Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Survivor

echo

image.thumb.jpeg.f53ca32fcb77618b16349cb96c9f3382.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.44ca1ec5fa4b1256b9f84eeabe465eb6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b5af66cd653568458e711ce0534972eb.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0bd00c8eea06ea8136efc9700b76c7d7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.77dad5cf5e8517c94e6135c4b7e6dd62.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e6b00dbd4e0b4dfc494fc55b96a92313.jpegThis is a car I built in 1965 when I was a youngster. I thought it was a great looking car with the large cartoon. I had read an article in the old Rod & Custom Models magazine about doing your own lettering with a brush so I had lettered a few models before this one.  At that time if you wanted to replicate a current race car that was your only option as aftermarket decals wouldn't come around for decades.  This was a craftsman kit, requiring cutting open the hood, adding an engine, rear end and height adjustment.  The model survived in pretty good shape, requiring some minor repairs and part replacements. Also a good cleaning.  So here it is with all the modeling technology from 1965.

• Like 1

Wow! Great job on the screaming man logo and all-around scratch building on an old craftsman kit. Funny coincidence, I am in the process of building a ‘65 Chevelle Super stocker using the Revell kit and am building Kelly Chadwick’s car because of the Slixx decal set being available. I would have built this Tom Sturm car if there had been decals out there for it. Love the dated 60’s advertising look of the man screaming “FOR CHEVY LOVERS!!!!!” Thanks for posting your impressive +50 yr old build.

Very cool!  It is very neat to have your own personal history preserved!   Aside from that it's a survivor that needs to be preserved for what it is!  A very unique build from that early era.   I'd cry if someone stripped it down to "restore" into a modern build!

Are you on Facebook?  This car needs to be shared on the Survivor board Dave Darby runs there!  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who replied and for the positive comments about the model. I will try to answer the questions that were asked. I wish the model was in one of the old publications but no it wasn't.

I'm not on facebook so it wont be on that site. Someone did make decals for this car but it was years ago and I can't remember who it was.  I have a lot of my early builds they are in sad states of repair having been moved around in the past years ,this one survived the best and only required a through cleaning and replacing a couple of parts. I will try and make some of the other survivors I have presentable and post them in the future.