Model Cars Magazine Forum

1949 Talbot Lago T26C Belgium GP winner

Hello,

Inspired by Pascal's exquisite Bugatti build over at Motorsports forum, I pulled this from the stash.  Let's be honest: I just want to do something blue :)
This is the Atlantis reissue of the very old Smer/Merit kit.  This kit was originally released in the 1950's.  It is a very basic and crude kit by today's standards and it does not lend itself to super-detailing unless you scratchbuild and replace everything.  I'm not in the mood for that on this car. Besides, I'm far from been knowledgeable on these cars. So it will be an exercise in the basics.  I'm promising myself to refrain from going wild.  From the research I've done I want to make it as the 1949 Belgian Grand Prix winner driven by Louis Rosier.   Louis Chiron won the 1949 French Grand Prix in one of these cars as well.
This will be a long term project.  

2v2a34tN5xJ21ND.jpg

This is all there is to it.  Very basic. Even the tires are molded in plastic.
2v2a34tjrxJ21ND.jpg

As previously stated, I'm not an expert on these cars. But the proportions look good. This will take some work to make fit properly.
2v2a34trNxJ21ND.jpg

Let's see where this goes!

Thanks,

Hello,

Cleaned the body halves, hood and nose of considerable flash.  Prepared the body halves and gluing.  (Feels so good to glue styrene!)  Hood fit needs help.  Added material to improve fit. That will take some fiddling around but no big deal. Started working seam lines.

2v2a3nYm9xJ21ND.jpg

2v2a3nYC2xJ21ND.jpg

2v2a3nYWUxJ21ND.jpg

2v2a3nYnuxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Looking forward to your progress as I have these in the stash as well . Just for your information if I remember right indycals has a resin engine and maybe a few other parts available for both of these kits . If you come up with a better looking tire wheel set for these please let me know thanks .rob 

Hello,

Saw the engine set on indycals.  It looks great but I'll pass this time.   Most likely I'll glue the hood shut to simplify this project.  I did order the decals for Rosier's Belgian GP winning car.  The wheels are a big no-no.  I will most likely use a set of Deeks PE wire wheels.   Fernando Pinto wire wheels seem to be the best option but they are pricey.  Trying to keep this one "simple", whatever that means :)

Thanks,

On 3/23/2021 at 12:23 PM, ismaelg said:

Hello,

Saw the engine set on indycals.  It looks great but I'll pass this time.   Most likely I'll glue the hood shut to simplify this project.  I did order the decals for Rosier's Belgian GP winning car.  The wheels are a big no-no.  I will most likely use a set of Deeks PE wire wheels.   Fernando Pinto wire wheels seem to be the best option but they are pricey.  Trying to keep this one "simple", whatever that means :)

Thanks,

Hi thanks for the info can you give me any contact info for the Herb deeks wheels ? Are they very expensive ? And where are they available at ? Thanks .rob looking forward to your build 

Edited by Jasper018

Hello,

A friend put me in contact with Herb Deeks.   I'll let you know how it goes as he is not as active as he was.

So, what do you call a stylized piece of styrene with a little hole in it?
2v2avwW5JxJ21ND.jpg

a dashboard :)
2v2avwWNzxJ21ND.jpg
It fits properly. It is just the the weight of the steering wheel crooked it a bit as it is not glued in place yet.

Thanks,

Hello,

Working some sink marks after re-shaping and cleaning the grille opening as per references. 
2v2avM9CoxJ21ND.jpg

The exhaust is molded solid as expected.  No real place where I could split and use aluminum tubing.  So I'm just carefully drilling the tips. One almost done, the other still untouched.  This makes a big difference.
2v2avM9hzxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

There is very little reference on the car I'm doing.  For some reason, the 1949 French Grand Prix is very well documented and so are the English race and others.  But not the Belgium GP.  So after extensive research online, this is my estimation on how the pedals may have looked on Rosier's T26C.  This is based on hours of research of period pictures, restored cars  and road going T26 Talbots.  By the way, you can barely see this anyways. 
The stick is not the gear selector.  These cars used Wilson pre-select transmissions.  That lever is to select forward, neutral  or reverse.

2v2a9vTAMxJ21ND.jpg

2v2a9vT7NxJ21ND.jpg

2v2a9vTsjxJ21ND.jpg

Also worked on the seat to give it some texture and life.

2v2a9w4CWxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hello,

After a 10 months hiatus, it is time to relight this candle. 

I'll start with what was done last year but was not posted. Then will catch up to current state.

According to my research, Talbot road cars had white gauges with black numbers.  But the race cars used black gauges with white numbers and needles. By the way, after extensive research I've found these cars used different gauge layouts in the dash. I haven't found a picture of the dash of Louis Rosier's 1949 Belgium Gran Prix (June 19, 1949) winning car so I'll go with the closest one: Louis Chiron's French Grand Prix (July 17, 1949) sister car from one month later.  Both the kit's decal sheet and the aftermarket set have white gauges with black numbers. That's not right.  So I designed and made my own.  After measuring ad-nauseum, I printed a few in slightly different sizes to pick the best ones.
Now, cutting these will be an adventure...

2v2aUTE4UxJ21ND.jpg

The nose needs to be painted separately and fitted last after suspension is in place.  Making sure the nose fits perfectly before painting.  Overall getting closer to that important milestone of first color coat.
2v2a92iLaxJ21ND.jpg

2v2a92igexJ21ND.jpg

2v2a92iWvxJ21ND.jpg

Added texture to the otherwise crude seat.  Added the pedals.
2v2a9w4CWxJ21ND.jpg

The stick is not the gear selector.  These cars used Wilson pre-select transmissions. More on that later.  That lever is to select forward, neutral  or reverse.

2v2a9vTAMxJ21ND.jpg

I am NOT going for a show car. This will be a well preserved but used RACE car.  The seat looks good for been over 70 years old. 

2v2au655SxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

Hello,

It was time to get serious:

Yep, these are the kit's plastic tires.
2v2auZdsCxJ21ND.jpg

Forget the car. I'll just display these :)
2v2au65SDxJ21ND.jpg

and... first color coat. 

2v2auVA2WxJ21ND.jpg

Kit's toe link:
2v2aeryygxJ21ND.jpg

My toe link:
2v2aeryMhxJ21ND.jpg

2v2aeryjqxJ21ND.jpg

2v2aery8FxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael