Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1942 Ford Pickup


Gramps46
 Share

Recommended Posts

This model caught me by surprise.  It is a Danbury Mint 1942 Ford pickup. 

Surprise 1 - I did not realize Ford was still selling civilian pickups in 1942.

Surprise 2 - I did not know Danbury Mint made a '42 Ford Pickup

Surprise 3 -  I found the DM Ford on the bay complete for half the going price.

20210319_213920.jpg.33937363c38943f8f0f9acd25128500a.jpg20210319_214109.jpg.abcf36edaa028c7e963b52de45af484b.jpg20210319_213958.jpg.c0d696754e4d5c14550a7231d2c43ac3.jpg20210319_214024.jpg.bdf05a6782a7535dc77d2c94859ff076.jpg20210319_214133.jpg.7c41868905afe901f62e47fb77d77816.jpg20210319_214046.jpg.d99322bd94d1181fb8f246a43058456d.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These trucks are great aren't they! The first time I saw one, I just had to have it. That jail bar front end! I picked up one for cheap a couple months ago. I'd been hunting one for awhile. Just missed one for $15.00 that was perfect. My phone wouldn't bid. No one bid and I lost out. I picked up the one I got for a better deal because the shipping was cheaper and the bid was only a few dollars more. If I could change one thing it would be the whitewalls.  

Edited by THarrison351
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2021 at 10:08 PM, THarrison351 said:

These trucks are great aren't they! The first time I saw one, I just had to have it. That jail bar front end! I picked up one for cheap a couple months ago. I'd been hunting one for awhile. Just missed one for $15.00 that was perfect. My phone wouldn't bid. No one bid and I lost out. I picked up the one I got for a better deal because the shipping was cheaper and the bid was only a few dollars more. If I could change one thing it would be the whitewalls.  

Why eliminate the White Walls ? The Best wearing, Puncture Resistant  Premium Tires were Whitewalls . This has :  R Bumper , Dual Wipers . Heater . Optioned out and loaded up . Why would a Buyer skimp on tires at the Verge of Nationwide Rationing I ask ?  A Yard Ornament won't be useful for other than Scrap during War Time . IMHO you did not live it or understand the times . This is a Perfect Replica ..Thanx 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, dimaxion said:

IMHO you did not live it or understand the times .

No I didn't, its just every time I see a period photograph or advertisement, trucks don't have wide whitewalls. I don't think truck buyers bought the premium puncture resistant tires for work trucks. They bought what could be afforded or what was available, especially once tires were being rationed during the war. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

No I didn't, its just every time I see a period photograph or advertisement, trucks don't have wide whitewalls. I don't think truck buyers bought the premium puncture resistant tires for work trucks. They bought what could be afforded or what was available, especially once tires were being rationed during the war. 

I agree with the Advertisements being Black Walls . Family Members were Car Sales / Service Professionals . I was a Car Guy since I could Talk . I did pay attention when Grown Ups Spoke . This did not translate into the Frugal Buyer keeping up the White Walls nor the Truck as Pristine . Just the Frugal Buyer spent the Cash for the White Walls until there weren't any . The Premium Tire always did have the Best Materials and gives the most Reliability and Wear . White Wall Tires seem to be Publicly distasteful these days . I constantly see badmouthing . Such as "On Roll Aids" . To myself , seeing a Restoration with Black Walls when it had White Walls Originally and all the Time it was used for Transportation make my Eyeballs Bleed . lol ..  Thanx .. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 8:08 PM, THarrison351 said:

No I didn't, its just every time I see a period photograph or advertisement, trucks don't have wide whitewalls. I don't think truck buyers bought the premium puncture resistant tires for work trucks. They bought what could be afforded or what was available, especially once tires were being rationed during the war. 

You're correct. Even when I was growing up in the 1960's, it was extremely rare to see whitewalls on pickup trucks. Before that, it was unheard of. I also have that Danbury Mint '42 Ford pickup which I bought on eBay. All U.S. automakers produced 1942 cars and trucks for civilians because they had been introduced in September 1941 before Pearl Harbor was attacked. Civilian production ended in early February 1942. 

Interesting tidbit: DeSoto's 1942 model had hidden headlights for the first time on it's '42 models. After the war, DeSoto never offered that again, making the '42 DeSoto one of the rarest cars ever. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Remember that during the period this was available nearly everything was rationed including of course tires. It was s very common practice for local law enforcement to recommend that everyone record the serial numbers on your tires. Outright theft was rampant and having that information helped recover those precious tires.You used what ever was available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, misterNNL said:

Remember that during the period this was available nearly everything was rationed including of course tires. It was a very common practice for local law enforcement to recommend that everyone record the serial numbers on your tires. Outright theft was rampant and having that information helped recover those precious tires.You used what ever was available.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...