Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

How about a '59 & 60 Edsel wagon??


Recommended Posts

Resin casters have made copies of the '58 edsel wagon in both 2 and 4 door versions, But will any casters take the challenge to make copies of the '59 & 60 Edsel wagons? IMHO the '59 Edsel was the best looking of the three years .Even the looks of the '59 front  was used as  the basis for the  grill headlight design on the '62 Fairlane's  If you remove the center part of the '59 edsel's grill that is.

5333118-1962-ford-fairlane-std-c.jpg

1200px-59_Edsel_Villager_(9129545409).jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/20/2021 at 6:44 PM, ranma said:

Resin casters have made copies of the '58 edsel wagon in both 2 and 4 door versions, But will any casters take the challenge to make copies of the '59 & 60 Edsel wagons? IMHO the '59 Edsel was the best looking of the three years .Even the looks of the '59 front  was used as  the basis for the  grill headlight design on the '62 Fairlane's  If you remove the center part of the '59 edsel's grill that is.

 

1200px-59_Edsel_Villager_(9129545409).jpg

reminds me of my first car...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 3/21/2021 at 11:36 AM, Repstock said:

Yes I tried to find out who had done the casting of that, without any luck. Must not have been in the biz very long??? Internet search  only comes up with the '58 edsel two door wagons as being made for sale now.

Edited by ranma
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone could combine the Revell '57 Ford wagon with the AMT '58 Edsel kit to make a '59/'59 Edsel wagon. The tail light parts were in the old AMT '57 Ford Fairlane kit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/31/2021 at 1:02 PM, espo said:

Someone could combine the Revell '57 Ford wagon with the AMT '58 Edsel kit to make a '59/'59 Edsel wagon. The tail light parts were in the old AMT '57 Ford Fairlane kit. 

Those were the taillights for the Edsel Bermuda, the up-scale model wagon. The Villager, as shown above, uses completely different taillights. Can't bash those kits to make a '59, the fenders, hoods, grilles all different from 58. I've been gathering parts to make a '59 Villager for a while now. I'm using a Jimmy Flintstone '59 Ford wagon, (which uses 90% commonality with the Edsel wagon) and a '59 promo for the dog house. Will have to scratch build taillights and side chrome. I did the body work on my uncle's '59 Villager last year, and that inspired me!

IMG_20191111_163912.jpg

P1020843.JPG

P1020844.JPG

Edited by bisc63
updated info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like your idea of the '59 Edsel wagon. My thought behind my comments was to create a '58 Edsel wagon by using the '58 Edsel front and the '57 Ford wagon for  the remainder. I admit to not knowing all of the details of the differences between the Ford and Edsel bodies. I do recall that in that era many full size Fords  were modified with the Edsel wagon tail lights and even some had the front end sheet metal as well. I remember building the early AMT '57 Ford Fairlane hard top kit and noticed the Edsel tail lights that were included at the time. I think this may have been AMT's attempt to offer what was a fairly common style of that time period. I do remember that Ford started the '59 model year with a different body across the board and I agree that would make the tail lights very different. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, espo said:

I like your idea of the '59 Edsel wagon. My thought behind my comments was to create a '58 Edsel wagon by using the '58 Edsel front and the '57 Ford wagon for  the remainder. I admit to not knowing all of the details of the differences between the Ford and Edsel bodies. I do recall that in that era many full size Fords  were modified with the Edsel wagon tail lights and even some had the front end sheet metal as well. I remember building the early AMT '57 Ford Fairlane hard top kit and noticed the Edsel tail lights that were included at the time. I think this may have been AMT's attempt to offer what was a fairly common style of that time period. I do remember that Ford started the '59 model year with a different body across the board and I agree that would make the tail lights very different. 

Or you could made an Edsel Ranchero from 1958...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, thatz4u said:

Or you could made an Edsel Ranchero from 1958...

I remember seeing a 1:1 '58 Ranchero in about 1962 that had an Edsel nose on it.  At the time it was hard to tell that it was a '58 since the tail lights on the '57 and '58 Ranchero bodies were much the same. The trim on the dash was the only reason I thought it was a '58. I always thought the Edsel had a unique look and the body parts were inexpensive at the time since everyone was still making Edsel jokes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, john sharisky said:

I don't want there to be a misunderstanding: that's not my build.

John

John, I understand, it was still a useful article...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a resin '58 Edsel 4 door wagon that I got that was already built. Casting was All American resin models. The wagon is nicely done by who ever had built it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, vairnut said:

Ray Parsons of R&R did the '59 Edsel wagon along with hardtops and convertibles. Picked one up 15 yrs ago. Not sure how long he had it available.

Cool to know, but I have never come across one. I used to enjoy  perusing Ray's wares at the Derby City Shootout model show and contest in Louisville. Always fun to talk cars with Ray, and I bought several bodies from him through the years. I really miss the old guy, and that show! I'd love to find one of those 59 wagons, it would save me a bunch of work!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...