwing my parts up?

Cut a chunk of the chrome sprue off and soak it. Then you will know if it does or doesn’t work.

Dawn power dissolver is effective at removing paint, and chrome. It seems to work like a less harsh oven cleaner.  I have not seen it in stores for some time, so lucky you for finding some. It also works very well for the intended purpose of cleaning cookware. 

On 3/18/2021 at 11:46 PM, kurth said:

Dawn power dissolver is effective at removing paint, and chrome. It seems to work like a less harsh oven cleaner.  I have not seen it in stores for some time, so lucky you for finding some. It also works very well for the intended purpose of cleaning cookware. 

I had a bottle of the Dawn power dissolver setting in my cabinet in the garage for a few years so I'll give it a go and see what happens.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, Classicgas said:

I find bleach works well for most chrome, you can usually watch it dissolve. If it's extra tough, yellow can Easy Off oven cleaner.

Bleach will not remove the glossy clear undercoat that the "chromed" parts are sprayed with before metalizing.  Sometimes the clear coat is laid on fairly thickly.  To fully strip the parts to bare plastic, it is important to use stripper that will handle both. Any Sodium Hudroxide (Lye) based products will work well.

On 3/18/2021 at 11:46 PM, kurth said:

I had a bottle of the Dawn power dissolver setting in my cabinet in the garage for a few years so I'll give it a go and see what happens.  Thanks.

I tried the Dawn Power Dissolver and didn't have any luck.  I'll try the bleach method tomorrow since the wife has some on hand.  

26 minutes ago, youpey said:

i use coca cola. put the part in a bottle of coke or pepsi and let it sit for 2 or 3 days. shocking but true

Well, any acid or alkaline solution will dissolve the thin layer of aluminum "chrome", and Coke contains Phosphoric Acid.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/list/50-things-you-had-no-idea-you-could-do-with-coca-cola/
https://www.hunker.com/13727284/surprising-uses-for-coca-cola
https://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/20-unusual-uses-for-coca-cola-that-youve-never-considered.html
and many other examples - just Google for "100 uses for Coca Cola".

15 hours ago, Zippi said:

I tried the Dawn Power Dissolver and didn't have any luck.  I'll try the bleach method tomorrow since the wife has some on hand.  

Bummer, sorry it did not work for you.  I used to love the stuff when it was commonly available.